New to the hobby in Carlisle, PA.

j2mac

Hello all. I am a Soldier stationed at Carlisle Barracks. I am receiving my Garret Ace 250 tomorrow. In the meantime I have discovered this website and have been attempting to learn as much as I can by all my soon to be fellow hobbyists.

I have also taken the initiative to contact the local boroughs to find out where I may detect without issues. So far so good. The Carlisle Borough of Parks and Recreation has given me free access to their properties as long as I am responsible and cleanup. I have heard horror stories of irresponsible people ruining the hobby for others, and of local city governments punishing all for a few bad apples. I am determined not to be one of those.

I have already been practicing cutting semicircular and v plugs so as to not kill the grass and ruin the landscapes. I also sent a letter to the garrison commander seeking permission to search in specific areas on post. I wont hold my breath but he did acknowledge my request. He will probably have to run it through legal which will come back with something about the Antiquities Act as it is Federal property.

I would love to hear from those in the South Central PA area and I look forward to soon be sharing my own finds, opinions and advice. - John

Welcome from Jax Florida. From a fellow veteran a BIG Thank You for your service!

:oldguy:A hearty WELCOME & THANK YOU ..... from E. Tennessee.
I appreciate your thoughtful and responsible approach to detecting. I wish others would practice it as well as you. HH :tiphat:

Last edited:
newb

Welcome from Leb. Co. Pa., yes it is very refreshing to see that someone is interested in "our" code of ethics and practicing beforehand as to not tarnish the reputation for the hobby. And thank you very much for your service.

Welcome from Dauphin County.

I would love to hunt "the Indian Field," but I would not hold my breath. You can breathe history on that field knowing this was the field of Jim Thorpe and others Indian greats.

There is history in Carlisle. As you probably know the barracks were burned by Confederate general Jeb Stuart in the 1863 Pennsylvania invasion.

Hello,
Fellow treasure hunter and military man here......I live in Carlisle as well. If you'd like to have a detecting buddy let me know via a pm and perhaps we can find some good places
Mark

Back
Top Bottom