I am new and need help find a good metal detector

copperz

Hello everyone, I have been looking at some detectors for a while and still can't figure out which one is the best for me.

Here is what I will use it for:
1)Beach (dry) and wadding in water (Fresh and salt water)
2)Maybe very rarely park or forest.

I want it be sensitive to gold. And able to go deep.

Please help me out Make/Model and even maybe a price it would go for.

Well, even though you failed to introduce yourself I reckon I'ma help you anyhow. Welcome from New Jersey and give Bart a call about any MD purchase.

Bart Davis Friendly Metal Detecting forum sponsor
Bigboyshobbies.net 405-206-9010 [email protected]
Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Fisher Metal Detectors Teknetics Metal Detectors Garrett Metal Detectors
Call, Email or Text. Mention Friendly Forum when you call for best prices.

Hope this helps.

My name is Dmitriy from Chicago. I had cheap Radio Shack detector when I was a little kid and always wanted to get that can go in the water. I was recently on vocation and saw a guy on the beach with I think was Minelab Excalibur. Now I m back home in Chicago and want to hit up the beach to find some treasures.

Any recommendations on the make and model would be very helpful.

Hello and Welcome from PA. Give Bart a call. He can walk you through the units that would work best for your intended hunting sites. Maybe the Excal is perfect for you. If you can afford it, I understand it's an awesome machine. GL & HH

I don't have much experience w/ any detectors other than those I own, plus I'm a noob here.... BUT; I have to say that I am very happy w/ my Minelab Sovereign GT. I haven't had it long, but it has really impressed me on the beach. I do 100% of my detecting on the saltwater beach, so that is what I bought it for. I would love to be able to hit some parks and school yards, but anything in that category is a good drive for me. I can attest to the fact that it is very deep. I have dug targets at what seems like 12" (copper scrap), and given up on an iron target when the hole got to 12".

I don't have much experience w/ any detectors other than those I own, plus I'm a noob here.... BUT; I have to say that I am very happy w/ my Minelab Sovereign GT. I haven't had it long, but it has really impressed me on the beach. I do 100% of my detecting on the saltwater beach, so that is what I bought it for. I would love to be able to hit some parks and school yards, but anything in that category is a good drive for me. I can attest to the fact that it is very deep. I have dug targets at what seems like 12" (copper scrap), and given up on an iron target when the hole got to 12".

Is it waterproof?

Well you don't have to much saltwater in Chicago. But a At Pro would work great in your neck of the woods. It will work in salt also.

Well you don't have to much saltwater in Chicago. But a At Pro would work great in your neck of the woods. It will work in salt also.

I will go to salt water places. Maybe not as often as I like but I feel that it should be water proof, right?

I will go to salt water places. Maybe not as often as I like but I feel that it should be water proof, right?

The At Pro is water resistant to 10 feet. Some members use it very well in the salt. I love mine but want a total water machine next or the Garrett LS.

Hi Copperz, the Sov GT and the Excalibur are almost exactly the same electronics. The GT box is not waterproof but has a very strong following and some make simple waterproof boxes to hip or chest mount. You can also change coils or replace a damaged coil easy on the GT. The Excalibur is totally waterproof. Both can discriminate out iron junk like dirt machines since they are fancy VLF machines. My opinion is the Sov GT has better built controls. The Excal has had issues with knobs breaking, switches failing. In any case know Minelab who makes both machines is very slow to repair. They are both great machines and lead the way on wet sand machines that discriminate. If you want true water machine with deep reach then a PI machine is the best. No disc but deep and you dig it all. You really need two on the beach. The Sov GT and a PI like my Sand Shark or Dual Field is the ultimate in flexibility. If you want ONLY one machine that will do it all then Minelab. Good luck!

At pro in salt water

Hi there
I'm a newbie here and to MD'ing. I jumped in after doing some research and bought an AT Pro. After 3 weeks of using the machine in all sorts of beach conditions (I've hunted every day for 2-3 hours), I would say that if your focus is on salt water detecting, you should not buy the AT pro. I've had so many issues with falsing from the heavy salt water mineralization. On my last day of using it, I realized that the machine would beep any time it came across a patch of seaweed, any time the waves hit it, ...

I've since learned that for different types of hunting conditions, I will need different machines. Had i read this forum more in depth prior to my purchase, i would have known this. The AT Pro was great in dry sand, nit so great under water and even worse in wet sand. If money is no object, then the AT pro is a great jumping off point for being able to detect in different environments. It allows you the flexibility to hunt in dirt, sand, water, etc. Once you determine if you want to spend more time in salt water you are likely going to want a different machine. You may want different types of under water machines for different types of beaches.

I say all this because I wish I had talked to more people and posted more on these boards with my questions and where I wanted to hunt before I had made a purchase. I'm sure the members here would have steered me away from the machine I bought. Please don't get me wrong (and those of you who love AT Pro, don't be offended). The AT Pro is a great machine. If I were hunting strictly dry sand or dirt or maybe fresh water (not much opportunity for that here) I would have kept it, but since I'm focusing on underwater, this simply was not the detector for me.

I hope you find this helpful

Either the Sovereign GT or Excalibur. If you are just planning on getting your feet a bit wet (literally) and staying on the sand then I would say the GT. If you are going to do some serious water hunting (waist deep or more) I'd probably say the Excalibur. Both great machines.

So I'm debating between the AT Pro and Xterra 705.
I'm leaning toward the Xterra but I m scared that I can't get it wet. So that leaves me with the AT PRO. But then I hear the AT PRO is not good in wet sand or in the ocean. Can someone please let me know their experiences with the AT Pro in sea water?

The only machines that really do it all well and are (waterproof) to some degree, are the Minelab Excal (200ft), Whites beach hunter id 300(30ft?), and Fisher cz20/21(250ft). All dual/multi freq vlfs... some more waterproof than others...

There is also the Detectorpro Wader and AT Pro but both are single frequency, normally single frequency isn't the best on salty wet sand... but I hear the wader does alright.

I would recommend getting a waterproof machine, it's nice not having to worry about waves splashing water up onto the control box, and being able to hose the machine off after hunts.

Looking at the fisher cz21 it's looks like a nice machine. I think I am going to go with that one.

Back
Top Bottom