Paying For Permission

Old Prospector

Hey all-

Curious if the idea of paying for permission to metal detect a private property has been discussed on the forum before, and what the consensus was?

One of the biggest concerns that comes up on here is "what's in it for the landowner" when we knock on the door or send a letter. I wonder if offering someone $20 to detect their property, after the initial denial, would help the success rate?

At the end of the day, metal detecting is a hobby, same as golfing, going to the movies (pre-Covid), shooting at the range, etc, and people pay for those. And last time I checked, I'm not in this to get rich - I just like the thrill of the hunt and rescuing items that have been long forgotten. Desirable items at hard-hit public parks are a finite, non-renewable resource - paying for access to a potentially "virgin" spot could be worth every penny.

Anyways, curious if anyone has experimented with this. Obviously if someone just doesn't want you around, citing liability or whichever the case may be, a $20 bill won't change their mind.

I have thought about it but never offered. In my experience, most people are curious about what lay under their property but don’t actually want it. I’ve had many many people respond to my offer of the finds with, “ I’ve got enough !!!! in my house already!”

I look at the scenario of paying for permission to detect like paying for permission to fish a private pond or a lake that never gets restocked. Maybe a good deal if you are the first fisherman, maybe a good deal of you are the only fisherman. But if you can't be 100% sure of one or both of those things, how do you put any value on it?

I look at the scenario of paying for permission to detect like paying for permission to fish a private pond or a lake that never gets restocked. Maybe a good deal if you are the first fisherman, maybe a good deal of you are the only fisherman. But if you can't be 100% sure of one or both of those things, how do you put any value on it?

No doubt - that's certainly a risk. At least there'd be the initial excitement of getting access to a site you've researched. You don't have to look too hard on the forum to find disappointment of an exciting site just not panning out. But at least they're free disappointments I guess! :laughing:

I actually tried a version of this recently and struck out. There is an “old” church site (pre-1960’s anyways) near my house – it was torn down a decade ago and is currently just a grassy field. Just perfect for dirt fishing – out of the way and unused.

I found that another religious group had purchased the property recently and has plans to build on it. Unfortunately, the only way to contact them was email, which makes things way too formal sounding, although I kept it light and conveyed my excitement for the hobby. “Leave it as good or better than I found it, rescue some items before it’s lost to construction, live just down the road…” – all the usual stuff. And for good measure, I offered to donate to the construction cause on their website thru PayPal. Was hoping for the quick “Go for it, thanks for asking first” reply.

No reply after two days so I sent a follow-up request. Two days after that, I was happy to at least receive a response – a very brief, legal sounding no. “We are NOT entertaining any 3rd parties entering our property”. Capitalization of “not” pretty well shuts this one down. Big bummer, but life goes on. :tissue:

Once the other party gets the thought of “what if they break their ankle on our property” in their heads, as I suspect happened here, you’re toast. Face to face would’ve been better but these are different times. It was my best effort but wasn’t good enough this time. Better than trespassing though – for as much as I love metal detecting, I would receive no joy when doing it with my head on a swivel. :surrender:

I offered it a couple times to friends of friends who had what looked like good property to search. Usually like a "hey man I'd pay you to let me come there for a day". I never offered it to a real stranger, but hey if I could see a real potential in say a big old colonial property I'd pay up. Most of the offers I have made usually ended with buying them beer or lunch after they refuse the money.

For the majority of the permissions, offering money I don't think is going to make a no a yes. Just my opinion though.

Please don't start a trend.
Go to a property and the owner says this guy offered $20 then the next guy offered $50! What's your bid buddy.
I see it happening.
A no is a no move on.

I once stopped at a country garage sale and offered the lady of the house $5.
She said yes but I never followed up.

I realize you are just asking ; but since you DID ask ; I’d just as soon have my fingernails pulled out then pay one penny to hunt ..... since you asked.

It could work, but gifts can be bought for less than $20. Old houses are often occupied by people of limited resources who would welcome a little something. I have left the homeowner a case of soda on a couple of occasions just as a thank you.

There is one civil war spot that I know had some civil war activity. I have stopped twice and no one will come to the door. I would offer them 100 because according to research there is a lot of civil war stuff on this farm. I never offer anyone else money but I do get the people that let me civil war hunt on them Christmas presents every year. It’s my way of showing appreciation and it puts me on there good side. And let’s them know I really care. I cherish every permission I get. Some people take permission lightly. But I look at it like this. Would I want some weird looking guy or woman with a detector and bag around his waist walking all over my property that I don’t even know lol. Most let me so with that I thank them and I cherish it.

Just thought of something (OP) or anyone who cares to comment:

What if you ask for permission to hunt their property (no money offered), and they say yes, but they want to see what you find, and tell you what you can keep?

Would you do it?

What if you ask for permission to hunt their property (no money offered), and they say yes, but they want to see what you find, and tell you what you can keep?

Would you do it?

I wouldn’t ever do that . I’ve relayed in past posts why , in my opinion, it’s an awful idea. If someone tells me that I say thanks and leave.

Would you do it?

There are times that I would do that, yes. Having access to a site and rescuing items is my real passion. If I just wanted silver coins, I’d hop on eBay and spend $10, saving wear and tear on my body and hours of digging.

For me it’s the thrill of the hunt. Having a unique place to dig is huge, especially if you live in a younger area or competitive area. I’d take some photos and enjoy seeing what bites that day.

I would suggest keeping money out of any equation. Maybe if you’re hunting in England somewhere....but not here.

Back
Top Bottom