whats good under $400

kompa

my brother wants to get another md. ive been helping him research and we have a list.

first off his needs...
we mostly hunt parks and beaches in california.
we search for coins and jewelry mainly.

second what we are looking for in this purchase...
ground balance, hopefully works good for beaches
visual display
preferably new or like new
best vaule for price

hopefully this is enough for you guys to give an opinion.
to keep this efficient, lets stick to the ones on the list and/or under 400$ units only.... thanks in advace!! if you could put ur list in order of top to less desired that would help too, :D
(not listed in any particular order)

fisher f44
whites treasurepro
teknetics gamma 6000
teknetics liberator
teknetics omega
minelab 505
bounty hunter land ranger pro

The Treasure Pro is a great machine for the price and has some great features. I let mine go when I traded for my new machine that I love but I wish I had just paid the cash difference instead of trading it. I have made a lot of good finds with Treasure Pro machines. Hard to beat for the money !!!!

Teknetics Patriot.

$399.

• Detects coins to 12 inches
• 13 kHz frequency – good for coin shooting, relic hunting and gold prospecting
• Frequency shift for eliminating electrical interference
• Visual Target-ID by category and 0-99 numerical indication
• Target-ID confidence bar
• Continuous ground mineral concentration readout
• Push-button static pinpoint
• Speed selection – normal for most conditions, slow for deep coins in non-trashy areas
• 11-inch waterproof DD searchcoil
• 40 hours of battery life (4 AA batteries)

Also ground balances down to salt.

It will find coins and jewelry like it is a religion to this thing.
All kinds of great coils fit it, the 11"DD is an all around that can deal with most situations and even heavy trash in a pinch...if you know how to set it right.

I have used an F70 for 4 years, the old version of the exact same model.
Much more treasure in my collection now because of this thing and what it can do.

I also cleaned up with an F2 so Fishers are my go-to brand and except for probably the salt water beach thing not being real great, I would expect the F44 would fit the bill.

Teknetics Patriot.

$399.

• Detects coins to 12 inches
• 13 kHz frequency – good for coin shooting, relic hunting and gold prospecting
• Frequency shift for eliminating electrical interference
• Visual Target-ID by category and 0-99 numerical indication
• Target-ID confidence bar
• Continuous ground mineral concentration readout
• Push-button static pinpoint
• Speed selection – normal for most conditions, slow for deep coins in non-trashy areas
• 11-inch waterproof DD searchcoil
• 40 hours of battery life (4 AA batteries)

Also ground balances down to salt.

It will find coins and jewelry like it is a religion to this thing.
All kinds of great coils fit it, the 11"DD is an all around that can deal with most situations and even heavy trash in a pinch...if you know how to set it right.

I have used an F70 for 4 years, the old version of the exact same model.
Much more treasure in my collection now because of this thing and what it can do.

I also cleaned up with an F2 so Fishers are my go-to brand and except for probably the salt water beach thing not being real great, I would expect the F44 would fit the bill.

X2- Good luck. HH -Aaron

Seems like the patriot tops the list followed by the whites. Thanks for your input. Waiting for a couple more replies so we can order in a week or so. Any dealers got prices on these?

I'd have to put in a vote for the Patriot here as well. The F70 is a proven performer and for the money would be hard to beat. The Treasurepro is a solid machine as always from Whites though.

I'd just go ahead and bump the foreign built Minelab off there since you have a solid list of American made machines on there...:D

Regardless which choice your brother makes, GL&HH!!

The Patriot is a good choice but my #1 pick would be to get a version 5 or 6 Omega. I think this is a much underrated machine. The classic T-2 would also be a good choice. Don't let anyone sell the Minelab 505 short. It do is an excellent machine.

The Patriot is a good choice but my #1 pick would be to get a version 5 or 6 Omega. I think this is a much underrated machine. The classic T-2 would also be a good choice. Don't let anyone sell the Minelab 505 short. It do is an excellent machine.

