Garrett 300i - "detects" continuously or not all - Looking for assistance

tirediron

Garrett Ace 300i; bought new in September, approximately 10-12 hours of use. Took it out today, and as soon as I turned it on, it was pinging non-stop, all over the scale, and didn't matter what I did; even up in the air away from anything that could trigger it.

Changed batteries, and when I turned it back on, for a minute or so, it wouldn't detect anything, even resting on my shovel. Then, it went crazy again...

Took it home, opened up the head unit, totally dry and no sign of water ingress and no sign of any damage to any component on the board. The only other sign is that the LCD indicators (all of them) look just slightly less "black" than normal, even with fresh batteries.

Does anyone have any insight? Coil or head unit? I'd like to get my hands on a schematic and a pin-out for the coil.

Thanks!

Edit: Turns out it was moisture after all; the "slightly less black" appearance of the display was due to a super-find layer of moisture, which I couldn't see until I actually started looking at it with a loupe. It looks like a very small amount of water (literally a couple of drops) entered via the speaker grill (Possibly from putting it down in wet grass or something). A couple of hours over the furnace vent and all seems good again. As a low-level protective measure, I've put some clear packing tape over the grill openings.

Garrett.JPG

Last edited:
Good job troubleshooting, glad it did not need to be sent in. Does it come with some kind of velcro cover?

It does come with a nice little 'rain jacket' that completely covers the top/front and display. Unfortunately it does nothing for the bottom which is completely exposed save the strap that goes around it.

I have this same problem with my Ace 250 as you described, but mine only has this problem after sitting a few years and I'm not sure if it's corrosion or moisture residue that's causing it.

I bought a used ACE 200i and had similar
problems .It turned out to be a welding
cut in one of the coil wires.I welded it again
and everything ok since then 👍😁

Attachments

• 20220619_123922.jpg
    20220619_123922.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20231204-113930.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204-113930.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16
Back