• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Taking my detector on vacation

Logo1924

I see stories of people detecting on beaches but I never hear about people asking for permission or having trouble at the airport. After quickly perusing the web, I couldn't find much answering my questions. I am wondering if I will run into issues taking my metal detector on vacation with me. I will be somewhere on Daytona Beach. My first concern arises with bringing it on a plane. I did read on a site that I should disassemble it as much as possible and throw it in luggage with the manual so the TSA agents know what they're looking at. Has anyone had any bad experiences with taking a detector on a plane?

My other concern is the beach. I have no idea how ownership works for areas near or in the water. I will be at some beach front hotel, so I don't know if people talk to the hotel, get a state permit, or just do it. Just going out and detecting has worked well for me at local parks, the police and park workers seem to have no problem with me. I feel that this is different though since it is either privately owned or state owned.

Also I can't find much info on how my ACE 200 will work in dry sandy areas. I wouldn't expect such a low end detector to work in wet sand but if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I've read here of people md'ing on Daytona beach before. So I'm not sure why there'd be any problems. You say you've looked on the web and can't find anything about it (I'm assuming you mean specifically Daytona beach, right ?) . Well then: Consider that a good thing. Because you don't need express allowances (or express permits) to do this. (eg.: signs or laws saying "md'ing is allowed"). Instead, if there's no prohibitions, then presto, not prohibited.

As for detectors on planes, I don't see any reason why a detector is any different than any other electronic device someone would have. Eg.: computer, musical instrument, medical devices, etc... Not sure why a detector would be singled out as being any different. They're after weapons, drugs, explosives, etc.... Detectors are benign. Just put it in your stowaway luggage, take the batteries out, etc...

I've read here of people md'ing on Daytona beach before. So I'm not sure why there'd be any problems. You say you've looked on the web and can't find anything about it (I'm assuming you mean specifically Daytona beach, right ?) . Well then: Consider that a good thing. Because you don't need express allowances (or express permits) to do this. (eg.: signs or laws saying "md'ing is allowed"). Instead, if there's no prohibitions, then presto, not prohibited.

As for detectors on planes, I don't see any reason why a detector is any different than any other electronic device someone would have. Eg.: computer, musical instrument, medical devices, etc... Not sure why a detector would be singled out as being any different. They're after weapons, drugs, explosives, etc.... Detectors are benign. Just put it in your stowaway luggage, take the batteries out, etc...
What I read were just generic rules for detecting on Florida beaches. I guess I was just wondering if there were basic rules that I wasn't seeing. You are right, I guess I am just nervous about detecting in a new area and I worry about anything that I think might get me in trouble. Just more pointless worrying I guess. Thanks and sorry for making you repeat what you already told me in another thread lol

I'd pack it in checked baggage...not sure that it's necessary, but it will avoid issues with you having "clubs" (the shaft) in carry on.

However, I'd suggest packing it well....I traveled with my AT Pro in February, and on the way home, the arm cuff was broken...even though I THOUGHT I had packed it well enough. Fortunately, it's a Garrett, and they sent me a new one for free.

Bring it with, and have a great time....good luck and happy hunting

I'd pack it in checked baggage...not sure that it's necessary, but it will avoid issues with you having "clubs" (the shaft) in carry on.

However, I'd suggest packing it well....I traveled with my AT Pro in February, and on the way home, the arm cuff was broken...even though I THOUGHT I had packed it well enough. Fortunately, it's a Garrett, and they sent me a new one for free.

Bring it with, and have a great time....good luck and happy hunting
Great suggestion! I will make sure to put some sort of padding in my checked bag. Thanks

Great suggestion! I will make sure to put some sort of padding in my checked bag. Thanks

No need for extra padding...you're packing clothes, right? :)

if you can, take the control box off and put that in your carry one....that's what I would have done if I could redo it...

No need for extra padding...you're packing clothes, right? :)

if you can, take the control box off and put that in your carry one....that's what I would have done if I could redo it...
I think the control box is mounted to part of the shaft but maybe I can find a way to safely remove it. I have yet to clean my machine so I guess I'll have to do that if I pack it with my clothes lol. I will be careful with packing thanks for the heads up

I live in Fl. Google Florida statutes on metal detecting. Laws are spelled out well. Basicly it’s is legal on all beaches from the “low tide water line to the toe of the dunes” best to ask a manager in state parks, but it is legal there. So if a manager or worker is having a !!!! day, they might say no. All national parks are off limits, illegal to detect.
If anyone anywhere says anything, tell them that you are clearing the beach of trash and metal parts that could get impaled in any child’s feet. PS: have a rusty nail with you and pull it out of your pouch to show. See what they say then.

.... best to ask a manager in state parks, but it is legal there. So if a manager or worker is having a !!!! day, they might say no.......

I'm sorry, but this is making no sense. On the one hand, you say that it's legal there . You even looked it up (good job) and see that it's not prohibited. These are your words, not mine.

But then you turn around in the next breath and say to "ask a manager" . Why ? If it's not forbidden, why is there any need to ask ? :?: Would you ask if you can fly frisbees ? I don't get it.

And you even acknowledge that a manager can give an arbitrary whimsical "no" (simply because they're having a bad day). Why would you submit yourself to Russian roulette like that ? If it's not forbidden, then WHO CARES what some passerby says ?

So I don't understand your post here.

..... All national parks are off limits, illegal to detect. ....

Perhaps NPS, but not NFS or BLM.

What I read were just generic rules for detecting on Florida beaches. I guess I was just wondering if there were basic rules that I wasn't seeing. You are right, I guess I am just nervous about detecting in a new area and I worry about anything that I think might get me in trouble. Just more pointless worrying I guess. Thanks and sorry for making you repeat what you already told me in another thread lol

There are many detectorists who work Daytona beach like it is a job with overtime. 12+ hours per day and also put up videos of their hunts. They are much tougher than I am. They have the proper equipment and have a high skill level. You will just be one among many.

Back
Top Bottom