Might want to test this with your Equinox in saltwater?

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Been water hunting with my Equinox. Got 4 gold total with it. But what is interesting is i tested something and hope you don't find the same thing. Running all metal on the deep deep stuff. I hit a lot of solid - iron hits with one shallow arrow showing. Dig down real deep and quite a few were either sinkers or pulltabs:shock: Needless to say i dig it all in the water now. Did get a nice 14k mens wedding band that stayed a solid 16 four scoops down. So not sure if gold will remain more stable? I'll still keep using the Equinox but its no CTX on id'ing anything. In fact it's a pain in the butt! You get to submerge yours test all metal and dig the deep deep iron stuff and see what happens. And yes in the water 1 arrow can be over a foot deep!:lol:

I agree the ID stinks on the equinox,and on land too..I get jumped on like i don't know what I'm talking about,,but here's another not so good ID thread on the equinox..I'm guessing the majority of people who think it has good ID don't have anything to compare it to,or don't know how to use either machine.:laughing:
I'd give the equinox a perfect 10 if it had better ID,but it don't,,Shame that's it's only downfall,but a big downfall to some people

Last edited:
I agree the ID stinks on the equinox,and on land too..I get jumped on like i don't know what I'm talking about,,but here's another bad ID thread on the equinox..Im guessing the majority who think it has good visual ID either don't have anything to compare it to,,or don't know how to use either machine if they do.:laughing:

All you got to do is watch the Equinox youtube videos and you will see they are all the same krappy I.D. machines. Gonna go out on a limb and say ML is going to have to tweak their new technology. Literally most targets give an iron hit along with a good tone. Or just iron on a good target. It gets worse the deeper the water gets too:shock:

All you got to do is watch the Equinox youtube videos and you will see they are all the same krappy I.D. machines. Gonna go out on a limb and say ML is going to have to tweak their new technology. Literally most targets give an iron hit along with a good tone. Or just iron on a good target. It gets worse the deeper the water gets too:shock:

The good thing here is what you said, minelab tweaking the machine..So they can fix it,but will they.Thats what's nice about upgradable machines now,it can be fixed at home right from your pc

I could care less about the ID or the depth. I go by tone alone with the critter. Hopefully next week I will be in the water with it. Gets warm then cold here too much lately. Will see what it does for me in the lake.

I could care less about the ID or the depth. I go by tone alone with the critter. Hopefully next week I will be in the water with it. Gets warm then cold here too much lately. Will see what it does for me in the lake.

When your underwater you can dig as many holes and as big of a hole anywhere you want Can't do that in someone's yard,ID needs to be good..I'd say it's a great water machine or relic machine,not so much a manicured yard machine.
If minelab fixes the ID thing I'd be getting another ASAP,but that's a coin toss if they do..Not that there's anything wrong with the 3030 but it's been made upgradable and minelab never did anything with that.

When your underwater you can dig as many holes and as big of a hole anywhere you want Can't do that in someone's yard,ID needs to be good..I'd say it's a great water machine or relic machine,not so much a manicured yard machine.
If minelab fixes the ID thing I'd be getting another ASAP,but that's a coin toss if they do..Not that there's anything wrong with the 3030 but it's been made upgradable and minelab never did anything with that.

Actually it works well for me. I can pinpoint pretty well without the button and I can guess if it is something I want to dig. I have been on lawns and have done pretty good. Not great but I haven't made a mess.

This is good news for me.. I see a few of my competitors are swinging away already. Very good news as they cherry pick.
Good thing this thread wasn't on findmall.. that idiot moderator would have deleted the thread already

That's bad news for those of us still waiting on the Nox Larry. I was hopping it would be close to the CTX but lighter.

Real light with my carbon fiber mod. CTX it isn't. Swings nice in the water though. Beach2 works better than Beach1.

