Quick Equinox VDI's

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
Hola,
I just ordered Clives book so I'll definitely get to know the machine better soon but it's going to be a bit before it comes in and I plan on going on my first hunt with the new girl tomorrow and just want a quick coin VDI run down for the Equinox, mainly the silvers. I've watched several videos, etc. So I basically I think 13s are nickels or pulltabs, 25 is clad dimes and copper pennies and 30s are clad quarterso I think but if someone could just do a quick run down on them, you don't have to be super in depth, just the popular stuff, I'll end up learning as I go too plus learn from clive, just wouldn't hurt to be a bit prepared :grin:

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
I think it will depend on your local soil and conditions, but in m area, my observation on VDI is that nickels come in at about 12 - bouncing between 11/12 or 12/13. I've not dug a solid 13 that was a nickel - almost always a 13 is a pulled-off pop tab. Zinc pennies are 19 to 21, depending on how corroded they are. Copper pennies are around 24, clad dimes around 25. Aluminum screw-tops from soft drinks are around 25, too. I get clad quarters at 28/29. They don't hit 30 for me here.

Heres a chart i found

Attachments

• EQUINOXVDI.jpg.bdc0d59af1aa4737709ac49ebb256ec3.jpg
    EQUINOXVDI.jpg.bdc0d59af1aa4737709ac49ebb256ec3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 3,632
I doubt the chart will help much. The Nox just isn't that accurate on TID--lot's of bouncing, at least in my experience, and really just shows you the ballpark.

Yeah they do tend to bounce around. I just set 23 and above as my silver range.

In my soil deep nickels will hit at 11, while the more shallow ones hit 12. War nickels at 13.

This vid shows some air test ID's on US coins as well as some jewelry, relics and common junk:

Back
Top Bottom