• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

nice old "stuff" and my own cookie coins!

Danimal

I was out hunting an area near my home that was an amusement area in the 1800's in a gorge/cliff area by the Cuyahoga River (Cuyahoga Falls Ohio). The area was quite popular with a roller coaster right down in the ravine, a dance hall, picnic area, and boardwalks and bridges everywhere. The area died in the early 1900's when the river was dammed to make power, and most of the area flooded, with many caves and stuff now underwater. There does remain however some trails and debris on the upper banks, but is VERY difficult to access and requires some climbing and such.
Working this area a few weeks ago I found half a 1850 Bank of Upper Canada Penny Toekn and a 1953 Franklin Half, as well as a few old bottles. The area is loaded with trash and iron scrap, so THing is dirty and time-consuming.
My finds for the last trip last weekend were the 3 ringer bullet, a REAL cool gold-plated mirror pendant/necklace with two small pearls and two totally encristed "cookie coins".
I have never dug coins encrusted like these, so encased in what APPEARED to be rusty, bumpy crud. Thinking they LOOKED coin sized, I stuck 'em in my pouch. Later, after electrolysis and some chipping/cleaning, I was able to measure their diameter and thickness, and was surprised to find a Braided Hair cent and a silver quarter. Since they were found within 1 foot of each other, I can only assume the quarter is of the same age, making it a seated, although neither coin has ANY legible markings. Cool anyways.
I'm headed back there for sure, and may take a larger shovel and remove quitea bit of soil in the area the coins were found to uncover some deeper stuff.

Attachments

• pendant.jpg
    pendant.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 252
  • pendantback.jpg
    pendantback.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 256
close up of the "cookie coins"

Attachments

• cookies.jpg
    cookies.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 252
Great finds Danimal! I have never seen coins in that condition before. I would hit that area hard in hopes of finding some coins in better condition. Sounds like a remote undetected area for sure.

Back
Top Bottom