Married over 30 years lost original wedding band

bamadigtab

Elite Member
I went door knocking today and an elderly gentleman came to the door. Later on I found out he was 83, anyway I asked if I could detect his yard and he didn't seem to know what I was talking about and didn't really seem to want me there. I asked if he would join me at the trunk of my car so I could show him my equipment. When he saw my detectors you could see the light go off in his head.

"I lost my wedding band a year or two ago in my garden would you see if you can find it?", he asked.

Of course, I said yes!!! I knew I was in at that point. Well you guessed it I found it after about 15 minutes of hunting. The place where he was gardening was lined with cinder blocks and there was a gap between where the blocks met and it had fallen down between the blocks and over the past couple years it became covered with debris.

His wife was almost in tears they called the neighbors down the street within 15 minutes everyone in the neighborhood knew. A guy 2 doors down brought out his detector to strike up a conversation and compare his with mine. Another lady they knew from a few doors down came up to me to tell me her life story

You remember I said at the beginning, "I knew I was in" Well let me just say after I found the ring that was the end of the hunt by the time I got through visiting with everyone I hardly got to swing as all. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::laughing:

But that was OK, because after asking, I found out this was his original wedding band, he and his bride of over 30 years, was married with. The man offered me money I refused to take it. I just wanted to hunt his yard.

Out of gratitude he gave me a dollar and I was ashamed not to take it. So I will put it in a sleeve and end up giving it to the grands when I have them.

Anyway pics are below and hope you enjoyed the story.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 650
Very nice. You managed to show an elderly man that just wanted you to go away what detecting is all about.

Fantastic... and you ARE 'in'... probably anyone in the neighborhood would be inclined to let you hunt their property after hearing the story! Nicely done!

We all thank you for representing all of us as a group, in a manner that is most fitting. Great job. You are an asset to all of us.

HH

Posted by Coin nut

We all thank you for representing all of us as a group, in a manner that is most fitting. Great job. You are an asset to all of us.

Well thank you coin nut for the nice comment.

Posted by bb_in_maine

Fantastic... and you ARE 'in'... probably anyone in the neighborhood would be inclined to let you hunt their property after hearing the story! Nicely done!

Cold calls are difficult! When you go door to door asking permission you are really doing cold calls. Your are right this did warm things up a bit for me in this neighborhood.

A piece of advice for everyone be willing as difficult as it may be at times to give back to property owners because in the long run it really does pay off.

Talk about diplomacy. Ambassador bamadigtab !!! I think when we start to get to that old fella's age we begin to see the things that are truly important. I'm sure that was one of the old gentleman's most memorable days. Way to go.

Back
Top Bottom