Feds don't own all areas that ban us??

I only hunt land too...but I'm looking forward to beach and water hunting this summer....especially at a virgin resort (I know it's virgin because it's been in the family for a long time, and was a resort for many, many years before then)

That could be very interesting to hunt.

It's kind of like being the first coil on an old and small private property.

Keep us posted!! :yes:

I was asked to leave by campus police.....

thanx for answering that question. I do not construe isolated "scrams" to constitute necessarily being "law" or "rule". Oh sure, give lip service at that time . But otherwise, sometimes it can be just a fluke, and you avoid that singular individual. If you try to go above him, and get it "clarified", is when you might be swatting hornet's nests.

Let me give you an example. I was hunting with a retired cop once myself, in a park in San Francisco , CA (where there is no *specific* rule that says "no md'ing".) We got a scram from a cop. My cop friend tried to dispute him, but to no avail. I'm sure the passing cop was basing it on verbiage about "alter/deface" or "harvest/remove" or whatever.

We gave up and just called it a day. But that was 15-ish yrs. ago. And to this day, you can still go there and detect that exact park, as in all others there, and rarely find anyone to say "boo".

So as you can see, not any "scram" constitutes a "rule". If I don't see it specifically written in there, then I will write those occasions off to flukes.

Getting a "Scram" or two is just a part of Life as a Human...Especially for people that like to be outdoors, its not only Detectorists...Heck, door to door salesmen, paper boys, ginseng hunters, dumpster divers, Freegans, Hippies, bums, Louis and Clark, just about any intrepid outdoor soul worthy of an adventure is gonna get a scram...

Keep a rollodex of excuses and explanations handy in your mind ready to deploy as your reason for being there...assess the situation of the "Scrammer" and chose wisely...Its all about appearances and timing! For instance: If you are trying to steal a free Christmas tree off a guys tree farm, when confronted, dont be such a dummy and engage in a dialog saying you are looking for your 'lost dog', especially with a bowsaw in hand...this is the time to act like a complete booboo and simply run away!

"Scrams" should be considered learning opportunities, why did you get it? What did you do wrong? Build upon the evidence to minimize the scrams and open up your geographical opportunities!!

Do not EVER argue Riparian rights with a woman! Do not ever argue semantics with a guy with a gun and a badge! Its all about timing! Slip into a place unnoticed, get what you want and slip out of there unseen!...Think like a Bigfoot! Sure they are running around all over the place, but has anybody ever seen one or filmed Him? No!

When you go completely invisible as I have, the World is your oyster! You will have to wear a name tag at a Family reunion! You couldnt win a door prize at a Tupperware party! You wont get a greeting from a Wafflehouse Waitress! But, you can just about go anywhere and do as you please! Think 'Bigfoot' or 'Willow the Wisp'...'Fart through a Mitten' even...

You practice this skill enough, and by gosh, you could take a dump in the Whitehouse rose garden!....No doubt a Bigfoot or a Senator will get the blame!....:laughing:

Getting a "Scram" or two is just a part of Life as a Human...Especially for people that like to be outdoors, its not only Detectorists...Heck, door to door salesmen, paper boys, ginseng hunters, dumpster divers, Freegans, Hippies, bums, Louis and Clark, just about any intrepid outdoor soul worthy of an adventure is gonna get a scram...

Keep a rollodex of excuses and explanations handy in your mind ready to deploy as your reason for being there...assess the situation of the "Scrammer" and chose wisely...Its all about appearances and timing! For instance: If you are trying to steal a free Christmas tree off a guys tree farm, when confronted, dont be such a dummy and engage in a dialog saying you are looking for your 'lost dog', especially with a bowsaw in hand...this is the time to act like a complete booboo and simply run away!

Do not EVER argue Riparian rights with a woman! Do not ever argue semantics with a guy with a gun and a badge! Its all about timing! Slip into a place unnoticed, get what you want and slip out of there unseen!...Think like a Bigfoot! Sure they are running around all over the place, but has anybody ever seen one or filmed Him? No!

You practice this skill enough, and by gosh, you could take a dump in the Whitehouse rose garden!....No doubt a Bigfoot will get the blame!....:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:
I have to say Mud, I know you were sick last week, but this Forum missed your wit and wisdom.. Hope your feeling better !!

thanx for answering that question. I do not construe isolated "scrams" to constitute necessarily being "law" or "rule". Oh sure, give lip service at that time . But otherwise, sometimes it can be just a fluke, and you avoid that singular individual. If you try to go above him, and get it "clarified", is when you might be swatting hornet's nests.

