2-day hunt finds thin-gold chain !!!

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
Day-1 ... First outting with the NOX800. After 2 hours i had some junk and almost a buck in change.

DAY-2 ... bumped into several guys with 600s. Said my hellos and moved out of their way to a different area. Found a bunch of coins and then this dainty chain. The mating clasp was broken off. It comes in at the same #s as my other 10k jewelry. Don't have an acid kit but I cut a link and looked at it under a loup, it's looks good to me.

FWIW, I grabbed the CTX and PIs, all were able to ID it. Anyhow, fun stuff, but the tiny NOX coil is painstakingly slow compared to the CTXs 17".
ed63bdf6c07e0fa25e515602c1c1a9ca.jpg
c347ca0d14b859ab8c4dae0517ae28c1.jpg
21e1f420872cb956cb1164d149087406.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some detectorists out there are doing well with their NOX but I remain unconvinced as to abandoning my machines in favor or putting out the cash to buy a NOX.

From what I've seen I don't think its out performing the Excel II or the CZ's machines in the sands of many beaches. While I admit it picks up small chains, small chains are not the bulk of our finds. Most of the finds I've seen with the NOX's would have been picked up with the EXCAL CXT's or CZ's.

Factoring in the cost effectiveness brings the question as to how many feet of thin chain would it take to justify the expense of the NOX. I may be in the minority but I'm still on the fence and not rushing to my local dealer and laying out nearly a thousand bucks. Perhaps I'll think more about it come christmas time.

I may be in the minority but I'm still on the fence and not rushing to my local dealer and laying out nearly a thousand bucks.

May I join you Numil?

Attachments

• girl-backpack-thinking-sunset-field-fence-moment-field-reeds-hd-fullscreen.jpg
    girl-backpack-thinking-sunset-field-fence-moment-field-reeds-hd-fullscreen.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 452
Ive found you can hunt with anything..... you just reach the machines ability and yours. Some people can just be clueless and find good stuff.... you wonder how lol. There are a lot of faults with the Nox over the Xcal and CTX....but there are a lot of things i like over them as well. In the wet sand beach 1.... the Nox is just hard to beat for depth on low conductors. In the water.... swings easier, you do have a screen everynow and the to look at... which you can actually see in the sun and under water with sunglasses on. Its fast to recover. BUT.... it likes to chat if you run it on edge.... for some thats a game breaker. Those digits.... awful condensed. So much so i just run in two tones. The Xcal hates iron..... and the CTX IMO has way more target info..... hey but its a LOT CHEAPER and the warranty sure is nice. Is it worth investing in..... that depends on if your curious more than anything..... because what ever you use in the water will pay for its self..... and this machine can be used for about any type hunting. If you are like me most a beach guy now......ive not seen a lot the other machines wont get.... but this machine is a cheaper than either and a good travel machine. You need to get some acid.....

Ive found you can hunt with anything..... you just reach the machines ability and yours. Some people can just be clueless and find good stuff.... you wonder how lol. There are a lot of faults with the Nox over the Xcal and CTX....but there are a lot of things i like over them as well. In the wet sand beach 1.... the Nox is just hard to beat for depth on low conductors. In the water.... swings easier, you do have a screen everynow and the to look at... which you can actually see in the sun and under water with sunglasses on. Its fast to recover. BUT.... it likes to chat if you run it on edge.... for some thats a game breaker. Those digits.... awful condensed. So much so i just run in two tones. The Xcal hates iron..... and the CTX IMO has way more target info..... hey but its a LOT CHEAPER and the warranty sure is nice. Is it worth investing in..... that depends on if your curious more than anything..... because what ever you use in the water will pay for its self..... and this machine can be used for about any type hunting. If you are like me most a beach guy now......ive not seen a lot the other machines wont get.... but this machine is a cheaper than either and a good travel machine. You need to get some acid.....
Yeah i am not scared to flood a Nox. But basically it puts an ex AT pro user out in the saltwater with us as serious competition. Harder to pull the trigger on a CTX and head for water. I still lose sleep thinking about it. Nox i just go swimming and start swinging. It floods you get a new machine. CTX you only get parts. Mine flooded they didnt even put in new screws.:lol:

Nice little 10k!

One thing I really like about the Nox, the weigh. I don't need one but I know it has made a lot of older hunters happy with that...Thanks for the report, and continue the mission!!

:dingding: That's a beautiful and fine example of a Felix penny in that 1st picture! :wow: And congrats on the gold chain too! :lol:

:dingding: That's a beautiful and fine example of a Felix penny in that 1st picture! :wow: And congrats on the gold chain too! [emoji38]
Lol, also scored a 0.05€ coin. Taking it with me to spend on our trip to Italy & Spain. =)

Congrats on the necklace. Did it come out balled up? Will all 3 still hit it straightened out or just the clasp?

Yeah it was balled up. Chain acid test came back at 10k. Ill pop off the clasp and test it. It's only about 12" long... probably a child's.

Is that silver or gold colored?

Looks like stainless from the picture..:?:

Looks just like the chain they use on Hali Jigs...

Stainless steel will pass an acid test fine.. Hang it near a strong magnet if its silver colored..

If its gold colored, congrats and disregard the above ^..:D

<°)))>{

Is that silver or gold colored?

Looks like stainless from the picture..:?:

Looks just like the chain they use on Hali Jigs...

Stainless steel will pass an acid test fine.. Hang it near a strong magnet if its silver colored..

If its gold colored, congrats and disregard the above ^..:D

<°)))>{

white gold, there are wear spots with the rhodium coming off and the yellow shining through. You had me a bit paranoid, so I did check with a magnet too. Gold it is!

basically it puts an ex AT pro user out in the saltwater with us as serious competition.
FYI - I just quoted you so you could see the test info.

Ive found you can hunt with anything.....
Congrats on the necklace. Did it come out balled up? Will all 3 still hit it straightened out or just the clasp?

It took almost 30 minutes to untangle the mess but I finally got it. The total length is 19.25". The big loops are a micro fine gauge but almost 1/8" wide while the majority of the chain is 1/16" wide loops. With the help of a bud, we laid the necklace in a straight line on top of a 30" tall box and swung the coils over the box / chain. Keep in mind, I removed the clasp for the test.

With a coil sweep speed of about 1.5 sec / ft, and some major attention to *settings, the following depths were achieved:
  • NOX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 3-1/2"
  • CTX - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4-1/4"
  • Excal - it can ID the necklace from 0 - 4"
  • PI - it can ID the necklace from 1 - 7". BUT it doesn't see the necklace at 0-1"

While cleaning up, I dropped my phone and shattered the screen. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow and will see if they can copy my mem card.

Anyhow, in a controlled test and with the right settings, the CTX, Excal, and PI can find the chain and find the chain at greater depths than the NOX. :yes: :shock: :cool:

**Revised to remove settings from public post. If you want the settings info, please PM me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_225902835_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180521_225902835_LL.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
white gold, there are wear spots with the rhodium coming off and the yellow shining through. You had me a bit paranoid, so I did check with a magnet too. Gold it is!

Awesome!

That's a tough target for sure...

<°)))>{

Crappy about the phone. Wonder why the pi wasn't hitting under an inch.. maybe overload? Weight wise is the pi pro lighter than the noz?

Back
Top Bottom