Just to be clear, I'm sure the 505 is a very capable machine and haven't heard anything to the contrary. Didn't say or imply otherwise. It just doesn't make sense to support a foreign company who prefers false advertising, hyperbole and general loudmouthery to beat out competition when he has a solid list of American made products there from companies who just build quality machines and rely on that and their long time good reputation to sell their brand.

Just wanted to clear up any confusion as to my earlier post. :aok:

Aw !!!!! Now we just started a whole new Equinox mega-forum! lol

Just to be clear, I'm sure the 505 is a very capable machine and haven't heard anything to the contrary. Didn't say or imply otherwise. It just doesn't make sense to support a foreign company who prefers false advertising, hyperbole and general loudmouthery to beat out competition when he has a solid list of American made products there from companies who just build quality machines and rely on that and their long time good reputation to sell their brand.

Just wanted to clear up any confusion as to my earlier post. :aok:

I am in no way trying to diminish the performance abilities of any machine but seems like your leaning toward the Patriot/F70 or the Treasure Pro and since I have owned both I will give you my honest evaluation realizing that others may disagree. I had an F70 for a short time (sent it back because I didn't like it but probably didn't give it a full fair shake) and I have owned Whites Treasure Pro's. I have also owned other Fisher and Whites machines with the CZ-5 and the MXT or DFX being my favorites from each. I would personally choose the Treasure Pro over the Patriot for the following reasons:

1. Stability - I found the F70 to be very noisy and unstable compared to the Treasure Pro.

2. Auto Ground Tracking - Great feature on the TP that keeps your machine working at it's optimum performance in changing conditions

3. Backlight - very useful in low light conditions

4. Reliable VDI - Whites machines are know for their accuracy and discrimination ablility and the TP is no exception

5. Performance - probably will get some varying opinions here but in my soil and testing the TP was better than the F70 with more precise tone and ID. The TP is a lot deeper than most people think and performs nicely as a coinshooter which is what I do.

6. The Treasure Pro has a beach mode although single frequency machines do not perform that great in wet sand conditions.

7. Customer Service - Whites will stand behind their products and has a great customer service department.

Again, I am not knocking the F70/Patriot just giving my opinion. I know that in the right hands either machine will perform very well. Some folks do better with different machines and even though I have owned several Fisher and a couple of Teknetics machines, with the exception of the CZ-5, I just do not like them as well as Whites machines.

Good luck with whatever you choose and Happy Hunting.

Teknetics Liberator $299 shipped with my code A1466

google around Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro for the most details/history on this detector.

Patriot or Liberator..for what you are doing...thats exactly what I do as well..Beach/Inland coins/Jewelry... been running the F70 for years, 11"dd coil, 'Tall Mans' lower rod, Delta Pitch tones... I can flat sweep a beach towel line cutting a 12' arc in one gosh darn hurry!! ...Slings off finds and pays for itself over and over and over...I cant be without my F70 (Patriot) for this kind of work!...

I've not compared it to the others you mention, I just know what its done for me...

Patriot, F70, and treasure pro are all great. IMO you are splitting hairs. It's like a debate between Camaros and Mustangs. Now contemplate a nice multi-frequency machine like the NOX or CTX and thats like bringing a Ferrari to race against the mustang and Camaro. Bwhahahahha.

The only real suggestion here is to make sure you contact a forum sponsors to get the best possible price. Heck, half the time they have leads on preowned machines that may even save you more money. To get the list of sponsors, look at the upper right hand corner of the screen and click on the link "List all Sponsors".

Using the Teknetccs Gamma 6000 my self with the Cors Fortune 9.5″ x 5.5” DD coil and loving it, going to pick up the Cors Scout 12.5″ x 8.5″ DD coil when I get my money right. The 6000 is light and easy to use and you can use it in wet sand but you have to manual ground balance it the rest of the time you can use the auto ground grab. What I like about the 6000 other than the price is the large easy to read display even in bright sun light which is good for my old eyes. Over all a very solid detector;)

Back
Top Bottom