Let me give you an example. I was hunting with a retired cop once myself, in a park in San Francisco , CA (where there is no *specific* rule that says "no md'ing".) We got a scram from a cop. My cop friend tried to dispute him, but to no avail. I'm sure the passing cop was basing it on verbiage about "alter/deface" or "harvest/remove" or whatever.

We gave up and just called it a day. But that was 15-ish yrs. ago. And to this day, you can still go there and detect that exact park, as in all others there, and rarely find anyone to say "boo".

So as you can see, not any "scram" constitutes a "rule". If I don't see it specifically written in there, then I will write those occasions off to flukes.

Another sad example of JUST DO IT ANYWAYS BRO DON'T LET THE MAN GET YOU DOWN!!

Why not just find one of the 40 billion other spots to metal detect? what is the fascination with triumphing over officer doofus of the campus police??? seems like you could get a lot more metal detecting done

Why not just find one of the 40 billion other spots to metal detect? what is the fascination with triumphing over officer doofus of the campus police??? seems like you could get a lot more metal detecting done

Officer Doofus and the other self appointed 'Property Protecters' are our greatest friends! They are like a temporary fence! They keep our primo hunting areas off limits to the other unskilled riff-raff rascals! Its all about Location! Not about the vast open areas..a guy needs to focus on the paydirt like a realtor!

Its just a deeper understanding of the game is all...nobody cares, as long as nobody sees...Nobody is damaging the Sport if they leave no trace and are never witnessed by another Human......See?

Officer Doofus dont care, he is punching clock at 40hrs per week, snappy uniform, benefits, air conditioned truck, has a nice pension and a loving family waiting at home...the rest of the time on site belongs to US! We are glad we have him protecting our locations during business hours...Once again, Time and Treasure waits for Nobody! False Encumbrances and barriers to success all too often reside in our own minds...

Last edited:
Officer Doofus and the other self appointed 'Property Protecters' are our greatest friends! They are like a temporary fence! They keep our primo hunting areas off limits to the other unskilled riff-raff rascals! Its all about Location! Not about the vast open areas..a guy needs to focus on the paydirt like a realtor!

Its just a deeper understanding of the game is all...nobody cares, as long as nobody sees...Nobody is damaging the Sport if they leave no trace and are never witnessed by another Human......See?

Officer Doofus dont care, he is punching clock at 40hrs per week, snappy uniform, benefits, air conditioned truck, has a nice pension and a loving family waiting at home...the rest of the time on site belongs to US! We are glad we have him protecting our locations during business hours...Once again, Time and Treasure waits for Nobody! False Encumbrances and barriers to success all too often reside in our own minds...

I completely understand what you're saying...nobody is damaging the sport if they don't get caught. Officer doofus isn't a problem until he becomes a problem...and then you've damaged the sport.

So giving this advice to the masses is really pretty sad and sort of bums me out on the way people have changed over the years.

In Southern California there are Bumper Stickers saying

"Skateboarding Is Not a Crime"

I sort of liken that to the whole Metal Detecting Phobia that goes on..

I mean come on what are we really hurting?

Another sad example of JUST DO IT ANYWAYS BRO DON'T LET THE MAN GET YOU DOWN!! .....

So in the example I gave, where we got a "scram" from a park, in a city where a) no specific rule exists, and b) yet we weren't going to win the debate with the passing cop, and c) you can detect till you're blue in the face ever since then, and it's plain to see that no one cares and d) no one ever gets scrammed since then.

You're saying that: No : We should have interpretted that this singular fluke scram as constituting law. And simply never gone again. Right ?

Then oddly, our friends can go, because they never got that scram ? How is it fair that they can go and we can't ? Isn't the fact that no one (even passing cops and gardeners) never say anything again after that, isn't that evidence that the original incident could have been a fluke ?

"Fluke" would be like some mom with her kids in the park thinks you're weird or strange or might leave a hole. So she calls the cops. The cop, who might otherwise have cared less, shows up. He's duty-bound to please miss-lookie-lou. So he scrams you. Are you saying that such a situation means it's off-limits forever more ? Does that mean for all your friends too, or only you ?

