2 whatsits today

BaldAssCat

Elite Member
I have 2 things I haven't been able to ID. Nothing particularly great, just interesting enough that I'm curious as to what they are.

WIN_20180518_15_30_24_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20180518_15_29_55_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20180518_15_29_23_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20180518_15_29_08_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20180518_15_28_47_Pro (2).jpg

The long one is made of copper. I found it about 50 yards into the woods in front of my house. My house was built late 40's. The road that attaches my land to near by towns was put in some time in the 20s but my woods have been used hunting and I've found IHPs and ox shoes in the area. To sum up, no idea of the possible age.

The short one is brass and I think that includes the screw. It looks to me like the only function of the screw is to hold the button it's going through to the main body of whatever it is. I found this near the cellar holes I've been digging in an area where I've found items from 1840s to 1930s, which is around when the houses were removed. It has a lot of lead pipe scrap and early electrical bits.

Any ideas?

The longer item is a tent stake rope tensioner..

Often found on Civil war sites, but used in civilian applications too...

<°)))>{

But as a fair rebuttal, I maintain they are post civil war, used by the US Military around the late 1800s. the patient date on two I have found. But in respect to the above many still maintain it is civil war era and the only thing of proof I have is the patient date, which doesn't mean it wasn't used pre patient.:yes:

But as a fair rebuttal, I maintain they are post civil war, used by the US Military around the late 1800s. the patient date on two I have found. But in respect to the above many still maintain it is civil war era and the only thing of proof I have is the patient date, which doesn't mean it wasn't used pre patient.:yes:

I read the post from @gtoast99 and I agree it's not likely civil war. Where I live there wasn't any activity regarding any war with the possible exception of being on a trail used during the King Phillip war, maybe.

The spot it was in would make an excellent tent site though. Just up from the wet ground near the stream, flat and open with a hill to the west blocking the wind. I only made a quick lunch hunt of it today but I'm going to grid it out now.:grin:

No argument here...

<°)))>{

Duggap, I have the utmost respect for you and especially your knowledge of buttons, however, I feel it is my duty to point out that you misspelled patent three times in one post.:police:
I have been very lax in my duty.

Duggap, I have the utmost respect for you and especially your knowledge of buttons, however, I feel it is my duty to point out that you misspelled patent three times in one post.:police:
I have been very lax in my duty.

I hear ya. I am so bad at spelling that I had to hire a girl to type and proof read for me all thru college. Worked great until I screwed up and married her. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom