• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What Was Your Grossest Find?

There was a park scrape renovation going on, in a certain big city in CA years ago. The location of this park had previously been a cemetery. But by the turn-of-century-ish, the city moved all the graves out of the city, and turned the land into a park.

Apparently they didn't do an extensive job of removing all the graves, because we found ample copper hinges and clasps and such, for the coffins. And we saw various bones. As if that wasn't enough, I got a ring with some sort of curious stubble stick sticking trough it. Turns out it was a human finger bone ! The ring was some sort of un-precious metal (not gold or silver), so I just pitched it. :shock:

That's crazy!

There was a park scrape renovation going on, in a certain big city in CA years ago. The location of this park had previously been a cemetery. But by the turn-of-century-ish, the city moved all the graves out of the city, and turned the land into a park.

Apparently they didn't do an extensive job of removing all the graves, because we found ample copper hinges and clasps and such, for the coffins. And we saw various bones. As if that wasn't enough, I got a ring with some sort of curious stubble stick sticking trough it. Turns out it was a human finger bone ! The ring was some sort of un-precious metal (not gold or silver), so I just pitched it. :shock:

It is not unknown that corrupt companies contracted to do this work will move the gravestones/markers, but not anything else. It's easier to get away with this with older cemeteries that don't have a lot of upkeep or visiting relatives.

-- Different Tom

Well, I’ve never found anything too gross, what about you guys?

:worms:

Well, I did find a piece of gum in one a

Technically not found with detector

I was told about an old foundation that was between an old farm and the main highway , i didnt have permission to park at the property that was closest to where it was described by a family member , and by over head sat. Pics it wasnt more than a 15 min walk from the highway gas/rest area ...so i drove on the highway parked at the Gas station ...grabbed the at pro , samson etc and walked towards the woods and as i walked away from my car i noticed a man sitting near his vehicle , and as i glanced over to him he nodded at me....i smiled nodded back and entered the woods ..normal right?...in the woods i noticed trails everywhere and thought "dang it, i bet these trails lead to the foundation and there will be holes all over the place" ...
About 5 mins into the search/walk to this cellar ..i came across ..
2 guys nutts to butts .. 😨. And didnt miss a beat when they saw me .... I will never unsee that snapshot
It shook me so much i left and didnt even dig that day

I found a cocaine spoon, you know those pendants upscale users used to wear around their neck? The pendant was filled with cocaine and the insert was a small spoon to snort off of.

I still have it somewhere, haven’t used it yet though.

Like this? I haven’t used it yet either lol
FFAA4963-38F1-4465-952C-000A1ADBBF7C.jpeg

Came across a dead dog once but this was more icky to me.
I dug my only complete 3 Merry Widows condom tin and then I popped it open.
Inside was the remains of one old condom.
I assume it was not a used one but who the heck really knows about that stuff.
At the time I just thought, yuck!

Attachments

• photostudio_1607804788315.jpg
    photostudio_1607804788315.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,672
  • photostudio_1607804827448.jpg
    photostudio_1607804827448.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,033
Condom tin that was full, and the detecting gods couldn’t even give me an old one! :laughing:

I was out hunting a park that has some homes near the way back end. About two miles into the woods. Came across an open spot that had a couple of old burn barrels. Around these barrels lay all sorts of bones. After a bit of looking around, I found several wild boar skulls mixed in with the lot. I figure some hunters took what they wanted and left the rest to rot. I was glad to come across the skulls of the boar. Eased my mind a bit after seeing all those bones.

It is not unknown that corrupt companies contracted to do this work will move the gravestones/markers, but not anything else. It's easier to get away with this with older cemeteries that don't have a lot of upkeep or visiting relatives.

-- Different Tom

Haven't these people seen Poltergeist?

I know the locations of at least two cemeteries that were in the way of the interstate construction half a century ago. I'll take their word for it that more than just the headstones were moved.

A few of my early 1800's relatives are buried basically in the front yard of an old farmhouse. The property hasn't been in our family's hands for several generations. A few years ago the current owners got tired of looking at the old headstones and removed them. I have no idea how shallow or deep the bodies were buried, but some unsuspecting person might find out some day.

It's pretty safe to say that most people who have been detecting dirt long enough have detected somewhere with unmarked graves. For the most part they're not going to be shallow enough to ever uncover, but not always. I was going to detect this vacant lot in an old neighborhood that privately owned but is maintained by the owner as a community space or park. There is no signage or anything. Just a few mulched flower beds and benches for people to sit on. I did some research on the property and it was the site of one of the oldest houses in the area and has at least 5 very shallow unmarked graves verified by ground penetrating radar. I decided not to detect it!

[QUOTE=ToySoldier;3284093]Haven't these people seen Poltergeist?

I know the locations of at least two cemeteries that were in the way of the interstate construction half a century ago. I'll take their word for it that more than just the headstones were moved.

A few of my early 1800's relatives are buried basically in the front yard of an old farmhouse. The property hasn't been in our family's hands for several generations. A few years ago the current owners got tired of looking at the old headstones and removed them. I have no idea how shallow or deep the bodies were buried, but some unsuspecting person might find out some day.

It's pretty safe to say that most people who have been detecting dirt long enough have detected somewhere with unmarked graves. For the most part they're not going to be shallow enough to ever uncover, but not always. I was going to detect this vacant lot in an old neighborhood that privately owned but is maintained by the owner as a community space or park. There is no signage or anything. Just a few mulched flower beds and benches for people to sit on. I did some research on the property and it was the site of one of the oldest houses in the area and has at least 5 very shallow unmarked graves verified by ground penetrating radar. I decided not to detect it![/QUOTE]

Generally government moves everything, sometimes digging up the general area just in case there is no headstone. I know of at least one interstate (garden state parkway) that bisected at least one interstate, and 2 reservoirs, probably more, where they removed everything they could find.

Once while hunting in a wooded area of a city park I found what I thought was a cigar case till I noticed the rotary speed dial on the bottom.? Dropped it immediately...Ha!

Back
Top Bottom