Question for people with several detectors

Coin-Saver

Elite Member
In your opinion. What would be the best backup detector for the money up to $600?
I have the Equinox 800 and I know some would say the equinox 600 BUT I was thinking of a different machine. Remember it would be a back up and something new to learn on and not a primary detector.

I think a Vanquish 340 or 440 would be a great backup or a "lender" machine for family or friends to go hunting.

I own quite a few machine. Nothing is backup,all my machines are in play and not one is better than the rest... I have never had a machine break down on me, and I’ve owned a lot. If you like your 800 then use it,and don’t waste money on a wall hanger waiting for your nox to break down. Foolish money spent imo...Backup and compliment are the two words in this hobbie That make me shake my head sometimes

I own quite a few machine. Nothing is backup,all my machines are in play and not one is better than the rest... I have never had a machine break down on me, and I’ve owned a lot. If you like your 800 then use it,and don’t waste money on a wall hanger waiting for your nox to break down. Foolish money spent imo...Backup and compliment are the two words in this hobbie That make me shake my head sometimes

Totally agreed. This isn’t a poke at the OP in any way, rather a suggestion that whatever you decide on, make it quite different than what you already have. I use my machines HEAVILY during our hunting season and haven’t EVER had one malfunction of any kind. The key here is of course....learning BOTH machines that you have to their full potential, so in the event something WERE to happen, you’d be right back in the game. And switch off...use both machines very often, and use the strengths of both machines in the same sites to extract as much as you can. If I were to buy a “complimentary” machine to the Equinox, it would be a used Explorer. That’s MY game, not necessarily yours...

Totally agreed. This isn’t a poke at the OP in any way, rather a suggestion that whatever you decide on, make it quite different than what you already have. I use my machines HEAVILY during our hunting season and haven’t EVER had one malfunction of any kind. The key here is of course....learning BOTH machines that you have to their full potential, so in the event something WERE to happen, you’d be right back in the game. And switch off...use both machines very often, and use the strengths of both machines in the same sites to extract as much as you can. If I were to buy a “complimentary” machine to the Equinox, it would be a used Explorer. That’s MY game, not necessarily yours...

Exactly. Good post here.. FBS are just the kings of discrimination,that’s what your paying all that loot for. I like all machines,but if digging the goods and skipping the junk are your thing then FBs is king..Sure,other machines might unmask a little better,and get a few more keepers but at the expense of a pouch full of wire,bottle caps and other junk that rings up as a coin on everything but a Fbs.Just my opinion but I’m with IDX on this one,get a FBS and use it and your 800,you’ll clean sites with those two.. And both would be in play,and not a backup

Well said woodbutcher & IDX.

I too think a Nox and an FBS compliment each other very well. Outside of testing and comparisons, those are really the only two I use nowadays. Not to say the others aren’t great machines as well, but I feel like the CTX and Nox covers all the bases for the types of hunting I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original poster set their spending limit at $600. There aren't too many (if any) quality used CTX 3030s or Etracs out there for less than $600 unless one of you guys that are touting them have one for the OP to buy.

If the OP wants something totally different than the Equinox 800 multi frequency, that is a good quality detector with threshold based all metal mode and sparky audio, I would get a Nokta Makro Simplex or a Nokta Makro Multi Kruzer.

If they want something similar to the Equinox 800, the Vanquish 440 is hard to beat for the price.

I should clarify, I wasn’t suggesting the CTX to the OP. Just chiming in that FBS and Multi-IQ is a great combo. I’ll echo what Kevin said. An Explorer or even a used Etrac is always an option if he did want to try FBS. I’ve seen a few Etracs around the $600 mark.

The Simplex is a nice machine too. Very similar to the Nox in what it offers though, IMHO. Like running a Nox in single frequency mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the word backup is what got this off course. I should have just stuck with

"A different detector to learn on and loan for $600 or less".

The idea was never intended to expect anything to break down. It was more intended for something else to learn on in the event. Also something that could be relatively easy to help someone with as far as a loaner. My question was geared towards having a second detector

It definitely wouldn't be a wall hanger. I have 7 guitars and not one of them is an official wall hanger. Although now that I think about it, now that I am getting back into detecting I might need to sell a few so that doesn't happen

Interesting topic...I think you would enjoy a FBS machine as well and the Fe/Co ID adds another dimension to detecting. I wanted something to add to my FBS machine (and something lighter), so I chose an X-Terra 705 due to what I've read about them, the videos I've seen and the fact that it wouldn't break the bank. The X-Terra is a little dated, but still in production. A good used one can be had for $300 or a little less. The TID is similar to the Conductive scale on my SE PRO and may be similar to a NOX...??.... That said, I want to keep the MineLab TID scale in my head! I've owned a NOX 800 and we didn't get along, so I thought, but now I'm leaning towards getting another one. A new Vanquish 540 would be an excellent choice as well, just around $100 more than a used 705. The Simplex is also a good option, but the audio just bugs the heck out of me (reminds me of a chicken or something), plus I'd be going back to an expanded scale machine. I still have an old Teknetics Delta, which is my loaner. BTW, I sold my Strat collection (5)....they were just collecting dust. The only guitar I have now is a cheap EPI LP Studio and it's just collecting dust too! Good luck with whatever you decide to get, HH!

Last edited:
A good used E-Trac would be my choice. I've had both and while the 800 is a killer detector, it doesn't, In my opinion, get quite the depth of the E-Trac in normal conditions.

Unless you are a water hunter and drown your Equinox the term "backup" doesn't apply. You wont need one. Picture yourself going out for a hunt. You want to grab the best detector for what you are about to do. What is better than the 800? People use the term backup to justify another toy that will just depreciate in the corner.

Well, to those who only want their one detector, I say great, whatever works for you. But like some others, I have a several detectors for each of several different reasons.

I've got a couple very rugged underwater machines (that definitely leaves out NOX). When I hunt chest deep in the ocean, surf is often pretty rough. I take at least 2 machines for that; typically a CZ-20/21 and a Sea Hunter II (PI for less trashy areas). An Excal II would also be a good choice.

For dry sand/wet sand hunts I'd take 2 machines (Minelab Sovereign GT and maybe a Garrett or Fisher. If something happens with the detector I'm using, or one of my kids or grandkids comes by, I've got other detectors with me. My wife also hunts, and she has her own detectors, which are what's best for her.

For old homesteads, cellar holes, etc. a Nokta Macro or Minelab NOX would be perfect. One machine for everything, is like saying one fishing rod for all kinds of fishing. I deep sea fish for pelagic, bottom fish for sea bass, flounder, etc, and fresh water lake fish on occasion. I probably have at least 3 or 4 rods and reels for every type of fishing we do. I don't run 80 miles offshore with 1 rig. But that's just my way of thinking.

Sometimes you can find an exceptional price on a decent detector and actually be able to get your money back or make a little, if you decide to sell...

etrac is my backup to my nox 800

For $600 I would say the ATpro would do you justice as long as you are not in the salt water.

Back
Top Bottom