• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ethical requirement when you find a ring?

Way to turn this thread into your own chatty cathy thread with stuff that has nothing to do with returning items, etc and posting pics that have nothing to do with it. I remember when my posts would get deleted because they had nothing to do with the thread and got told to take it to the Family Friendly section :no:

Way to turn this thread into your own chatty cathy thread with stuff that has nothing to do with returning items, etc and posting pics that have nothing to do with it. I remember when my posts would get deleted because they had nothing to do with the thread and got told to take it to the Family Friendly section :no:

You must have tried commenting in the beach hunters section.:lol:

I have had the pleasure of giving back stuff I found and yes on a couple occasion have been made to feel like I did something wrong , I think it was because that person had already collected insurance on it. I have found billfolds and clutch bags with money in them a couple with a nice some and got them back to the owners, I did find one that I turned in and the guy accused me of stilling 600 dollars . But that got knocked in the head real fast you just have to make up your own mind how you feel about it;)

I have had the pleasure of giving back stuff I found and yes on a couple occasion have been made to feel like I did something wrong , I think it was because that person had already collected insurance on it. I have found billfolds and clutch bags with money in them a couple with a nice some and got them back to the owners, I did find one that I turned in and the guy accused me of stilling 600 dollars . But that got knocked in the head real fast you just have to make up your own mind how you feel about it;)

Never been accused of stealing money out of a wallet I've returned, but don't think I'd let it bother me, or prevent returning any future finds. Would expect a person who stole from a wallet, to return it, unless they figured on collecting a reward as well. I don't expect anything, just know I'd hope someone would return mine, if it were lost. There are phone numbers, business cards, addresses in there, that seldom get transferred to a safer place, but are still useful. All kinds of people out there, just really never know what to expect.

Guess what... if this thread had turned sour like your threads then it would have gone where yours did as well... a little humor never hurt anyone.

Just about everyone who wanted to have their opinion heard has been heard.

Lets see you start a thread about detecting cemetery's which went down the toilet (bad topic) you should have used the search feature.

Then you start a post about members being unfriendly and not responding in a timely fashion to your threads... those are your two threads you speak about here.

Last edited:
Never been accused of stealing money out of a wallet I've returned, but don't think I'd let it bother me, or prevent returning any future finds. Would expect a person who stole from a wallet, to return it, unless they figured on collecting a reward as well. I don't expect anything, just know I'd hope someone would return mine, if it were lost. There are phone numbers, business cards, addresses in there, that seldom get transferred to a safer place, but are still useful. All kinds of people out there, just really never know what to expect.

I have no issues with anyone returning anything... I just choose not to.... I will and have searched for peoples missing items... I don't feel any sense of guilt that someone else once owned the item found... most of the stuff I find is older and whose owners are probably 6 feet under or are back to eating baby food again :yes:

Guess what... if this thread had turned sour like your threads then it would have gone where yours did as well... a little humor never hurt anyone.

Just about everyone who wanted to have their opinion heard has been heard.

Lets see you start a thread about detecting cemetery's which went down the toilet (bad topic) you should have used the search feature.

Then you start a post about members being unfriendly and not responding in a timely fashion to your threads... those are your two threads you speak about here.

Ha... Yeah. That was a great week. :lol:

How about a new spin on this debate? A lot of people speak about Karma but if Karma is true maybe they lost the ring for a reason? What about fate? Maybe they lost it for a reason? Maybe you found it for a reason? Why mess with fate? Do what you think is right! If we all thought the same way this world would be pretty boring.

How about a new spin on this debate? A lot of people speak about Karma but if Karma is true maybe they lost the ring for a reason? What about fate? Maybe they lost it for a reason? Maybe you found it for a reason? Why mess with fate? Do what you think is right! If we all thought the same way this world would be pretty boring.

People get confused into thinking any ring with writing in it, someone will want it back. I had a lady tell me where to find her ring,and how much they paid for it. So i could find it and keep it. Her and her then husband got in an argument and she threw it. Then they got divorced. And i might add she was a biker chick. You go knocking on her door with her new boyfriend home and you might regret trying to return that one. Not all lost rings have happy memories.

