Second dig at my first official dig

benglert2626

Didn't find anything like I did my first time, but I wasn't expecting to. I knowb I had beginners luck. Found some of iron pieces, copper fuel line, . But I did find this one little piece not sure what it's made of. Has a nice patina to it. Also has a hall mark of a crown with the letters W R or it's a letter P under it. With the word patent. Anyone know the hallmark? If this is not the right category please move to right one thanks
70fc9fdd5a559ac0843b4f72c48f546b.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

looks like the end of a spoon, fork, etc. someone here should know the hallmarks and could probably chime in it. definitely seems like a cool site.

Didn't find anything like I did my first time, but I wasn't expecting to. I knowb I had beginners luck. Found some of iron pieces, copper fuel line, . But I did find this one little piece not sure what it's made of. Has a nice patina to it. Also has a hall mark of a crown with the letters W R or it's a letter P under it. .......

The WR is William Rex. Rex is Latin for King. That doesn't necessarily date it to 1830-1837 (William IV reign). I think the hallmark was meant to ensure a specific standard of quality, and that standard was carried on after Victoria became Queen.

Wow, pretty cool thanks for the info. I can tell I'm already addicted to this hobby. AlI I can think about is the next dig. Where am I going to go. I hear mention of public parks is it legal?, How do I find out what is ok and not ok.

Where am I going to go. I hear mention of public parks is it legal?, How do I find out what is ok and not ok.

Search for and READ "Tom_in_CA" posts about why NOT to inquire about parks.
Just look up the Park Rules and if metal detecting is NOT mentioned then don't ask.

Most of us did detect our local parks without issues.

State parks vary by state but all Federal Parks seem to be no detecting at all.

Yes that is is know about federal lands. Thanks for the other Info

Search for and READ "Tom_in_CA" posts about why NOT to inquire about parks.
Just look up the Park Rules and if metal detecting is NOT mentioned then don't ask.

Most of us did detect our local parks without issues.

State parks vary by state but all Federal Parks seem to be no detecting at all.

Haha, yeah the bee in my bonnet. Doh ! :roll:

As for federal : Not all federal land is off limits. NPS, sure. But not BLM or NFS . In fact, even some express ALLOWANCES exist (beats the heck out of "silent on the subject"). And in the case of "silent on the subject" for NFS or BLM, it would then fall under ARPA boiler plate junk. Ok, fine then, you're only finding modern stuff and/or nuggets, right ? :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom