Equinox RANT

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Folks, I am getting TIRED of people that praise the STIPID Equinox up, down and backwards.

IT is NOT the machine.

If you go to dinner at someones home and they make a fabulous meal do you tell them, your pots and pans must be fantastic?

A photographer waits and waits to get the perfect photo. Makes all the adjustments to focus perfectly. Do you say, Great picture, you must have a wonderful camera?

no No NO

The machine does what it is supposed to do. MOST machined do. They give you a signal over a target. Some good, some bad.

A detectorist gets his coil over a zincoln penny signal and it turns out to be a big hunk of gold. Do you praise the machine or the person deciding to dig it?

SO MANY want to praise the machine. BALONEY. It is the USER that needs praise.

I have an Equinox. IT WORKS. I admit it has a fast recovery speed. But I am also a seasoned detectorist. I can pull silver and gold out of iron with no problems BECAUSE I know my machines.

The folks that are on here with their STUPID comments, Another Equinox success story and you have a great machine. HOG WASH.

Give praise where it is due. Praise the USER that digs the signal, nothing else.

END OF RANT.

PS. Since it will be ignored by the folks trying to CRAM EQUINOXES down everyone's throat, because all your other machines are obsolete and need to go to the landfill. I won't be making another comment on the subject.

Just KUDOS to those that dig signals they normally wouldn't and get a very nice find. A gold ring or a half dime or something else fantastic.

(PS) This post was meant for ALL the folks that like to cram the machine down our throats. I did not intend to pick on just one but that might look to be the case. I assure everyone there is more than one person that wants to be a tester for metal detector manufacturers.

Last edited:
I have an Equinox. IT WORKS. I admit it has a fast recovery speed. But I am also a seasoned detectorist. I can pull silver and gold out of iron with no problems BECAUSE I know my machines.
Couldn't agree more. I've taken my other detectors, including my 15 year old DFX and cleaned my sites pretty well. I have the 800 and it is a good detector, but it has yet to really bring any of my old sites back to life.

One thing that has always made me laugh is we have a site that was an old carnival grounds from the late 1800's-1920's. Years ago we took our DFX's out there and cleaned up finding many coins deep as the DFX could get. Since then I figured surly modern technology has got good enough to beat out that old DFX and find a few missed goodies. We've hunted the same site with everything from the CTX 3030, Deus, Omega 8000, Fisher F75 LTD, AT Pro, AT MAX, Racer, Racer 2, Impact and many more and not one single missed keepers has been found.

Heck, even to this day I firmly believe the old Whites DFX is the best tot lot detector out there. But then I got a few years experience on that DFX LOL.

The best non pi machine I've ever had was a cz21 with 8" coil. Deep, simple, no video game noises. Regret letting it go

Folks, I am getting TIRED of people that praise the STIPID Equinox up, down and backwards.

IT is NOT the machine.

If you go to dinner at someones home and they make a fabulous meal do you tell them, your pots and pans must be fantastic?

A photographer waits and waits to get the perfect photo. Makes all the adjustments to focus perfectly. Do you say, Great picture, you must have a wonderful camera?

no No NO

The machine does what it is supposed to do. MOST machined do. They give you a signal over a target. Some good, some bad.

A detectorist gets his coil over a zincoln penny signal and it turns out to be a big hunk of gold. Do you praise the machine or the person deciding to dig it?

The folks that are on here with their STUPID comments, Another Equinox success story and you have a great machine. HOG WASH.

Give praise where it is due. Praise the USER that digs the signal, nothing else.

END OF RANT.

PS. Since it will be ignored by the folks trying to CRAM EQUINOXES down everyone's throat, because all your other machines are obsolete and need to go to the landfill. I won't be making another comment on the subject.

Just KUDOS to those that dig signals they normally wouldn't and get a very nice find. A gold ring or a half dime or something else fantastic.

(PS) This post was meant for ALL the folks that like to cram the machine down our throats. I did not intend to pick on just one but that might look to be the case. I assure everyone there is more than one person that wants to be a tester for metal detector manufacturers.

I admit I would enthralled with getting one off the get go but I have since changed my tune. It is getting your settings down, knowing you machine, and getting tips from fellow hunters that help you find the treasure.

You are exactly right Scuba !!! Thanks for this post. The Equinox like any other detector has some really good points and some that are not outstanding. I have had a lot of different machines and if I could swing it, I would still be using an Etrac for coinshooting on land which is what I do 99% of the time. I have a lighter machine now that is very deep and has a fast response time that is not the Nox and very happy. Some folks just need to get off the bandwagon and back to reality. Site location, knowing the machine you are using and detecting skills are the most important factors to good finds !!!!

I agree with your post from the other side of the spectrum.
I am really new, have a whites classic ID and just got an EQ600 this year. I havent put much time into either machine but i can tell you i havent found !!!! with my equinox! Its not the machine its the fact that im a noob!

Sorry, but i disagree.
A bit of luck in getting your coil over a good target, user skill level to know how to interpret what a detector is telling you, etc yes this counts.
But not all machines are equal, and some by a big margin !

IT is NOT the machine.

no No NO

END OF RANT.

Sorry, but i disagree.
A bit of luck in getting your coil over a good target, user skill level to know how to interpret what a detector is telling you, etc yes this counts.

You are right that not all machines are created equal and I don't believe that anyone is trying to compare a entry level machine to an intermediate or high end machine but no matter what machine you are using, if it ain't there you can't find it !!! Most intermediate or high end machines are very capable if in the right hands.

Law Of Reciprocity

Metal detector "A" will find 90%what metal detector "B" found, and metal detector "B" can find 90% of what metal detector "A" found. The 10% difference = extrinsic/intrinsic affects & variations ie - frequency, coil type/size, mineralization in soil, EMI just to name some. There are many.

So, depending on a units design, most detectors will find most of the same targets.....well about least 90% of them.

There has never been a metal detector available to detect 100% of the targets. The closest in my observation, has been a pulse induction metal detector, however, it has many negatives using it. (so far)

Sorry, but i disagree.

You are right. NOT all machines are created equal and I never said that. The main difference is depth. A few machines go deeper than an Equinox, depending on target size and composition. Not all are Minelabs either.

I am saying IF you get a beep no matter what machine, you have to decide to dig it and get junk or a good target.

Some machines show good targets as very faint when deep, others show them broken or scratchy, some experienced users can hear a faint change in threshold. It is the users experience and knowledge, not the machine that gives you the biggest advantage.

I have said on another forum that I have gone over a site with the Nox pretty well and then gone over the same site again with the Nox and found things I missed the first time. Therefor....the Nox is better than the Nox. :?:

Law Of Reciprocity

Metal detector "A" will find 90%what metal detector "B" found, and metal detector "B" can find 90% of what metal detector "A" found. The 10% difference = extrinsic/intrinsic affects & variations ie - frequency, coil type/size, mineralization in soil, EMI just to name some. There are many.

So, depending on a units design, most detectors will find most of the same targets.....well about least 90% of them.

There has never been a metal detector available to detect 100% of the targets. The closest in my observation, has been a pulse induction metal detector, however, it has many negatives using it. (so far)

Give or take a few percentage points,...site depending,...I say this is pretty well put.

I have said on another forum that I have gone over a site with the Nox pretty well and then gone over the same site again with the Nox and found things I missed the first time. Therefor....the Nox is better than the Nox. :?:

100% correct.
This is overlooked so often, regardless of what machine is used.

I think it's mainly because of confirmation bias.

:lol: pretty much this.

The machine is not magic. It beeps over metal just like all of the others. Its lightweight and inexpensive...but its target ID is nearly useless.

Yes, now chains and odd small pendants/Earrings are the exception in my opinion. I got some very big and expensive gold chains some of my top machines won't see no matter what you do. Then I have my 15 year old DFX that hits them like a rock. As does the AT Pro and Deus. I might add the NOX 800 is no slouch either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom