research question for finding civil war relics

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am doing research on current locations of civil war union and confederate army positions in the battle of Atlanta. My question when a division was located at encampments, battles or creek or river crossings about home much area on the ground would they occupy. Same question for an Army Corp or brigade.

This information will help me locate the civil war locations of these units on a current area using Google maps or historic aerials. Thus I can hopefully find areas today that I can gain permission to detect for CW relics.

Thanks for your help.

It would depend on the size of the unit . But with my experience hunting along creeks and rivers you can usually find relics with in a hundred yards of the water. High ground from the waters edge could be worth looking into. The terrain and resourse's has a lot to do with where they would have camped. Hope this info helps. HH

I am doing research on current locations of civil war union and confederate army positions in the battle of Atlanta. My question when a division was located at encampments, battles or creek or river crossings about home much area on the ground would they occupy. Same question for an Army Corp or brigade.

This information will help me locate the civil war locations of these units on a current area using Google maps or historic aerials. Thus I can hopefully find areas today that I can gain permission to detect for CW relics.

Thanks for your help.

If you've not read this one, it might help.

https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Civil-Campsites-Rural-Areas/dp/1929264089

have you browsed the photo archives on the Library of Congress? My area happened to be well photographed for a couple years and people have pinpointed exact boulders in old photos to current homes. I dig heavily around the LOC archives for info to where I dig.

https://www.loc.gov/photos/?q=camp+griffin

Back
Top Bottom