Just sharing my very first metal detecting video

Good luck on your channel. I liked the short intro. A little more history of the park woul of been nice. I personally don't care to watch vids that only show the finds.

Good luck on your channel. I liked the short intro. A little more history of the park woul of been nice. I personally don't care to watch vids that only show the finds.

Great suggestion! I will definitely think about that for my next videos. Thanks!

Thanx for sharing. The intro was excellent. Eg.: the still shots, the music, the transitions and titling, etc... I also liked that you showed the viewers the panorama of the park that you were about to start hunting. So that we get a feel for the type turf you're about to hunt.

The only thing I would have added, is some actual sounds/tones of your machine, that you are about to chase. Eg.: Some audio of what you are isolating and choosing to dig. Then some live reveals, instead of only after the target is out.

I realize that takes either a 2nd person to be manning the camera, or a go-pro that's perpetually on and aimed (and takes some work to make sure it's aiming the right way either when swinging, or down to dig). I feel this adds a nice touch to the entire hunt, isolate, dig, reveal, and show routine. Especially if it's when you're discussing the nuances of the type sounds and if/when comparing machines.

Thanks, Tom_in_CA! Great suggestions and I will definitely be looking at ways on how to achieve those during solo hunts. I may be able to but might have to test it out this Sunday when I go out for another hunt. I like that formula isolate, dig reveal, repeat!

Thanks again and looking forward to introducing these suggestions in my future videos.

Some good advice so far. Your video has some decent qualities, but with room for improvement. I think you spent way too much time on each find. If you dig a Memorial penny, we don't want to see the date and mintmark, and look at it for 18 seconds. We want to see it out of our sight as soon as possible. :lol:
Piece of a lighter? Cool. Piece of an old lighter...maybe throw a guess as to the age...as you toss it in your pouch and move on. Same with all the other unknowns and junk digs...comment, pouch, move on. I like it when you insert a cleaned item photo and text with ID after showing the dig of some uncertain items. I also like the layout and recap at the end.
Not bad. Keep on it!

Some good advice so far. Your video has some decent qualities, but with room for improvement. I think you spent way too much time on each find. If you dig a Memorial penny, we don't want to see the date and mintmark, and look at it for 18 seconds. We want to see it out of our sight as soon as possible. :lol:
Piece of a lighter? Cool. Piece of an old lighter...maybe throw a guess as to the age...as you toss it in your pouch and move on. Same with all the other unknowns and junk digs...comment, pouch, move on. I like it when you insert a cleaned item photo and text with ID after showing the dig of some uncertain items. I also like the layout and recap at the end.
Not bad. Keep on it!

Thanks for the suggestions and for watching my video. I really appreciate it and will definitely be including these in my next videos. I did realize that I rant too much when I find something so I'll probably need to control and adjust that a bit. LOL Thanks again!!

Edit out most of the junk finds. No one wants to watch 24 minutes of mostly junk finds. No need to stretch out your videos. I'd rather watch a ten minute video with a couple of good finds and some junk finds instead of padding it with too many common finds.

Things to never show in your video: Pull tabs, aluminum foil, nails, bottle caps, beer and soda cans and so on. Why? Because we all dig a ton of these things and don't want to see someone else digging them up! Just my take on your video...

Edit out most of the junk finds. No one wants to watch 24 minutes of mostly junk finds. No need to stretch out your videos. I'd rather watch a ten minute video with a couple of good finds and some junk finds instead of padding it with too many common finds.

Things to never show in your video: Pull tabs, aluminum foil, nails, bottle caps, beer and soda cans and so on. Why? Because we all dig a ton of these things and don't want to see someone else digging them up! Just my take on your video...

Thanks, man! Will keep that in mind. I appreciate the feedback! 😁👍

Edit out most of the junk finds. No one wants to watch 24 minutes of mostly junk finds.....

Although it's always good to have a few of the weenie target digs. Lest it end up resembling the "bass -fishing channel" where every cast is a lunker. So when my buddy and I do our videos, we put the full array of targets. But yes: Not a full video of nothing but or too-much un-ending junk.