Funny how when you mention MORALITY, people get all bent out of shape, hahaha!! This thread has taught me a lot about detectorist's attitudes at this site.

Of course if you find something in the ground 99% of the time there is NO reason to return it. If your in a public spot and find a ring with no way to be able to identify it's owner, keep that sucker. If you have a POSSIBLE chance to return it, that's your call. If your hunting a private property and find something worth $$$, it's most likely a good idea to show it to the home owner. It's a greedy world to begin with, no need to add to the greedy masses....I know it sucks when you do a good deed and the recipient isn't thankful. Screw them, you did what was right...

Some people are in this hobby for fun, others to make some $$$$. I'm in it for fun and find stuff worth $$$$ all the time. Guess that's why I love this hobby so much.

I think it's pretty simple. Bad/greedy detectorists have made this hobby a little tough on all of us because their selfish attitudes lead to stereotypes. I don't want to add to the stereotype and try to detect in a respectful manner.

I am with Craig on this topic. If you want to return it , return it just don't cry that people did not say thank you , if you expect gratitude that actually brings bad Karma believe it or not . If you do not want to return it (like me ) just keep it ;) by the way I do not find anything anyway LOL......................just clad and junk:D:p:pHH

so if you guys find a class ring with a name engraved inside, as well as a high school (or college) and the year, that you are going to make NO attempt to return property that is clearly not yours?

I think that says a lot about a person

Come on get off your high horse buddy.I think most of us would return it and are interested in the search for the owner.But after some experiences here where people don't even say thank you when you take the time and expense to return it doesn't make you a bad person because you decide finders keepers.

Funny how when you mention MORALITY, people get all bent out of shape, hahaha!! This thread has taught me a lot about detectorist's attitudes at this site.

Of course if you find something in the ground 99% of the time there is NO reason to return it. If your in a public spot and find a ring with no way to be able to identify it's owner, keep that sucker. If you have a POSSIBLE chance to return it, that's your call. If your hunting a private property and find something worth $$$, it's most likely a good idea to show it to the home owner. It's a greedy world to begin with, no need to add to the greedy masses....I know it sucks when you do a good deed and the recipient isn't thankful. Screw them, you did what was right...

Some people are in this hobby for fun, others to make some $$$$. I'm in it for fun and find stuff worth $$$$ all the time. Guess that's why I love this hobby so much.

I think it's pretty simple. Bad/greedy detectorists have made this hobby a little tough on all of us because their selfish attitudes lead to stereotypes. I don't want to add to the stereotype and try to detect in a respectful manner.

You have the right idea.

I am with Craig on this topic. If you want to return it , return it just don't cry that people did not say thank you , if you expect gratitude that actually brings bad Karma believe it or not . If you do not want to return it (like me ) just keep it ;) by the way I do not find anything anyway LOL......................just clad and junk:D:p:pHH

Ive had some awkward returns. I think sometimes people act like they do is because of the memories. The shock of seeing their item again. Ive had people do nice things for me and hours later I would think "did I thank them?"

Karma is imaginary just like the tooth fairy is... I believe in neither :D

The only people ruining our hobby is the stupid waste of time TV shows and those who nighthawk historic sites or hunt without permission.

I happen to find a lot of gold.. but I am just as happy finding old brass or copper items... its the thrill of the discovery... the only difference is when and if I decide to sell something I get a lot more money for my gold items than the brass or copper stuff :lol:

One more thing. A found ring could have been lost decades ago, and a lot of rings have no way of showing their age. So you would have to check decades of lost ring ads.

If you find a way to search for decades of lost ring ADS---PLEASE SHARE IT WITH ME--PLEASE!!!

Let's stop at the gas station for coffee otw to go metal detecting, forget batteries from home and at gas station, then stop at Walmart and never make it to the detecting part.

Back
Top Bottom