Last edited:
Another example of a fluke that happened to me : There's our largest downtown park in my city: "Central Park". It's literally been detected since as far back as the 1960s. Thousands of silver coins has come from here, and it's pretty durned stingy these days.

About12 yrs. ago, I had an out of town friend visit, who was /is known in CA circles as being a legendary turf hunter. Can sniff out deeep silver hiding in junky parks. We needed a place for the flag testing and training, so I took him to this park. He was teaching me some Explorer sound tips, etc....

A gardener drove up to us in his little maintenance cart thing, and said we can't be doing this. We engaged him in friendly chit chat, saying things like "really ? Since when ?" and "Really ? Why not ?"

He said that he was just passing along information that his boss had given him and the other staff. That supposedly someone , in another park in town, had left holes. Once we heard that, we cheerfully showed him all around us, where we'd been for well over an hour. Saying "We just dug 8 or 10 old coins from this area. And you can't even tell we were here".

He looked around and acknowledged that... yes .... it wasn't us that was leaving holes. With a bit more casual conversation, the fellow said with a wink : "When I get off work, what I don't see doesn't bother me". My friend didn't miss a beat and said "What time do you get off work". The guy says "5pm".

We looked at the time, and it was 4:45pm. So we thanked him, and he drove away. We went and sat on a park bench for 15 min. Sure enough, at 5pm, we could see him in the distance closing up his maintenance shed, getting in his city truck, and driving away.

Where upon we resumed our detecting. I had detected that park dozens of times since that occurrence 12 yrs. ago. As have others. No one's ever heard a peep again.

So are you saying that, in a case like that, we were duty bound to never detect there again ?

You're saying that: No : We should have accepted that this singular fluke scram constitutes law. And simply never gone again. Right ?

haha where did I say that? quote that part not your made up comprehension that never took place.

anyways what I really said is above in response to mud-puppy.

"I completely understand what you're saying...nobody is damaging the sport if they don't get caught. Officer doofus isn't a problem until he becomes a problem...and then you've damaged the sport.

So giving this advice to the masses is really pretty sad and sort of bums me out on the way people have changed over the years. "

actions like what you normally suggest are what get those famous signs that you always look for posted or those fences that you sometimes care about erected. why MUST you detect on that property that someone told you not to??

It just feels like your advice spawns more from your childish need to defy authority in any form it takes than to actually preserve your (and others) ability to metal detect...which like i was saying can also take place in 40 billion other spots.

So are you saying that, in a case like that, we were duty bound to never detect there again ?

No Tom in CA...you are saying this. you're making things up that you think others feel when they don't agree with you.

Your fun stories work out sometimes. However sometimes they might not so maybe just going somewhere else for a while is better advice than saying "REALLY??? SINCE WHEN?!?!?!1" when an authority figure approaches you.

I'm really impressed by your perseverance over a park maintenance man though.

I love this kind of chatter...it tends to make us think a bit about our time on this Planet and the various interactions and experiences this Sport affords ...I feel a riff coming on so allow me...

Theres this one big Mink I know, never seen him, just his tracks,...He runs a section of beach I hunt, Winter, Summer, no matter what he runs his route. He isnt supposed to be killing nesting birds or digging up turtle nests...He probably dont have a 'land use permit' either, or give one damn about riparian right access...

Back 40yrs ago he would be worth an easy $30 to me on the fur market, and I woulda set a trap for him for sure, but now, he aint worth my time to fool with...I like to see how he hunts though, not working a grid, but hitting the highpoints and following the signs for quick easy profit....

I knew this one family of beavers, they actually dammed up a waterway without a DNR permit if you can believe that! Broke all sorts of laws!...cutting down trees willy nilly, dredging, plugging up culverts,...pooping in the water, things like this...Unrepentant and unapologetic for their actions!

Then theres this one deer thats not only trespassing on my property, but eating my Wife flowers to boot!! I know I should, but I dont give one diddly durn....I knew an Otter once, dmaned guy was eating Walleyes out of season and taking the little ones under the legal length limit even!

So here am I...understanding all I want to do is hunt for pennies, what did I learn from my bold wildlife friends?? Timing! :laughing:

Mud-puppy for president

Puppy-mud, I've said it before, and I've said it again: Your creative writing wit and prose is bar none.

You must be related to Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, and Dave Barry. The way your thoughts weave keep a person riveted, imagining circumstances, laughing, etc.....

