Michiganders

Collin1776

Hey guys I’m located in Wayne County Michigan and would love some company out on a hunt, as well as someone who has been doing this longer than I! I’m in Livonia and would be willing to drive a half hour out of my way or so, so if you are interested please message me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you water or land hunting? I keep my boat at Harrison Township's Jewel Island Marina. My phone number is on my business card on my website, if you are a water hunter.

Are you water or land hunting? I keep my boat at Harrison Township's Jewel Island Marina. My phone number is on my business card on my website, if you are a water hunter.

Land but wow that sounds fun. What kind of boat do you have?

I'm in Shelby Township and would love to go hunting with some fellow detectorist(s). I can't say I've got a lot of experience though, only been detecting about a year now and with 5 and 8 yr old active boys, I don't have a lot of free time. I do get every other Friday off work, so those are good days for me to go.

ScubaDectector, I work love to go water detecting with you someday. Haven't done any water detecting yet, but I plan to.

I'm in Shelby Township and would love to go hunting with some fellow detectorist(s). I can't say I've got a lot of experience though, only been detecting about a year now and with 5 and 8 yr old active boys, I don't have a lot of free time. I do get every other Friday off work, so those are good days for me to go.

ScubaDectector, I work love to go water detecting with you someday. Haven't done any water detecting yet, but I plan to.

Shoot me a message man I’d love to make some plans with you

I have hunted in the great, beautiful black dirt in Michigan, also in the fantastic soil in Kansas and Missouri but now I deal with the mineralized conditions in the SE. plus we have all kinds of other major mind boggling and frustrating issues around here.
Seriously, all you Michiganders should be thankful for where you hunt.
I sure would be because I have seen the other side.
I miss the Coney's, fresh off the tree apples, real grass to lay in on a beautiful summer day and especially that dirt.

I have hunted in the great, beautiful black dirt in Michigan, also in the fantastic soil in Kansas and Missouri but now I deal with the mineralized conditions in the SE. plus we have all kinds of other major mind boggling and frustrating issues around here.

Seriously, all you Michiganders should be thankful for where you hunt.

I sure would be because I have seen the other side.

I miss the Coney's, fresh off the tree apples, real grass to lay in on a beautiful summer day and especially that dirt.

Do you mean SE Michigan or United States?

I worked up in Marquette for awhile, Taconite processing plant. While I worked all over and out of the US, that area of Michigan was one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

ANYBODY in Michigan can look me up. Going out is no problem at all. I have boat, scoops, and detectors. There are a few places I only dive at but on lake St. Clair it is wading or diving.

If you have a spouse and she can play in the water with the boys, no problem in bringing the family. I would have to see if I have life jackets for them though.

ANYBODY in Michigan can look me up. Going out is no problem at all. I have boat, scoops, and detectors. There are a few places I only dive at but on lake St. Clair it is wading or diving.

If you have a spouse and she can play in the water with the boys, no problem in bringing the family. I would have to see if I have life jackets for them though.

I’m gonna have to take you up on your offer one of these 95 degree days

PM me
Join MMD on Facebook. Great group of detectirist

Do you mean SE Michigan or United States?

Ha!
SE. USA....specifically Birmingham Alabama, although I spent a lot of my growing up years in Oak Park which is near Birmingham Michigan.
We have that red dirt clay all around here, all the components to make iron and steel occur naturally in our dirt which is why the steel and iron industry became so huge here and dominated all industries since the 1800's.
As such we have naturally occurring iron in all our dirt, the black stuff and the red stuff from microscopic to huge.
Most public sites had homes and neighborhoods built on them in the old days so hunting areas even in what looks like clean parks is actually more like hunting extreme trash and iron infested old home sites.
The depth I could get to in good dirt has been cut in half or more here, luckily the density of the dirt prevents targets from sinking real far past 4-7" but there are some real old sites we have hunted that we know have been manipulated and had a few inches of dirt added and should hold some great older targets but we can't reach them with anything but a PI unit which is frustratingly maddening.
I started my career hunting here and until I hunted in Michigan on vacation the first time I had no idea how bad this soil really is...wish I never found out.
I moved to Kansas for 3 years and thanked the MD gods from the first hole I dug to the last for the quality soil...when we decided to move back to Alabama I knew what was waiting for me and I almost cried.

I know our neighbors in Tennessee, Georgia and all around us have difficulties too but because of our history and geographic location we have all of that plus more.
Much more.
It is hard to explain to people exactly what we are up against here, a few have scoffed and thought we were crazy because they also live and hunt here in the SE. and thought our dirt was all the same and hunting in our area just had to be similar to where they live.
Then they came here and tried it and went away shaking their heads.
We still find great treasure here but most is not real deep and mostly everything is masked if not just a little to majororly severe if it is past 2-3" deep.
Everything we do here is to try to find a setting, technique, detector or coil that will help us cut through this mess and notice targets deeper, easier and better.
I have been pretty successful the last few years using my F70 here but I had to learn a whole new, strange outside the box language to do it and I got pretty good at and learned to hunt well mostly in all metal.
I can't count the amount of great things I have found in public hard hunted sites that had been missed for decades by countless others including myself that were only 4" but masked to the extreme.
Most targets past 2-3" in the bad stuff acts really weird which is why we all missed them, luckily in the past few years I have worked hard to increase my knowledge of weird behavior and signals and it has paid off.

Since a picture is worth 1000 words a movie might be worth even more so here is a vid a hunting partner made recently in one of our local parks we hunt.
Sure it looks like normal black dirt that came out of this hole but don't be deceived...it isn't.
This is a flat silver quarter at the bottom of an open 6.5" hole covered up by maybe an inch of our devil dirt.
He tries his AT Max on it and a brand new Eqinox 800 that we had high hopes for.
He tried a bunch of other settings not on camera, too.
That 800 might still work here, we just have to find the best way to set it up and I might get one just to try.
Watch it and read the comments especially from that second guy in Georgia that can hit 8" dimes in his red clay.
Most times that is just a dream for us.
Then you will understand why I tell all that hunt in good, normal soil, (like in Michigan), to thank their lucky stars and really appreciate that they have that opportunity.
You are truly blessed...not all of us are that lucky.

Last edited:

That would be really awesome, just need to find some time! I've got an Equinox 600 and a scoop so I'm pretty well geared up for water detecting, just need to get to some water!

Good on you for that sort of offer. Well done Sir! :good:

If you're over on the west side, let me know. I've got my scuba gear now (still need tanks and weights) but I'm always up for some digging! Maybe get Rat and Mud out too!

If you're over on the west side, let me know. I've got my scuba gear now (still need tanks and weights) but I'm always up for some digging! Maybe get Rat and Mud out too!

I will. Planning a few road trips this year. I have 14 tanks so that isn't a problem. Don't need weight. All the gold we will find will weigh you down!

(Don't we wish!)

I would like to join you sometime MD in the water at lake St Clair when weather permits. I have only land detected so far but detecting the water is something I would like to try. I'm close to Fenton, about an hour west. It's probably going to be a month or two before tempetures are consistently above freezing. When do you think you will be detecting again?

Back
Top Bottom