To ‘Nox or Not to ‘Nox? That is the question…

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Since it’s been slow on here recently I have decided to share my thoughts on the Equinox from what I have read here and the videos that I have seen. Many of you out there are singing its praises, a few have had some glitches that may be expected when any new machine that hits the market, others are waiting for theirs to arrive and many others are sitting on the fence “waiting it out”. Some of you are probably very happy with whatever you got and won’t even consider one. I am in the camp of it’s not something I need…yet! I would never get a Nox to be my water hunting machine - for that I have my modded Excal (“Merlin”), SS (and just sold CZ). I am not big on dirt hunting, especially now that my Scouting days with my son are over, but I do like to dry sand hunt. The detector that I have for that and enjoy is my Deleon. The Deleon with its 3x18” Clean Sweep Coil is just a killer for me covering large swaths of real estate on the beach. Its drawback is that it’s a heavy coil and will pain my arm on an average 4-hour hunt. Another minor drawback is that it’s not waterproof. I have the rain cover for it and when I know there may be a chance of rain I stick in my pocket. Herein lies the niche, or rationale for me on why I would consider getting a ‘Nox. All of you that have been out there hunting with it are praising its lightness. I can see a time in the future where the Deleon with its CSC would just not work for me to swing anymore and the ‘Nox could step in with an oversized coil that is also light. Waterproofness is a plus as well as the ability to hit wet sand and maybe go in the water if I wanted to – something I cannot do with the Deleon. Usually, I know when I am going out to detect I plan on whether it’s going to be a dry sand hunt or a water hunt and choose what I believe is the proper tool for the job. What the ‘Nox would seem to give me is more versatility on my options should a different type of hunt present itself. That and my rationale for why I would consider getting one is why its a consideration for me…just not yet! ;)

Good points all. For ME and probably others, but specifically for ME, the Nox is a perfect fit. Price range is what I'd want to spend. The functionality is better, IMHO than many/most in that range. For ME, again, ME, it fits the bill of being a good dirt hunter and a good salt hunter. It is waterproof for both lake and sea hunting. As a bonus it is light weight. There are plenty of people who don't need it because their existing stock of detectors covers what the Nox does. Others are happy with a machine that they know well vs learning a new one.

BCD

Last edited:
I'm considering one as a backup to my Excal and as a dirt machine. I absolutely love the Deus with it's lighter weight, better ergonomics, coil selection and it's actually fully wireless. The problem is the equinox would woop it's butt at the beach all day long.

I had my excal go down (bad coil) a while ago and had to use the Deus for the rest of the hunt. I wasn't able to water hunt for almost a month (quickly learned how hard it is to find 10" BBS coils) If I had an equinox, I could've been back in the water immediately. It's cheaper than having 2 excals and more versatile so for that reason, i'm considering one. Yes, I know you can get a waterproof kit for a Deus. No thanks. The shaft alone has way too much flex to swing underwater and even if it had a CF shaft, it still wouldn't be nearly as good as a MF machine.

I am by no means convinced that all these finds would not be found with other machines. I think a ton of these posts are attention seeking bandwagon posts to be honest. I realize that sounds mean but I promise you, some people are posting b/c they want to feel like a part of the cool crowd.

Yep, just another tool in the tool box.
Minelab released this detector in late January 2018. I'll probably give it a good year to see how things pan out. If the chains all of a sudden start showing up in posts I may purchase sooner but that hasn't been the case so far.

Do you have free time because school is out already? Lol

Water hunting is where it’s at, and you already have some great machines for doing just that! If anything, I think the NOX is a sign of even better things to come. I'm hopeful this will lead to a replacement for the Excal.

Meanwhile, for dry sand beach hunting....this tiny coil drives me nuts. I feel like I"m using a pinpointer. The CSC, WOT, and 17" CTX coils are the bees knees for covering ground.

Attachments

• 12983801_1677015299189932_9084245069128621988_o.jpg
    12983801_1677015299189932_9084245069128621988_o.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 648
I couldnt pass it up for the price, warranty, weight and its ability to do what the higher priced machines did..... and more. Its not quit what i expected in the water.... or at least not yet even with all the gold ive found. Ive found you can hunt with anything.... the limits being you and the machine. You get used to it .... and even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Ive got Xcals and the CTX too.... and several hours on the Nox. But you never know what you missed... and can only compare what you found. Hard decission if your machines are just as good. I looked at it like this...... we were all crying for a new Xcal..... this really seems to be what we asked for from ML.... think about it.