Did you not catch what he said thou........ a ft or more down. MOST machines will ID good targets that deep down as iron....... heck ive dug bottle caps a ft and a half down with both the Xcal and CTX. Most of the time you can just take a little sand off the top. The Nox does seem to give a good tone which gets you checking..... maybe that something no other machine did and we just notice those targets...... because i know what the Xcal would do on them... null if you arent in PP mode. I dont like the screen and digits either.... but then ive never really been a screen watcher except with the CTX just because of the smart screen and target positioning.

Ive noticed something else Larry.... quarters. I seem to be digging some shallower than normal that barely give me a good signal. The fact that they are there and there are a lot of hunters leads me to ask...... were they on edge and missed or is it not so good on them when positioned wrong? Ive said all along ..... its no CTX for dirt hunting.... but it a darn good beach machine especially for the price. I see an awfully lot of people buying 2 of um. Its not for everyone.... you can tell that by some being sold quickly. I just like all three of the ML machines for different reasons........ its hard to choose which to use some days. Dont hold your breath on ML making computer updates...... why when they can add any changes to a new version 3 years down the road and sell another batch.

That's bad news for those of us still waiting on the Nox Larry. I was hopping it would be close to the CTX but lighter.

Its not that the CTX is better at ID, rather it gives you more info to make your decision to dig or not. No matter what not even the CTX is perfect at ID. If you are cherry picking you will miss good targets with any machine. Its all about figuring out the % of good targets you are missing vs the time wasted trying to get them. Thus the CTX is better for this type of hunting. I am just glad I am a beach hunter - I dig all non iron. I could care less about ID. I just need iron vs non iron.

Been water hunting with my Equinox. Got 4 gold total with it. But what is interesting is i tested something and hope you don't find the same thing. Running all metal on the deep deep stuff. I hit a lot of solid - iron hits with one shallow arrow showing. Dig down real deep and quite a few were either sinkers or pulltabs:shock: Needless to say i dig it all in the water now. Did get a nice 14k mens wedding band that stayed a solid 16 four scoops down. So not sure if gold will remain more stable? I'll still keep using the Equinox but its no CTX on id'ing anything. In fact it's a pain in the butt! You get to submerge yours test all metal and dig the deep deep iron stuff and see what happens. And yes in the water 1 arrow can be over a foot deep!:lol:

I assume you mean solid iron hits by the tone? Or are you just talking about the numbers?

I assume you mean solid iron hits by the tone? Or are you just talking about the numbers?

Both. Dug an 8 oz lead sinker that was a solid -6. Been using a CTX for years. Just know that the CTX would hit on these targets as non ferrous with no problem at the same depth. Equinox you never really know in salt water or wet sand where i hunt. Not the only one here who figured it out since about half the beach detectors here now are Equinox.

Itsa....... ive only seen 2 so far and both were out of staters. But with it being light weight and salt water ready...... you are right its going to be the next Xcal... a machine everyone uses. You are also right..... shes a long ways from obsoleting other machines. It seems to be a lot about angle of the the target to me. I used to use an Explorer and quickly noticed.... in Auto.... it had a definite cut off where it would ID targets..... but in manual it would go deeper and continue to ID targets.... even if it called it iron. We do have to dig a lot of trash.... but right now i think everyone is trying to see if it will indeed find a small chain in the 1 and 2 digit range.... plus the digits are really crunched in the 14 digit range. Now you are telling me i have to treat it like a PI...... ugh. You are killing me Larry.:lol:

Now you are telling me i have to treat it like a PI...... ugh. You are killing me Larry.:lol:

Ha...I thought the same thing. Might as well just get a good used PI unit for $300-$400 less and dig it all.

Both. Dug an 8 oz lead sinker that was a solid -6. Been using a CTX for years. Just know that the CTX would hit on these targets as non ferrous with no problem at the same depth. Equinox you never really know in salt water or wet sand where i hunt. Not the only one here who figured it out since about half the beach detectors here now are Equinox.
NOX is definately not a CTX. :no:

Ha...I thought the same thing. Might as well just get a good used PI unit for $300-$400 less and dig it all.
YUUUP!!

Attachments

• f3e.jpeg
    f3e.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 300
Back
Top Bottom