The big guy and his sense of humor

z118

Forum Supporter
First, let me say that I often get the sense that the universe, God, or whatever you want to call it sometimes tries to tell me things with the items I find.

I dragged myself out of bed at 5 am today to go detecting. I was very tired from too much sun and too much food and too many beers at the big family 4th of July celebration the day before. A very large part of me wanted to stay in bed. But I'm a hopeless detecting addict, so out hunting I went. On my way to the first spot I get pulled over by a police officer, and handed a speeding ticket. I have not gotten a ticket in a good ten years at least. Suffice it to say, my mood turned pretty sour. As I continued on to the first tot lot I was thinking to myself that I'd better find some nice ring or fat piece of gold to make this worth it. Not five minutes into the hunt I get a nice low tone, look down, and see the edge of a ring peeking out from under the wood chips! I quickly snatched it up, and felt its weight and thickness in my hand - it was not like the usual junk ring. I became even more excited! I had hoped for a gold ring, could it be? Could I be that lucky? I looked for a stamp... just a number 6. I looked at the stone. It was glued in place. :mad: It was junk, albeit an oddly nice junk ring.

IMG_3389.jpg

Now I'm really annoyed. I got a dang ticket, I wasn't finding any coins, and then this stupid nice looking junk ring gets me all worked up. It really felt like the detecting gods were jerking me around; having fun at my expense. Now my mood was REALLY sour. I hunted for another five minutes feeling really sorry for myself, lamenting the speeding ticket, wishing I had stayed in bed, feeling stupid for being so obsessed with detecting, feeling irritated with the junk ring... just feeling miserable and nasty. And then I get a small tone... kick some chips aside... and what do I find?

IMG_3388.jpg

I just stared at it. I'm not sure who's running the show up there, but yeah, I get your message. Sad violin music for my sad sob story. I took it to mean I should quit my crying. So I did! (The fact that the violing is stamped .925 didn't hurt.)

It is clear to me at least that the universe has a sense of humour...

I like your story, "not the ticket part of course" I find humor can always turn a sour day around.
HH
Jim

Thanks for the story and the reminder. Sometimes we all can get to feeling sorry for ourselves. You can feel sorry for the speeding ticket. Glad you were able to find some humor in the whole situation.
Better luck on your next hunt.

You made my day.

Sorry about the ticket...but your story lifted my spirits. I went out to the tot lot for an hour this morning for a FIRST with my new Ace 250. I couldn't find a coin to save my life. Pull tabs, bottle caps, foil and little pieces of wire! Where did all that junk come from? Finally found a clad penny and decided to come home...feeling really sorry for myself and mad at the detector. Your little fiddle did the trick. I feel better now. We could all use that little fiddle find to slap us in the face at times. Thanks for sharing your day.

I usually stay home when feeling negative - but sometimes do go anyway, like you. Still better than sitting home wishing there was something fun to do, steve in so az

That just reminds me of "its the worlds smallest violin playing just for you" That was classic!!! Sorry for your rough outing but thats just too funny!!

Thanks for the laugh,after a stressful day I needed that. you need to pin that vio on your hat and when you see it in the rear view mirror,it should remind you to ease up on the throttle! and look down at your speedometer.Better luck next time.

I hear you on that.

About 3 weeks a go I got laid off. When I came home there was a message from a lawyer representing my great aunt who had died a while back earlier in the year. He was verifying all of the family info so the payments could be sent to.

Also when I got home today I got a direct mail package with a set of Rosary Beads saying God Bless Me & looking for a donation!

Guess that's what happens when you leave home without your horseshoe. With all the luck you have had, I know one bad day won't get you down. And you are right about the big guy having a sense of humor. Just sometimes, we are not able to find the humor in the situation. Better luck next hunt and thanks for the enjoyable story.

Back
Top Bottom