• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Recovery Hunt: TIPS NEEDED!

sbaird12

So, a friend of a friend called me and offered me $400 if I could recover his long lost wedding band. He lost it in the yard a few years ago, but he knows the general area where it might be. My question is, do any of you guys have some tips for success? I'm hunting with a Tesoro Silver uMax, but I've gotten pretty good at thumbing with it. That said, I've never hunted a gold ring before (it is a gold band, not sure of the K). Any pointers for me?:?:

I got rained out last week. :( I'll be headed there this thursday. I've nbeen practicing with a friend's wedding band and I'm feeling good!

I would dig everything in that vacinity because you never know there could be trash masking it or it could fall anywhere from Iron to Foil to Nickel to Pull Tab to Penny and anywhere in between. Chances are since it's a men's wedding band it will fall in from Nickel to Pulltab though.

If you try to discriminate and cherry pick the spot you can waste time when you could be digging it all a lot faster. Set the Descrimination at N in Iron or halfway between Iron and Foil and dig all the solid signals if you get tired of all the nails. Just my 2 cents

gold rings are tricky--anything higher than iron and lower than a dime--seems to be the best range:D--10k is the worst--but go slow--digg everything in range mentioned above!!---a normal yard prob doesnt have a lot of junk--good luck!!! Ill laff if you find a different ring--

Don't accept any wooden nickels... That's your free tip. The rest cost $$$!

Post a pic with you and him when you find it oh and keep sens high as possiable and disc around n like mike suggested

A starting point is to get a gold ring and bury it a few inches under the ground. Then sweep your coil over it and register the sound. Then you'll know what a buried gold ring sounds like!

If you have access to or if you friend has a ring very close to size, shape and metal content, bury that one a few inches near the area he thinks he lost the old one. Run your detector over it, note where it hits on your target ID. (also remember to recover the test ring). Then set your detector to dicsriminate all other target IDs. Run your detector over the area a few times. If you dont find it, start expanding your discrimination on both sides of the test ID and keep going over the area till you find it.

Good Luck. Give us a post if you find it.

Back
Top Bottom