Deep ring pulls = excessively deep silver?

midotron

I am about to give up hunting the park where I pulled my first silver coin (quarter at 6 inches). Yesterday in about 3.5 hrs all I found was 98 cents in clad. One was a 1964 nickel, and two quarters were 70's (3-4 inches).

I am thinking either the park has been pounded and there is too much ground to cover to make it worth while or that since I dig 6 inch ring pulls dirt was added and all the remaining silver must be really deep. I mean how does a ring pull get that deep?

I am about to give up hunting the park where I pulled my first silver coin (quarter at 6 inches). Yesterday in about 3.5 hrs all I found was 98 cents in clad. One was a 1964 nickel, and two quarters were 70's (3-4 inches).

I am thinking either the park has been pounded and there is too much ground to cover to make it worth while or that since I dig 6 inch ring pulls dirt was added and all the remaining silver must be really deep. I mean how does a ring pull get that deep?

Lots of variables in the equation of how deep things settle. I don't think there is a park in Indy that hasn't been pounded hard over the years. Unless you just can't find other spots, parks up there are going to be a LOT of time for little return, if you're looking for return, anyway... The trash is overwhelming. I did have some keepers out of Leonard park in Speedway when I was living up there. It was pretty clean compared to most, but I was there nearly every day for a couple years, so I'm SURE it's cleaned out now! :laughing: ;)

Best to move on to some private dirt if you're wanting to see more results for your time.
Best of luck and HH!

Lots of variables in the equation of how deep things settle. I don't think there is a park in Indy that hasn't been pounded hard over the years. Unless you just can't find other spots, parks up there are going to be a LOT of time for little return, if you're looking for return, anyway... The trash is overwhelming. I did have some keepers out of Leonard park in Speedway when I was living up there. It was pretty clean compared to most, but I was there nearly every day for a couple years, so I'm SURE it's cleaned out now! :laughing: ;)

Best to move on to some private dirt if you're wanting to see more results for your time.
Best of luck and HH!

Yeah, I figured most parks have been hit hard in Indy and Bluff park wouldn't be an exception, but that quarter gave me hope. I also found a costume ring there.

Maybe if I grid the whole thing or put on a big coil I could eke out a few more silvers, but there is so much trash that I will look for greener pastures. If you have any suggestions let me know. I am in South Indy which is a lot of subdivisions that don't have sidewalks, so I would have go to another part of town to even curb strip.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, this flu madness has made door knocking a bad idea... I had good luck knocking in basically all the smaller towns around the perimeter of the city. Speedway is good for 30s to 50s yards and the older population is normally glad to just have someone stop by to talk to. Lots of old houses in Fountain Square, but it does tend to be a little more rough area. Old Avon is a good town to hit as well.

Hopefully we'll get back to some sense of "normal" before long so a guy can knock some doors without worrying about looking down a barrel at a mask with a cigarette hanging out of it!! :laughing:

I'm working on a property owner in Martinsville with 12 old rentals that may be enough to keep me busy for a couple seasons. We oughta get together at some point and hit a few spots. Supposed to paint a few rooms for him next week and hope to seal the deal.

HH!

Unfortunately, this flu madness has made door knocking a bad idea... I had good luck knocking in basically all the smaller towns around the perimeter of the city. Speedway is good for 30s to 50s yards and the older population is normally glad to just have someone stop by to talk to. Lots of old houses in Fountain Square, but it does tend to be a little more rough area. Old Avon is a good town to hit as well.

Hopefully we'll get back to some sense of "normal" before long so a guy can knock some doors without worrying about looking down a barrel at a mask with a cigarette hanging out of it!! :laughing:

I'm working on a property owner in Martinsville with 12 old rentals that may be enough to keep me busy for a couple seasons. We oughta get together at some point and hit a few spots. Supposed to paint a few rooms for him next week and hope to seal the deal.

HH!

Sounds good Oldsjunkie,

I would love to hunt with you sometime.

I am only 30 minutes or so from Martinsville. I also wondered if you ever thought of detecting some of the extinct towns in the area like Elkinsville or Anita. A bit of a drive, but could be interesting. Not sure who owns the land though.

One thing I have learned in this hobby is, anything can be anywhere. I've found silver coins just below the soils surface and down to 11". I've also learned to dig just about everything, once I'm in an area that is spitting out oldies. There's ALOT of multiple coin spills that were skipped over because they didn't sound "pure" and not to mention target masking due to heavy trash. Sounds to me like your soil was turned at one point, or soil was added. The one silver coin you found was either brought in with the fill, or you were able to get below the fill line and still find the quarter. I'm going with the latter.

If you are finding that much clad, the park’s not pounded. We’ve a 500-acre park here used since the early 1900’s. Here you can hunt all day and be lucky to find a modern coin or not.

If you are finding that much clad, the park’s not pounded. We’ve a 500-acre park here used since the early 1900’s. Here you can hunt all day and be lucky to find a modern coin or not.

How refreshing to have someone use the conjunction for “we have” correctly! It’s not common but still nice to see people can still use the English language! AMC gets todays gold star.:yes:
All of what Chris and Jeff said earlier applies...fill dirt, plowed dirt, etc.....anything CAN be anywhere. When “weird old sh*t” starts showing up...dig all decently repeating non-ferrous.

Back
Top Bottom