First big gold! (but I don't get to keep it)

Porsche914

Elite Member
Last summer I was at Padre Island for a family reunion and as always when near the shore, I had my metal detector in tow. I like to detect in the evening when people are leaving the island so you can see where the lanes are for detecting. I had been walking for about 10 minutes when a man approached me and started with what I thought were going to be the usual questions. He asked if I could find jewelry and then followed up with a story of how his wife lost her wedding ring within the first 10 minutes of arriving at the beach. She was sitting in a lawn chair, took the ring off and set it on the arm while she applied lotion and it was gone. I had them clear out all of their stuff and then started a grid search. Appearently the family had been looking for the ring off and on for most of the day primarily by kicking and moving the sand around where she had dropped it. After searching their camp area I started working my way to the water when I finally got a strong signal. It was the ring and it had traveled nearly 20 yards over the course of the day. There were tears from her and a sigh of releif from the husband since he was not going to have to spend $4k on another ring. I was offered $200 for my efforts but told them "all I want is a picture".

Attachments

• South Padre Gold.JPG
    South Padre Gold.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 823
Awesome of you! Wow 20 yards, crazy! In the frantic search maybe it got flung:?: kicked by some toes, found and lost again... Anyhoo, nice find, you made them very happy! Congratulations!

Second big gold! (and I don't get to keep it, again!)

I went to look at a truck at one of the mom and pop dealers here in town and after the test drive I noticed they had two abandoned farm houses on the property. So, I asked if I could search the property because it never hurts to ask, all they can say is no. The owner said yes and to come by on Saturday. Well, I was there when they opened at 9am. Another employee perked up when he saw what was going on and asked if I "could find gold with that thing"? His son had borrowed and lost a ring, gold with about 1/2 carat of diamonds and it was right outside the door. We walked out, I turned on the detector, made one swing and there it was!
I am still waiting on this KARMA thing, because I was basically skunked for the rest of the hunt and didn't even make gas money. :(

Attachments

• Metal Detecting GOLD! 001 (640x427).jpg
    Metal Detecting GOLD! 001 (640x427).jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 774
  • Metal Detecting GOLD! 002 (640x427).jpg
    Metal Detecting GOLD! 002 (640x427).jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 760
Well at least you got your detector to find gold so its definitely a keeper!

WOW !! WTG !! Good karma will be coming your way soon. Those are two killer stories and with great pics to boot. Even though you didn't get to keep either ring, I bet that warm, fuzzy feeling you get when you find something for sombody is pretty darn awesome too. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome job!!! Congrats on the find and helping!

I have a 914 also!

nice car

Here is picture of mine :cool:

Attachments

• 2010-07-04_08-29-27_397 (Large).jpg
    2010-07-04_08-29-27_397 (Large).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 478
Back
Top Bottom