Dew

Do you have free time because school is out already? Lol

Not yet David! Soon, very soon! You'll know school's out by the title of my 1st post which'll be something like "1st Summer Gold"! ;):lol:

I have been looking for the "NEO" or the one for many years now. I'm tired of having to pick this detector for that job and visa versa. I know the value of only using one detector. Mainly because you get the very best you can get when only one detector is used.

Not saying just yet that the Equinox is that one, but so far it's as close as I've used and I'm waiting on that on opportunity to say it is my one. It has already proved the best tot lot/school/park detector for gold I've used, but I have yet to find that location to tell me it can match, or beat, the E-Trac for those super deep coins. We've cleaned all those places out over the last 20 years and beat them to death with our E-Tracs but sooner or later we will find that place and I can once and for all call it my NEO.

If you already have an excal I don't think the nox is going to find anything different...but

Its so much lighter...the difference is night and day.

That and the fact that its $650 make it a winner for me. I do personally like the excal better (I loved the tones best out of all of the machines I've owned) but I am done swinging machines that heavy for the time being. No reason to have a machine that costs more, is heavier, and is going to find the same things. I am really curious to see how it performs when that 15'' coil comes out.

The gold you find? Just treat yourself to a change GATO! We only live once. Heck i have several electric bicycles and am still looking to upgrade for that perfect beach detecting bike:lol:

The gold you find? Just treat yourself to a change GATO! We only live once. Heck i have several electric bicycles and am still looking to upgrade for that perfect beach detecting bike:lol:
I just packed my completely Fisher refurbished CZ-21 and it'll be making its way to its new owner tomorrow. Maybe I'll pull the trigger sooner rather than later on a 'Nox...or...maybe I'll just wait for the Fisher Manta! :yes: :lol:

I've been toying with the idea myself. It's lighter (I have a bad shoulder that I've thus far refused surgery on) and it picks up gold chains while the Excal II doesn't. I'm looking more at the 600 after watching a video on the subject on Minelab's treasure find forum. The 2-3 differences between the 600 and 800 wouldn't justify the $250-300 price difference, they both have the same sensitivity and depth. Just my thoughts on the 2 from what I've seen and heard.

I've been toying with the idea myself. It's lighter (I have a bad shoulder that I've thus far refused surgery on) and it picks up gold chains while the Excal II doesn't. I'm looking more at the 600 after watching a video on the subject on Minelab's treasure find forum. The 2-3 differences between the 600 and 800 wouldn't justify the $250-300 price difference, they both have the same sensitivity and depth. Just my thoughts on the 2 from what I've seen and heard.

I let a disabled guy who uses an AT pro try mine the other day with my carbon fiber shaft mod. Big difference in weight, no S shaft and isnt as nose heavy as a AT series. Said he was getting one after he felt how light mine was. Was just slightly heavier than my friends modded explorer with shoulder mounted controls. In other words about as light as we are going to get i think.

I just packed my completely Fisher refurbished CZ-21 and it'll be making its way to its new owner tomorrow. Maybe I'll pull the trigger sooner rather than later on a 'Nox...or...maybe I'll just wait for the Fisher Manta! :yes: :lol:

I was ready to hold out and wait for the Fisher Manta but saw a good deal on a barely used Nox 600 and got it. Just got Tony's headphones as well. So she's ready for the water :) I still don't like dirt hunting over the beach but the Nox was a good upgrade option for dirt hunting over my ace350.

Still think I'll choose the cz21 for true water hunting but the nox would be good for a day where you wet sand, then decide to snorkel a bit.

Did you decide to sell the cz just because you had sufficient water machines with the excal and ss? Cz silent search is always nice but I can understand you selling since you have backup.

Felix.... I think you should buy one of each new machine out there... just look at all the gold chains this new wonder machine is hauling in... :laughing:

If you got money to burn go for it... I'll stick with my old technology thanks :D

Did you decide to sell the cz just because you had sufficient water machines with the excal and ss? Cz silent search is always nice but I can understand you selling since you have backup.
I didn't want to keep 3 water machines. I prefer running the larger coil on my modded Excal and I find that I don't care for silent search as threshold noise is much better for my undiagnosed ADD! :yes: :lol:

Felix.... I think you should buy one of each new machine out there... just look at all the gold chains this new wonder machine is hauling in... :laughing: If you got money to burn go for it... I'll stick with my old technology thanks :D
I believe you're confusing me with another member of this forum the "scoop and detector collector". :laughing:

Your already killin it on the beach with what your using now, do you really need the Nox? I say wait for the Manta :yes:

I went with the 600 for this reason. I am a beach hunter and would never use gold mode. The WM is not worth it since you can just use bluetooth headphones. Whether or not the advanced features are worth $250 are up to each individual. The only features I even use are volume and sensitivity on the beach.

Back
Top Bottom