I love Love LOVE this Site!!!!

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
OK, just when i think i can't be more lucky, this site once again proves to be a most amazing place. Went back tonight, keeping my hopes low as it is mostly covered with gravel. After finding my first barber dime here, i thought there was no way it could get better and would have been happy with another wheat penny, but thought that would be unlikely. Well, it got better. First the clad count....4 LMC's and a quarter.
But wait, there's more.
got a very choppy signal... pulled out a square nail..... checked the hole again.... and pulled out an 1844 half dime. I'm amazed!!!!!
Thank you Milco for cluing me in to this site. I owe you another beer when you come up.

Attachments

• 080611231145.jpg
    080611231145.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 466
  • 1844-obv.jpg
    1844-obv.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 464
  • 1844 rev.jpg
    1844 rev.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 463
That is sweet.....the half I get around here...is half the day digging tabs and clad....LOL......well its fun stuff...and some jewelry....:)

a little history?

Just checking out some history for perspective on how old this coin is.
When this coin was minted:
John Tyler was President (10th president of the US)
Thomas Jefferson had only died 18 years prior (1826)
Abraham Lincoln would not take office for another 17 years (1861)

I'm still smiling. Thanks for all the comments. Keep em coming.

totally awesome coin....can you just feel the history when at a site that gives up those kind of coins? thats what makes this such an awsome hobby..or is it additction? congrats!!!!!!!!

WOW, I mean WOW

Your profile reads Fond Du Lac..if that is where you found it? Damn, imagine some pilgrim who might have lost it? Was Wisc. even a state?

Your profile reads Fond Du Lac..if that is where you found it? Damn, imagine some pilgrim who might have lost it? Was Wisc. even a state?

Yes.. Found this in the city of Fond du Lac at a site that had a few houses on it in the 1860's. It is on a road that was traveled between the train depot and main street in Fond du Lac. A hotel used to be across the street. They are developing this site after it has sat vacant since i believe the 40's. Im very happy to have the chance to rescue these coins that have been there (some for well over 100 years)
Still shocked.. This will probably be my oldest coin for years to come. Wisconsin became a state in 1848, and i got one here that is older than the state itself. crazy!!!!!

That so cool, Congrats! My first half dime was a week ago, and I still can't believe it. The history plays a big part in why I even do this.

Back
Top Bottom