• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Gold Wedding Band FOUND!!!

jason_k

Today I got a hot lead from xringracing about a lost ring near me in Cleveland posted on Lostmystuff. I called the lady up and agreed to go search for her husbands lost wedding ring.
So, here is the story. He is up on Friday night out on the balcony of his apartment (3rd floor) and catches his finger on the sliding glass door. He flings his hand in pain and off goes the ring. :shock: They suspected that the ring flew off into the grass below but it was dark. This ring is very important to the couple who have only been married 6 months. They are Indian, and this ring has extreme cultural significance.
This afternoon, I get there and start gridding the area below the balcony expecting to get my machine to false when it comes across the ring. My F5 is very clear about if a target is sitting on top of the ground, which is where this ring would be. I gridded parallel to the building and begin my perpendicular gridding. Out of curiosity, I asked the guy if he checked both balconies below his. He said he did, but would go up and look down again from his balcony. Halfway through my perpendicular grid, he hollers down that the ring is on the second floor balcony right under his! :yes: So, I'm not sure if this counts as a find, but I did help encourage him to look again.
Within the next 30 minutes, we successfully recovered his ring with broken blind slats taped together with a usb cord "lasso" taped to the end because the tenant below him was not home.
This experience was really great. It was clear that the owner of the ring was relieved to get it back. Also to show his gratitude, he treated me to a AWESOME Indian meal at a local restaurant. It was the best Indian food I have ever had. :yes:
Even though my detector did not play a part in the recovery of the ring, it was extremely rewarding to help this fellow get his ring back. I'm tempted to count this as my 6th gold ring of the year... What do you think? :?:

The pictures are the owner with his ring back, the owner pointing at the actual location of the ring on the 2nd floor, and the "system" we used to recover the ring.

Enjoy! GL&HH!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 427
Way to go Jason! Helping others like this helps all of us by promoting the good aspects of our hobby. Enjoyed all of the photos and how you guys came up with the neat idea to fish the ring off the balcony with the blinds taped together. Good job!

How did the recovery system work? Was it tape, suction hose or used to knock it off underneath?

That's awesome man! I really wanted to go look for that ring but could not get out to hunt due to spending time with my wife and mother in law on mothers day. So instead, I could think of no better way than to offer it up to you! Had I been able to go, I was going to call you up to go with me:D I'm glad to hear it turned out to be such a great story!

That recovery system looks like something I've rigged up before, except mine didn't work :laughing:

You'll have to let me know where the indian food was from, maybe I'll go there sometime:yes:

Nice story, but...I had to laugh a little at the picture. The shirt was just too funny given the guy is from India. :laughing::laughing:

Great story and congrats. On finding the ring. Just curious why is the wedding ring on his right ring finger?

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think the rings got swapped around somehow. His left hand is behind his back because he was smoking. If you look closer, there are 2 rings on his finger because he already bought a replacement band. All I can say is that these people are really great and I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to help them. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom