Equinox Extra Waterproofing?

Caribbeanson

Forum Supporter
Seen one thread related to Equinox leaking, not sure how many are dunking there's yet. I know Scuba is still a few days out with bathing his.

Was wondering what you all thought about putting some gasket maker or something along the upper rod where the control box connects. Guess the smooth metal wouldn't bond well with the plastic and rubber on the pod but it crossed my mind. Kinda doubting that the leaking story was because of water entering the bottom of the pod (maybe somewhere else in the components) but...

If it leaks

You get it fixed, it comes with a 3 year warranty, tampering might Void the warranty, they had some CTX 3030 leaks, wouldn't be a bit surprised, not intending to submerge mine over the head, personally i wouldn't worry about leaks, go a head and hunt, :laughing: Earl

Im the guy that breaks everything i hunt with...... mines been in the water 300 hours or so.... i plan on keeping it there for the next 3 years. If it goes after the warranty..... unless something better has come out ill have it fixed. Seems the thought is to THROW AWAY the box/handle and just give you a new one. Whats that going to cost .... less than a new one id think. I tell you ..... she seems pretty water tight..... if anything fails.... my guess would be the battery gasket in the handle. Salt water gets in the connector area thru the hole for the handle and stays there. There will always be a issue here or there on any machine...... someone get clumsy and either of those cables sticking out could break.... most the issues is us.

I plan on wetting mine a good bit this Summer. I won't go deep with it but I will be taking advantage of our lake being at full pool to hunt the beaches more than I did last year. We'll see how she does.

BCD

Thanks, I understand what you all mean for the warranty, and sounds like the repairs/replacements have been quick thus far.

Logistics for repairs aren't as easy once you leave the US but I will be dunking the nox soon enough, might as well find out sooner rather than later how she does underwater :)

Had mine in the water for 5 hours total. Stayed dry.

Thanks. Was hoping others would weigh in on how their underwater use has gone. Saw before where dew was dunking his a lot :) thanks for the additional info dew.

Im hunting 5 to 7 days a week...... never less than 7 hours a hunt. Yes mine is waterproof and knock on wood no issues at all. Ive got a good 300 plus hours now and most of that the control box is under water.

Right now PA isnt doing the repairs on the Nox..... main shop is. They are accumulating data/information on any issues and it goes directly to Aussy land. I believe thats one reason for the slowwwwww output of machines. From what im told so far minor things with no real bugs either. But then.... i doubt theyd say ...... Dew we have a Houston problem.:lol: Only minor problem so far has been the shafts...... but IMO a 3 piece shaft is a travel shaft to be used occasionally. Even Andersons makes that clear with their shafts. It doesnt help they only use one button hole for their spring clip either. Only one guys machine so far has DIED. You can bet with people eager to share about this machine ...... if there is an issue we will know it.

Im hunting 5 to 7 days a week...... never less than 7 hours a hunt. Yes mine is waterproof and knock on wood no issues at all. Ive got a good 300 plus hours now and most of that the control box is under water.

Right now PA isnt doing the repairs on the Nox..... main shop is. They are accumulating data/information on any issues and it goes directly to Aussy land. I believe thats one reason for the slowwwwww output of machines. From what im told so far minor things with no real bugs either. But then.... i doubt theyd say ...... Dew we have a Houston problem.:lol: Only minor problem so far has been the shafts...... but IMO a 3 piece shaft is a travel shaft to be used occasionally. Even Andersons makes that clear with their shafts. It doesnt help they only use one button hole for their spring clip either. Only one guys machine so far has DIED. You can bet with people eager to share about this machine ...... if there is an issue we will know it.

Thanks again Dew. Sounds like your Nox-know-how book is coming next :) Will keep an eye on the shaft but I'm used to completely breaking down and washing out the cz rods after every hunt.

Plan to test fit Tony's phones on the machine tonight and hopefully get out this week.

I plan on wetting mine a good bit this Summer. I won't go deep with it but I will be taking advantage of our lake being at full pool to hunt the beaches more than I did last year. We'll see how she does.

BCD

I'm out there pretty much everyday it's not raining so maybe I'll see you there one day.

Cool. I'll keep my eyes out for ya. Do you ever work the dry or just stick to the wet? Not many targets in the wet but a heck of a lot fewer bottle caps!

BCD

Don't dig any crown top bottle caps with my Kruzer and 7" concentric coil. I leave them all for you guys with the Equinox:laughing:

Bottle caps can be a pain to most...... but im finding all that gold im digging that the other machines are miss plum wearing me out.:laughing: In all fairness...... any machine you can get in the water has the same chance i have of tripping on something.

You should like Tonys phones. Im using a pair of Ole beach nuts with gel muffs right now...... got Tonys as back up when i really want to get wet.

Oh boy. 1st dip with the Nox today. Hit well in the water, wet sand was sanded in with light junk. Got some pulltabs at 1, some at 13, 16 etc. :)

Felt a bit harder to swing in the water than the cz coil with hip mount. I can probably change the shaft velcro and make it a bit better.

Anyways, 45 mins into the hunt, in waist deep water, with swimsuit models doing a photo shoot nearby, ;)... for some reason I managed to look down... :laughing: ...to see this caution sign on the nox display. I start getting chills no model could warm :p I'm thinking "oh great, my worse nightmare, caution sign near the battery sign = water in batt compartment.

Tried to look up the manual but crappy cell signal on the beach, meant one google only, my luck "caution sign on equinox" pulls up the one page discussing the guy's detector than had water intrusion. :crying:

Needless to say it was a crabby drive home worrying I had to send another detector for repair. Got home and see its just an overload indicator....:facepalm: guess I should have read the manual more...realistically my brain was saying overload indicator, but nerves were saying water water, trashed machine. :no::roll:

Screenshot_20180528-195542_Drive.jpg

Only one water hunt so far, but had it about 5 hours with the control head at and under water. No problems so far. The sealed controls and double o-rings on the battery are a good design (for users anyway, probably not for repairs)

Found gold on its first water hunt. Not sure how to explain it.... I've hunted this lake beach for 18 years. Through drought and flood. I thought I had mostly hunted it out, but I no more than walked into the water than I began getting hits. I spent hours walking in circles in a 10 foot area digging all ages of tabs, modern drops, crusty sand-cookie coins, half dozen rings (all crusty, well except the gold) 2 of them silvers. Almost everything had been there a long time but I never found them before. The beach felt like the first time I hunted it 18 year ago!

I'm on the wait list for waterproof phones. I need to get out deeper in the water!

Only one water hunt so far, but had it about 5 hours with the control head at and under water. No problems so far. The sealed controls and double o-rings on the battery are a good design (for users anyway, probably not for repairs)

Found gold on its first water hunt. Not sure how to explain it.... I've hunted this lake beach for 18 years. Through drought and flood. I thought I had mostly hunted it out, but I no more than walked into the water than I began getting hits. I spent hours walking in circles in a 10 foot area digging all ages of tabs, modern drops, crusty sand-cookie coins, half dozen rings (all crusty, well except the gold) 2 of them silvers. Almost everything had been there a long time but I never found them before. The beach felt like the first time I hunted it 18 year ago!

I'm on the wait list for waterproof phones. I need to get out deeper in the water!

Nice going Jason. Yea I think I was just freaking a bit. Hopefully will get in a real hunt soon.

Back
Top Bottom