20 minute hunt

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Detected in someone's (small) backyard, about 60 YO property I believe, for about 20 minutes and found 7 pennies and 1 pull tab. The "good news" is 2 of the pennies are wheat backs, one "worthless" 1955-D and a 1942-P. In a few weeks I'll probably have a chance to detect it for a few hours. Hopefully I'll end my silver drought.

Hunt that yard low and slow Oz. If theres 40s and 50s wheats there, there's bound to be a least a little silver. Low and slow! Good luck!

Oz - 20 minute hunt? Did you or the detector get to warm up properly? :lol:

FelixtheCat said:
Oz - 20 minute hunt? Did you or the detector get to warm up properly? :lol:
Definitely one of my shorter hunts but all I wanted was a quick "test" of the property. The deepest target was the pull tab at a whopping 2'' :P There is a huge tree in the backyard so hopefully the roots are keeping coins closer to the surface. We shall see as I should be able to hit the property again in a week or two.

Good luck on the silver, Oz !..you've got more self discipline than me; a couple of wheaties and I'd have been there 'til sundown.. HH Roadrunner_426

Tuesday I was working a field after I got off work, the thunderheads were rolling in but I was deep into a 7 inch hole by then. Never did get to the bottom of it and find what was setting off my detector but it has been calling me back ever since! Cannot hold a lighting rod (detector) when there is lighting around. Ernesto is going to dump on my 4 day weekend, but I will hit the ground in between showers! Have a great weekend everyone!

Make sure you get back to the property and try again. My last two outings have been to houses about the same age and I have found:

9 wheats
2 rosie
2 merc
1 wash Q
1 WLH

I am going to try and focus on this aged property for a bit.

Poppy said:
can you post a pic of the P mint mark .......I havent heard of that coin with that mintmark and my red book makes no mention of a penny minted in philly ........I am curious ..........
Sorry - I put the P just to make sure no-one wondered if I forgotten to mention the mint mark (D or S). BTW look at any 1982 dimes inwhich a very few dimes made it through withought the P mint mark. IIRC, some 1989 Q's have no P mint mark either due to dirt in the die.

Back to on topic - the property I detected has no chance of being detected by anyone else the next few weeks so I'm in no hurry. Wheat backs are pretty common in my area, silver on the other hand :(

WTG DB !...with that kind of finds, I'd concentrate on that type of site too.. Roadrunner_426

Back
Top Bottom