Anyone else need background noise when they sleep?

Iron Patch

Elite Member
I've always had a fan on when I sleep and have been doing it for so long I can't remember not doing it. Just recently I became familiar with white noise machines and after a little looking around bought one last night. I always thought it a little crazy to need a fan to sleep, but my father is exactly the same way, and the seller who I bought the machine from has sold 366 of them.... so I guess there's others like me out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQNcG77Rt-A

my wife has ta have the fan on, i don't mind it in the summer but i could do without it during the winter months

If I had one I would sleep in a sound proof room, I don't like any noise at all when I am trying to sleep. I remember years ago I went on a satellite call out in the middle of nowhere, he wasn't at home when I got there but thought that he was because I could hear a radio going. He pulled in about 5 minutes after me and I said I thought that you were here I heard a radio or something, he said I lived in a big city for years and got used to the noise and now I don't like things too quiet.

Yep! My wife is that way, and we used a fan for years. We bought a noise machine a few years ago. Good purchase. Easy to take on trips and you don't have to worry about the wind in the winter! You'll like it.

I've had sleep trouble even back to childhood days. I had one of the noise machines once. It had various settings like train, forest, white noise, rain, etc. They were supposed to be random, but eventually it got so I could here were the "sample" repeated. The white noise didn't help me sleep. I know of MANY people who need a fan to sleep, so it's not unusual. Living in a tourist area, I've been asked more than once where someone on vacation can find a "noisy" fan to help them sleep. I use my television's sleep setting. My old tv let me turn off the monitor so only sound remained. It was a useful feature.

Yep, 22 years in a factory along with gunfire and rock concerts left me with ringing ears.
I use a little air purifier I got from walmart years ago, it's small and you replace the filters when they get dirty.

I believe it's a Holmes bionaire. Filters are cheap and easy to find.

well i have worn ear plugs for years now..living beside a river and woods was constant noise..my wife loves it but it drives me bonkers.

We even created a online sale site called snoringduck because i was convinced the dozens of ducks on the river snored....it sounded just like it...maybe it was the tree peepers but she the outlaws told me it was nonesense till i found a youtube video of a baby duck snoring...so the name stuck...snoring duck.

still i like to have the fan running and twisting and higher and lower..like sleeping in a field with the breeze gently flowing over you....can you tell how hard working i was as a laborer back in my youth...:laughing:

I usually have a fan running and the tv on and set with the timer to shut off...depends .....mostly just the fan.....:cool:

Worked in a water treatment plant for 30 years. Lots of shift work due to 24/7 operation. A handy white noise generator is an AM radio set between stations.
Worked great during summer months when I couldn't close the windows because of the heat.

Gotta have a fan on me to sleep good. We run ours year round too.
We even have a big shop fan type in our bedroom, that thing is loud on low!
I even used to have one battery powered one for camping trips!
Lol

Yep, have to have that white noise to sleep, have worked swing shifts over the years, total silence keeps me wide awake, spooky kinda like.

Yep, 22 years in a factory along with gunfire and rock concerts left me with ringing ears.
I use a little air purifier I got from walmart years ago, it's small and you replace the filters when they get dirty.

I believe it's a Holmes bionaire. Filters are cheap and easy to find.

Same here.Except we got a bigger noisier one.If the power goes out we can't sleep.And you also can tell the air is fresh when it is on.I think most prefer noise and don't even know it.That is why we get sleepy when it is raining...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I have had a stereo/radio beside my bed that hasn't been turned off ( except during a power outage ) in over 25 years. It's on the lowest setting possible, so, I only hear it when it's bedtime.

I've always had some type of noise every evening for 35 years. I can't do without it anymore......see ya yardhunter

I sleep great without white noise, then the cat noise starts at 6am wanting to be fed... Earplugs fix that right up.

Have a good app for relaxation tho.. (iPhone) .. Altered States and Sleep Stream 2 .. both good apps.

My wife sleeps with the fan on as well. I need the tv going to get to sleep, but once I'm gone she turns it down and I stay out. Hard to fall asleep without it, but fine afterwards: go figure.

Back
Top Bottom