Military camp site

hoser

Forum Supporter
Decided to try a new area. Now let me say this area covers a VERY large area. :shock: The Michigan National guard has been using it since the early 1900's. Not knowing just where to start, I did one of those helter-skelter hunts to feel out the area. In total, I probably covered an acre and a half just wandering around. Not a bad day either. Found my first Sacajawea dollar, and a 1934 D Washington quarter. Two wheaties also, 48,& a 56. In total, I came out with 1 dollar, 7 quarters, five dimes, and 24 pennies. Keeping in mind this is military, I also found about a half dozen spent grenade igniter's. I won't even go into the amount of shell casings that I dug up. :wow: :shock: This whole area will take me a lifetime to do. The main drawback is the ferns and grass is getting quite high, and I may have to wait till fall, or early spring to do it right. This would be a great place for a large group hunt. :yes: Didn't take any pics of the finds, but maybe I'll post one later.

Bill, why did you wait so long to detect it for? sheesh lol... buy a mower and cut it ;)

simonthesearcher said:
Long grass is my problem right now too,like you said,will have to wait.

Weedwhacker in one hand, detector in the other I always say.
Seriously, I have cleared out some pretty large swaths with a weedwhacker, but not too practicle for a large area.

For anyone hunting in high brush. Be careful, it can hide more then coins. I had two brushes with black bear in my neck of the woods(one within thirty feet)Never saw her until it got up on it's hind legs.That kind of wrecks your concentration metal detecting. MM from N.J.

Not bad for the first time there Hoser. Silver quarter and some wheaties, I'd take it! Good luck getting the rest of it!

Back
Top Bottom