Please offer suggestions...

Bert H

First off, I'm new to the forum, have read lots of good stuff so far. I'm not really new to detecting, as back in the early 80's I had a White's Coinmaster which I enjoyed considerably. My best finds, which I still have, were a 2 cent piece and a commemorative Stone Mountain half dollar. As they say, life got in the way, and I haven't used one since.

Fast forward to now, with a little more time in my hands, and retirement approaching within a couple of years, I've been thinking of slowly getting back into the hobby. I am thoroughly confused with all the different ones out there, and sometimes I wonder if they're not all more or less the same instruments with just different cosmetics.

I am currently considering the Fisher F4 or the F5, but would look at any brand model within that price range. Interest would be in coin hunting. I live in Florida, so some near water or possibly, very shallow (couple of inches of water) would also be targets.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and comments.

Welcome to the forum!

Most definitely contact one of our sponsors here. They are all friendly and knowledgeable and can steer you to the right choice.

The Fisher F series is an excellent line of machines. I don't know how they would do in wet ocean sand but I think as long as they have an adjustable ground balance, you will be ok.

Good luck!

I live in Sarasota, I know for a fact the White's M6 can go to the water's edge, I've done it at Siesta Key. If the M6 costs too much, the White's Prizm 6T also has a Beach mode where it compensates for salt beach. The Garrett GTP 1350 also compensates for salt water with a Beach mode, all of the GTP have Beach mode, but the 1350 is closest to your price range. The Fisher F5 also supposed to be able to deal with salt beaches, but I don't know if it will or not.

First off, I'm new to the forum, have read lots of good stuff so far. I'm not really new to detecting, as back in the early 80's I had a White's Coinmaster which I enjoyed considerably. My best finds, which I still have, were a 2 cent piece and a commemorative Stone Mountain half dollar. As they say, life got in the way, and I haven't used one since.

Fast forward to now, with a little more time in my hands, and retirement approaching within a couple of years, I've been thinking of slowly getting back into the hobby. I am thoroughly confused with all the different ones out there, and sometimes I wonder if they're not all more or less the same instruments with just different cosmetics.

I am currently considering the Fisher F4 or the F5, but would look at any brand model within that price range. Interest would be in coin hunting. I live in Florida, so some near water or possibly, very shallow (couple of inches of water) would also be targets.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and comments.

The fisher F4 is a great detector. Holler if i can help or answer any questions.
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/shop/fisher-f4-metal-detector/

OK, it's official. I've ordered the F5 from Bart's! Looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom