• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cross post question about the GP Pointer Chinese Knock off

vespaboy

I've seen some pretty decent reviews of this Chinese knock off of the the Garrett Carrot!
I saw one on eBay at a reasonable price, so I ordered it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GP-POINTER-...4AAOSwEH9ZaLPY

Any thoughts?
I'm new at the hobby so I'm starting inexpensively but hoping to get better with time....
Have I thrown away the money or is it a good starting point to add to my Ace250?

Iv'e never tried one but for under $30 it's worth a shot, and if you used paypal you should be covered in case it's not working right. Good luck with it!

I LOVE my Carrot....but I was fortunate enough to be able to afford the "real" thing. I've heard mixed reviews on the knockoffs. The main problem I've read about is quality control. It's hit or miss on whether or not they work well. One person could get one that's wonderful, the very next person has it falling apart in his hands.

I hope that yours works well....please keep us updated

Sometimes a 30 dollar gamble pays off nicely. Sometimes the dealer turns over blackjack. Let us know how it turns out!

I gave my son in law one as a gift. Air tested it first. The one I bought worked really well. It got about 70% of the depth of a higher dollar vlf pointer and about double what the cen-tech harbor freight pointer got. I only air tested so I can't comment on field performance. Seems like a decent pointer for the money. As long as you get a decently built one.

Let us know how you get along with yours.

If it works even slightly better than the centech, it would be a decent purchase.

I would have to watch the "quality" control as well.

I bought one a while back and for the price it works decently. You can supertune it for more depth as well. I ended up giving it to my girlfriend's 6 year old son to use with his Compadre. I forgot both my TRX and carrot at home the other day and was forced to use the GP Pointer when I went to my girlfriend's house. It worked fine for locating the objects I was digging. I much prefer the TRX over everything though!

I did the usual get the cheapest option tool, realize there is something better, buy something better, repeat.

I got the centec first. Started falling on me and stepped to the GP pointer. It has worked great so far. Now I am going to step up to a “big boy” pointer and use the other as backup. For under $30 take the gamble.

Got my fake Carrot!

Well it got here today, and we head to the beach for a week Monday!

I'll report my findings.

Attachments

• IMG_6621.jpg
    IMG_6621.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0613x.jpg
    IMG_0613x.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_0806x.jpg
    IMG_0806x.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 645
You all really should NOT be buying these chinese knockoffs. I understand we all want to save money but they are literally stealing designs from US manufacturers.

How would you feel if you owned a company that produced a product, only to have the chinese make a cheap knockoff and sell on ebay?

Don't do it. Pay for quality and support US businesses.

Don't do it. Pay for quality and support US businesses.

Looks like your President isn't of the same mindset, he just ordered the commerce department to bail out ZTE, the giant Chinese phone manufacturer.

Well the beach trip was a BLAST! Sadly didn't find anything besides cans and bottle tops.
But the GP Pointer was a useful tool in doing so.
Great accuracy at depth in the dry beach sand. Helped pinpoint the caps! ;)
Easy to use and glad I got it.

Well the beach trip was a BLAST! Sadly didn't find anything besides cans and bottle tops.
But the GP Pointer was a useful tool in doing so.
Great accuracy at depth in the dry beach sand. Helped pinpoint the caps! ;)
Easy to use and glad I got it.
That’s interesting to hear. Thanks for the update :)

I just got one too

Mine just had its first outing, in a park. It came in a plain box, but carried the GP sticker, ID, and instructions. I was unimpressed with my tabletop air tests (among other things, my sample seems much more sensitive on the sides than on the tip), but in the real world it really came through. It made recovery so much faster and easier, I couldn't believe it. It also made popping coins a snap, so I did much less damage to the turf. And, I even cleaned up more trash, because I would try to pop those pulltab signals when before I didn't because of the time factor.

Back
Top Bottom