My latest Aussie gold adventure!

sandgroper

Elite Member
Hey everyone, thought I’d share my most recent trip to Western Australia’s northern goldfields. Earlier last month I finished my first year of university, so now I’ve got a bit more time for the hobby. Even though it's already summer on this side of the world, dad and I decided to spend a few days up north do some gold prospecting.

As expected, it was very warm, with every day above 40ºC (104F), and on our last day we even had 45ºC (113ºC). Despite the warm weather, dad and I both did well for the five days we spent out. Most of the gold was found on days one and two at a “patch” I had found a little over two years ago. But it goes to show that no one gets it all first time round. The biggest we found weighed in at 8.5g (pictured in my hand).

The place we visited has an old 1890’s homestead nearby, and so I managed to find a few old bottles too, mainly the old Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce bottles. On this trip I also found what I believe to be the original pub rubbish dump. Unfortunately I didn’t have the CTX with me (as I was flying back home from the town dad works in), but I’ll be bringing it back up next time. Pretty much every bottle is broken in the dump, but I still got a few older bottle stoppers.

I’ve uploaded some pics, including a local waterhole that is nice to cool down in, a pic of the rubbish dump and a few of the landscape. In picture eight you might be able to see a cow that I came across at one point. Thanks for looking, and good luck out there! :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 668
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 631
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 641
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 655
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 642
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 638
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 618
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 654
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 630
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 615
Wow fantastic pics! I think the Lea & perrons sroppers were for Worcestershire sauce. Those look like some good size nuggets, nice work!

Wow fantastic pics! I think the Lea & perrons sroppers were for Worcestershire sauce. Those look like some good size nuggets, nice work!

Thanks mate. Yes, found a few bottles, only one or two undamaged, that had "Lea & Perrins, Worcestershire sauce" written on them.

Great finds, i would love to get out there!

Thank you, you're welcome to come over any time :)

Thanks for sharing your great experience !:dingding:

Thank you :grin:

Outstanding! We sure love your posts and taking us along on an adventure very few of us will have the chance to do! :clapping:

I had to laugh at this part!..."(113 degrees), despite the warm weather, dad and I..." :coolinoff: Surface of Mars pics even!...

WHAT? WARM? If thats what you considered warm, what do you estimate as "Scorching?" :heartylaugh: Thats down right untolerable temps! Do you have to wear an oven mitt just to grip your detector? Fire Dept Turn out gear? Asbestos kneeling pad? Do you have a Butler carrying an umbrella and dragging a cooler of ice? How do you do it? Are you hunting at night? Even your poor truck is panting like a dog just sitting there! 'Dry with a gentle breeze" eh?...:laughing:

Outstanding! We sure love your posts and taking us along on an adventure very few of us will have the chance to do! :clapping:

I had to laugh at this part!..."(113 degrees), despite the warm weather, dad and I..." :coolinoff: Surface of Mars pics even!...

WHAT? WARM? If thats what you considered warm, what do you estimate as "Scorching?" :heartylaugh: Thats down right untolerable temps! Do you have to wear an oven mitt just to grip your detector? Fire Dept Turn out gear? Asbestos kneeling pad? Do you have a Butler carrying an umbrella and dragging a cooler of ice? How do you do it? Are you hunting at night? Even your poor truck is panting like a dog just sitting there! 'Dry with a gentle breeze" eh?...:laughing:

You ain't kidding about that heat! I have experienced 104 to 105 Fahrenheit temps a couple times in my life. Thought I was doomed for sure! I couldn't help but feel I had reached the maximum survivable temperature, and one more stinkin degree would've been the fatal flash point or something. That Sangroper must have some tough leather on him!
Awesome post, Sandgroper! Glad to see some nuggets brought to the light of day! That big one is a real dandy!

Great finds and pics! Love that red soil. How on earth do you deal with that heat? I don’t even venture outside here if it gets above 80!

:laughing: :laughing: It definitely is borderline unbearable out there...but somehow we're crazy enough to go out there at this time of the year. I wear long sleeve everything....so sunburn isn't an issue. Although, I had my shirt buttoned down too much this time...so I got a v-shaped sunburn on my chest...learnt from that... :laughing:

We hunt mainly during the morning and evening, and if we do during the day, then we try to find some shade...although there isn't much out there :lol:

Here's the weather forecast for the nearest town. 47c (116.6F) tomorrow :laughing:

http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/gascoyne-junction.shtml

You ain't kidding about that heat! I have experienced 104 to 105 Fahrenheit temps a couple times in my life. Thought I was doomed for sure! I couldn't help but feel I had reached the maximum survivable temperature, and one more stinkin degree would've been the fatal flash point or something. That Sangroper must have some tough leather on him!
Awesome post, Sandgroper! Glad to see some nuggets brought to the light of day! That big one is a real dandy!

Thanks mate. We get temps over 40c every now and then in Perth, so I'm sort of used to it. I will admit, the heat was quite bad on the last day, but thankfully we have a fridge in the car for cold beer and that local waterhole is pretty useful too ;)

Great finds and pics! Love that red soil. How on earth do you deal with that heat? I don’t even venture outside here if it gets above 80!

Thanks, cold beer and spent some time by the water hole nearby too. At least you won't have to worry about being cold at night :lol:

Back
Top Bottom