Back at the farm

bearbqd

Elite Member
Hey again all. Checked out the woods to the back of the 150 acre old farm I've been visiting. Didn't find anything but newer bullets, casing, shot gun shell end and old nail, but I know there is good stuff out there. This whole area had colonial settlers along with civil war activity. I've also included a photo of the sign right in front of where I work. According to a local historian friend of mine, the site of the fort is half covered directly by a car lot directly behind the sign, but the other half is in open grass which I checked out for about 5 minutes today. It was way too windy and cold so I didn't dig, but I did get a few interesting signals at 6 inches that I will go back and check out.

Attachments

• farm_shot_167.jpg
    farm_shot_167.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 210
You will deffinately find some good stuff there if you hunt long enough. Cladius.

Great looking site bearbqd, just watch out for whats been eating on that bone :D

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm confident I'll find something worth keeping. This site is also hunted by my cats veterinarian (although he sticks near the main road) who has found a few good things I've been told. He found a part of a musket and some good buttons and bullets.

I wanted to throw in this picture of a cool tree back in the woods too. This is the knottiest thing I've ever seen.

I saw them dropping off the tree clearer today. Keep in mind all of this land will be single family homes within the next year. I'm kind of glad to see the first of the heavy equipment come in though. As soon as they start using that, there will be fresh soil to hunt. Gonna get my Exp II next week so that will be great. It finally feels like winter here now though. Been pretty darn nippy, especially when the wind picks up. BRrrrrr. Thought my hands were gonna fall off yesterday when I was hunting in my backyard. Found one of my arrows I lost last summer. WOOHoo.

The photo of the school house is the kind of place myself and mega get fired up on. Man that piece of land looks like a great spot to detect. What does the soil look like [ clay, rocky, or is it good digging soil ] because the problem we are having is so much over growth and lots of iron in the soil.
Keep us posted on what you dig up their, also do you have any idea on how old it is...
Good Luck....

idx, the soil is great digging soil. Very rich. I could probably dig 2 feet straight down just with my hand if needed in most places. I do get a lot of iron hits, especially around the buildings, but I think most of it is farm junk. I saw a guy with a hay wagon there one day and asked him about its age. He thought it was 1800's and said there was a date on one of the burned down barn foundation stones. I couldn't find it though.

Bear, makes me wonder the way the soil is , that things could be a little deeper down. maybe a faster sink rate or sometime like that. There are a couple of places that myself and mega go to , that we haven't dug up anything to talk about ourselves. Next time we get out there we going to try something different and go all metal to get a little deeper.
And what you said about the age of the house being on the foundation, that makes sense, I'll look for that myself on our old houses.
Good Luck on your place...

Back
Top Bottom