I like to show borderline good finds to fill out my videos. Horseshoes, oxen shoes, ox knobs, axe heads and so on. Not rare finds, but relics you don't find every single hunt.

I like to show borderline good finds to fill out my videos. Horseshoes, oxen shoes, ox knobs, axe heads and so on. Not rare finds, but relics you don't find every single hunt.

Although it's always good to have a few of the weenie target digs. Lest it end up resembling the "bass -fishing channel" where every cast is a lunker. So when my buddy and I do our videos, we put the full array of targets. But yes: Not a full video of nothing but or too-much un-ending junk.

+1

Good presentation overall, thanks for sharing ! .....just basically agree with the advice above.

Don't feel bad, no plans to make MD videos myself (at least not yet :lol:) but I admit I likely should limit posting individual pics of my common average finds on my threads like I have done unless it is a somewhat unusual average find :lol:

Maybe I'll try to remember to post individual posts of finds only if it is somehow unusual or a pretty good find, like at least silver or stuff like an IHP.

I'd still like to show all my finds together in one pic so noobs realize they can expect to dig some trash and common finds, but instead of individual pics of that just show a single pic of all the finds together, then individual pics of just the really good and/or unusual finds.

I say all that here so as to give you a suggestion for your videos:

Maybe show just the individual digs of the unusual and really good finds, and at the end of the video you can show all the stuff you dug spread out together for a few seconds and briefly say something like "along with the good and unusual finds already shown individually I also found 6 pennies, 2 clad dimes, a clad quarter and several pull-tabs and bottle caps"

That way noobs would still realize trash and common finds are part of the hunt but the video would only focus on those for a few seconds at the end.

I'd still like to show all my finds together in one pic so noobs realize they can expect to dig some trash and common finds, but instead of individual pics of that just show a single pic of all the finds together, then individual pics of just the really good and/or unusual finds.

That's a great point! The Hoover Boys always show the buckets of trash they find and then have the good stuff lined up on their truck bed. Very important to show how you paid your dues to get the good stuff and to point out that's it's not as easy as it looks in some videos.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback. As I grow in making more content, I'll definitely include the suggestions you guys have given me. I'm not as lucky to have great permissions or properties and I'm usually hunting parks in the city and the suburbs so, not often can I find relics or amazing items. I do enjoy the randomness that parks offer though and that's what excites me as a new metal detectorist. I do, on occasion, find silver items back when I haven't started making videos yet. Hopefully, I find more again as I move forward with this.

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback!

That's a great point! The Hoover Boys always show the buckets of trash they find and then have the good stuff lined up on their truck bed. Very important to show how you paid your dues to get the good stuff and to point out that's it's not as easy as it looks in some videos.

Yep, while not focusing on it too much, but just briefly showing your trash and common finds shows the noobs that detectorists pay their dues when searching for the good finds.

Can you imagine a total noob seeing a MD vid for the first time and there is not even a brief mention of the trash that was found while searching for the good stuff, they might get the impression every dig will yield a neat treasure :lol:

Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback. As I grow in making more content, I'll definitely include the suggestions you guys have given me. I'm not as lucky to have great permissions or properties and I'm usually hunting parks in the city and the suburbs so, not often can I find relics or amazing items. I do enjoy the randomness that parks offer though and that's what excites me as a new metal detectorist. I do, on occasion, find silver items back when I haven't started making videos yet. Hopefully, I find more again as I move forward with this.

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback!

I can appreciate what you're saying as my recent detecting location has not produced much in the way of really good finds, BUT I still enjoyed the hunt itself regardless, it was still fun !

I do hope to get some more (hopefully good) permissions before too long that will yield some nice finds, in the meantime I will still enjoy hunting the locations I can hunt now.

As far as getting enough good finds for your next video, don't feel like the video has to be all from one hunt, if it takes you 4 or 5 hunts to have enough good finds to edit together to make a 15 minute video that is fine, in the meantime you can always research any possibilities for good permissions.

Remember, this is a hobby to enjoy and have fun, don't feel pressure that you have to have great finds every hunt, just enjoy the hunt and have fun !

Back
Top Bottom