Question for school yard hunters

Newblue

Is it worth it to detect an elementary/grammar school? I’m thinking it will be lots and lots of clad but what else? Kids don’t wear nice jewelry. The school I’m thinking about was only built in 1968.

..... The school I’m thinking about was only built in 1968.

Then the *best* hopes you would have, is for jewelry. Not old coins (obviously). And you're right: Not the place to "be a hero and angle for jewelry". If jewelry is your objective then go to more-likely-places. Namely: Swim beaches. Not school yards or junky parks.

It is well worth it to hunt these sites, not only do you have history in the ground from before it was a school plus all that any kids dropped and all that the teachers and adults that hung out there abd dropped might still be their too...like jewelry, and what's wrong with hunting for jewelry?
I have hundreds of hours hunting sites exactly like this and I enjoyed myself every minute whether I was digging junk or treasure.
I love sites exactly like these, I honed my skill set and got good at hunting in trash and have found a lot of treasure at schools including elementary schools...this 18 gram gold monster is one standout.
I returned this one, it was lost 1/2 mile down the road when it fell off the owner and bounced down an embankment into some water under a bridge, how the heck it got to the front lawn of an old elementary school I have no idea but there it was.

Be a "hero" if you want to or don't but don't ever let anyone tell you how to enjoy this hobby...figure it out for yourself.

Attachments

• 2019-07-09 07.16.50.jpg
    2019-07-09 07.16.50.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 695
You will never know what may be hidden in a school yard until such time as you swing a coil over it. The odds are not high that you will find a gold or silver ring but there is still there is still the possibility. I did find a teachers sterling ring at a local school. But the most of what you find will be clad but clad can be used to buy gold and silver.

I was only questioning what the chances are of finding anything other than clad, which is still good in my opinion. Digger27 is right. I didn’t think about all the adults that hang out there and also about the land before it was a school. I think it was a farm but not sure. I guess you can find good stuff just about anywhere. You never know.

....but don't ever let anyone tell you how to enjoy this hobby....

Ha, It's all-good digger-27. It's just back-n-forth Q&A on an md'ing forum. No one's "telling anyone how to enjoy..." anything. It's just people answering other people's questions about "odds of chances" blah blah

....and what's wrong with hunting for jewelry?....

Nothing at all. But the bigger question is: Where does a hunter's best odds lay ? At schools that are scarcely 20 yrs. old ? At schools that are 40 yrs. old ? At schools vs swim beaches ? etc...

....history in the ground from before it was a school...

This is slightly more-true on the east coast, versus the west coast. D/t there's more history-of-European influence (metal-carrying-folk) than on the west coast. HOWEVER : The USA is still too young to simply go out swinging in "any field", with odds-of "random coins". Versus places in Europe, perhaps, where ... yes.... they can go into any cultivated field and randomly chance on to old coins.

In the USA (yes, even on the east coast) we still do our research to plant ourselves on to old cellar hole sites, prior stage stops or camp sites, etc.... If utterly nothing except random field or forest, were going on at that school site prior to 1968, then it's going to be "needles in hay-stacks" to find coins older than that. Not that it's impossible, but ... just sayin' ... if old coins are someone's objective, then : Modern USA school sites are not the best odds.

I've hunted lots of elementary schools. Others are right, not the best place for high value finds but you never know. Lots of clad and junk rings but I did luck into a 22.8 gram 14K gold bracelet once. There is also a few that host scout meetings. I guess the little guys can't resist running and playing in the grass. I've pulled lots of scout stuff from the front of these schools.

I say hit it hard, the very least that happens is you get good practice, and who knows what will turn up!

I've pulled a few silvers from school yards, junk jewelry, a nice silver necklace, plenty of clad and enough canslaw to fill a dumpster. Have one a few blocks from my house if I just need to get out and dig for a little bit but am limited on time. I just keep my expectations low so I'm seldom disappointed.

Thanks for the opinions and advice everybody. I went this weekend but there was a softball game going on. I’ll have to try again soon.

I found my first platinum and a 14k gold amethyst at an elementary school. Also found a pocket knife and a war nickle at a 2nd elementary.

school yards

One thing to consider is kids still put things in their pockets to show their friends ,including things they shouldn't have got a hold of . These things can easily get lost on a play ground. I can say I have never found much except modern clad but don't spend much time checking them out. Now that school is out I may have to do some school yard hunting.

One thing to consider is kids still put things in their pockets to show their friends ,including things they shouldn't have got a hold of . These things can easily get lost on a play ground. I can say I have never found much except modern clad but don't spend much time checking them out. Now that school is out I may have to do some school yard hunting.

How true this post is.
I've found a few bizarre foreign coins at the elementary school by my house that were probably "show and tell" items.

And I must relate a story. When my daughter was in 2nd grade she came home with a big honking gold class ring. She said her friend had several rings that she was handing out to kids! I spoke to her mom and she was happy I did!! I gave her the class ring back, I always wonder if they got the rest of the rings back.

Moral of the story: hit it hard, you never know!

kids and play grounds

How true this post is.
I've found a few bizarre foreign coins at the elementary school by my house that were probably "show and tell" items.

And I must relate a story. When my daughter was in 2nd grade she came home with a big honking gold class ring. She said her friend had several rings that she was handing out to kids! I spoke to her mom and she was happy I did!! I gave her the class ring back, I always wonder if they got the rest of the rings back.

Moral of the story: hit it hard, you never know!

If a young kid sees something they think is neat their first thought is to show it to their friends , they have no concept of value . Then go hang upside down on play ground equipment or drop something in pea gravel where it disappears .

I’ve hunted grade schools for a decade. Not a single gold. Kids didn’t wear gold, not that an adult didn’t drop a ring. I have found silver coins, and oldies dating over 100 years. Why, how? Simple.

Fill dirt.

Just give it a shot and see. I've found quite a few silver rings at elementary schools and just this last weekend found a 14k gold ring at one.

Attachments

• Scan1120, September 08, 2018.jpg
    Scan1120, September 08, 2018.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Scan1121, September 08, 2018.jpg
    Scan1121, September 08, 2018.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 507
Large cents and other old coins are not necessarily from a "show and tell". Many schools were built over what was once farm land. Though the site may give the appearance of being new the dirt is "as old as the hills". This 1808 Large Cent was dug in a school yard in which the school was built in 1991 but years ago was a farm field.

Attachments

• IMGP0059 (2).jpg
    IMGP0059 (2).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 483
  • IMGP0058 (1).jpg
    IMGP0058 (1).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 507
Large cents and other old coins are not necessarily from a "show and tell". Many schools were built over what was once farm land. Though the site may give the appearance of being new the dirt is "as old as the hills". This 1808 Large Cent was dug in a school yard in which the school was built in 1991 but years ago was a farm field.

But you've forgotten one important detail : You're in Connecticut. So you can throw a rock in any direction, and hit an LC. :sissyfight: And ... sure , even in modern school yards.

Back
Top Bottom