I love this kind of chatter...it tends to make us think a bit about our time on this Planet and the various interactions and experiences this Sport affords ...I feel a riff coming on so allow me...

Theres this one big Mink I know, never seen him, just his tracks,...He runs a section of beach I hunt, Winter, Summer, no matter what he runs his route. He isnt supposed to be killing nesting birds or digging up turtle nests...He probably dont have a 'land use permit' either, or give one damn about riparian right access...

Back 40yrs ago he would be worth an easy $30 to me on the fur market, and I woulda set a trap for him for sure, but now, he aint worth my time to fool with...I like to see how he hunts though, not working a grid, but hitting the highpoints and following the signs for quick easy profit....

I knew this one family of beavers, they actually dammed up a waterway without a DNR permit if you can believe that! Broke all sorts of laws!...cutting down trees willy nilly, dredging, plugging up culverts,...pooping in the water, things like this...Unrepentant and unapologetic for their actions!

Then theres this one deer thats not only trespassing on my property, but eating my Wife flowers to boot!! I know I should, but I dont give one diddly durn....I knew an Otter once, dmaned guy was eating Walleyes out of season and taking the little ones under the legal length limit even!

So here am I...understanding all I want to do is hunt for pennies, what did I learn from my bold wildlife friends?? Timing! :laughing:

interesting set of creatures you've got living around there!

The only places I know about that have creatures that sound NEARLY as interesting is at this one beach where you're not allowed to swim after 8pm. However the surfing was SO GOOD right at 8:30pm so a few friends would go ride the waves undetected each night. Little did they know 8:30 is also feeding frenzy time for the local sharks and during one of the friends late night adventures they got attacked by a huge man eater! OUCH! but they were just gunna go surf for a while and get out before the lifeguard got in the next morning and nobody would have ever known...the perfect crime! Now the entire beach is off limits to swimming for everyone at all times because of man eating sharks.

This other place I know has some of the most interesting creatures you'll ever meet! Lions...tigers...giraffes...elephants you name it and you can ride your car right into their habitat. The only rule 9:00-5:00 16 year old Timmy the tourguide used to give was don't get out of the car for pictures...Well one day a family was driving the route and witnessed a spectacular sight of 2 lions sunning themselves right next to the road! Timmy the tourguide was nowhere to be seen. SELFIE TIME!!! the family got out of their car, turned their backs to the creatures and got ready for the picture..the perfect crime! Timmy won't even know! Unfortunately the female Lion had offspring nearby and promptly mauled the mother. Now the adventure is shut down for good and the breathtaking sights are no longer seen by any.

So here am I...understanding all I want to do is hunt for pennies, what did I learn from my bold wildlife friends?? Follow the rules!

interesting set of creatures you've got living around there! Follow the rules!

Love it! You are getting me Buddy! This is one tough Planet! A guy has to understand and adhere to the unwritten Natural rules first off!

Humans are slow, weak, easy marks, very fragile, cant see at night, etc...a guy has to accept this birth defect and figure out the work around in his demographic as I have...

No, you wont be finding me in the Bullshark trough during their feeding hours, not prudent...I will be up sweeping the towel line...We aint worried about animals here, just people, those are our primary dangers...In fact, its against the Law for a wild animal to kill a Human bean in America! Those critters that do are severely and immediately dealt with! Not for another person though, thats alright depending on the situation...so its best to avoid Humans...and go out when they are not out...Or shoot the hell out of them when confronted and just go on home....You cant kill an attacking wild animal for no reason and without verifiable video, so thats good..You cant kill a mink or an otter or a beaver or a deer without a license or out of season,....kill all the Humans you want though, if they are asking for it, and you dont linger around for the interview like a hero....

Understanding these basic parameters, a guy can do quite well here and live a peaceful Life...Its not like theres mankilling lions out wandering around and stuff anymore...Theres plenty of pennies for everybody, Hacuma Matata Mutherhubbard!! :laughing: Get ya some!

Last edited:
Is it true that the BIA "Bureau of Indian Affairs" (US Govt) confiscated Elizabeth Warren's NOX 800 and threw her off the reservation for no proof of Cherokee DNA??

I mean man there ain't nothin fair today!!!!, just sayin....

If you are allowed to detect 40 billion places in the world, you must have a way to get permission that none of us know about?

Back
Top Bottom