Parks/oval help

the dane

Hello people since I've upgraded my detector to the equinox in the last 12 months I've been doing beaches. But with the coronavirus not many people are visiting the beach anymore. So I decided to go to a couple of my local parks. Anyway my equinox beeping everywhere on anything and everything does that mean the ground is just full of iron clad junk,? I turned the sensitivity down to 16 I took all metal mode off I tried pak 1 and park 2. Was driving me nuts in the end I just gave up went home. Any tips thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What size coil are you using??

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

My guess based on the fact that you have run it well for a bit on the beaches would be that the park location is loaded with EMI.

Hello Dane,

I would try to just narrow your signals down to a small area and dig everything that sounds off. Before you dig, turn on the all Metal so you can hear the complete signal. If you'd like you can start with only dimes and above.

Use Park 1
Discriminate everything out under 26 and over 35. That will give you a very narrow range which would include most dimes and quarters, and should really quiet your machine
Make sure you noise cancel and also ground balance

You could also adjust your iron bias upwards, which will eliminate more of the iffy signals. That will quiet your machine, but at the same time you may be missing coins next to iron. But, it would help you ease into the site with a more quiet machine and then you can unmask more on subsequent passes. Here is a good article on it:
http://thesilverfiend.com/minelab-equinox-iron-bias-explained/

Good luck!

Did you have a cellphone with you? Switch it to airplane mode while detecting, or turn it off, or don't carry it with you. This will eliminate one source of interference. Of course you should be noise canceling and ground balancing. If it's not that, then other EMI may be the culprit. Try pushing the frequency button to switch between frequencies, and listen. You might get it to quiet down on one of the single frequencies. Adjust sensitivity to just below "chattery".

Those suggestions are for dealing with interference. The other factor in "noisiness" is the number of metal targets in the ground. Maybe your park is just way more littered than the beaches. Oaktree has some good advice. Lots of other advice for that, too. So what is going on there? EMI or trash/coins everywhere?

I have had this problem as well. I notice with my 11'' coil that if there is a power sub or transformer near me my machine goes nuts. It will also do it if my cell is too close to it. There is some really good info in this thread that I plan to try.

I did find for myself that in some areas that had massive trash that messing with Iron Bias was the ticket to not going nuts. Did I miss some me things? Probably, but don't we always?

I have a local park that I can not detect one fourth of it. Emi so bad along one side that I cant pick out a coin signal at all. Nothing I do will allow me to detect that area. You may very well have EMI problem in that park.

I would also remove your coil cover and clean any sand out. When I do beach hunting, I get a ton of sand from saltwater beaches inside the coil cover.

Hello people since I've upgraded my detector to the equinox in the last 12 months I've been doing beaches. But with the coronavirus not many people are visiting the beach anymore. So I decided to go to a couple of my local parks. Anyway my equinox beeping everywhere on anything and everything does that mean the ground is just full of iron clad junk,? I turned the sensitivity down to 16 I took all metal mode off I tried pak 1 and park 2. Was driving me nuts in the end I just gave up went home. Any tips thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The most important detail is whether it was beeping when you weren't moving the coil.

If it only beeped a lot when you moved it, and there are no highly unusual ground mineral issues or ground balance settings, then maybe you're just used to fairly clean hunting spots. Welcome to the world of trashy park dirt! I often hunt areas and entire yards where I hear a dozen beeps with every swing.

If it was beeping even when you weren't moving the coil, then that's electro-magnetic interference.

After you noise cancel, there are two different approaches to dealing with EMI. 1. Cover up the effects of it. 2. Eliminate it. The solution is usually a combination of these things depending on the property and hunting goals.

This is about the Equinox, but some general ideas are universal.

Silence the effects of EMI:

-Notch out most of it. This is OK if it's mostly very low or very high (as mentioned by oaktree)
-increase iron bias. More quick high tones get reported as iron (as mentioned by oaktree)
-Reduce recovery speed. Fewer quick hits get reported.

In all cases above, THE DETECTOR STILL "HEARS" THE EMI AND HAS TO PROCESS IT. All you've done is apply a few tricks so YOU don't hear it. Processing power is still being dedicated to the EMI and it's competing with legitimate signals.

Reduce EMI: The goal is to unburden the machine from processing EMI in the first place.

-Move away from the source (obvious)
-Try a different day or time of day
-Eliminate the source (Turn off the invisible fence!)
-Reduce detector sensitivity
-Try different single frequency modes
-Smaller coil size

Let's say I'm in a park and stuck in EMI. I'm on vacation, determined to hunt, and can't go anywhere else or come back. I'm fine not digging anything super deep, and I still want the benefits of multi frequency. What to do? Lower my sensitivity to the high teens, run a higher iron bias, notch out -9 to -3 where the EMI seems to be hitting the hardest. Maybe even switch to the smaller coil. If that works, it fits my hunting goals.

Or, let's say I'm in a fairly clean yard and I found some deep coins last time I hunted. The permission runs out today and the homeowners are gone and left the invisible fence turned on. I want to use the big coil and prioritize sensitivity. Going through the single frequency modes I discover that the EMI I'm hearing in multi frequency is actually contained entirely to the 5 kHz range and completely gone in all other modes. I can work with that! I'll hunt in 10 kHz--good for deep silver anyway--using the big coil and sensitivity up high. Nothing notched out so I can hear the deep iron tones along with the deep high tones.

In both solutions the priority was to think about hunting goals, and as much as possible not just cover up the EMI but rather eliminate it. Or some combination of the two.

Hopefully that gives you some options and ideas.

Last edited:
The most important detail is whether it was beeping when you weren't moving the coil.

If it only beeped a lot when you moved it, and there are no highly unusual ground mineral issues or ground balance settings, then maybe you're just used to fairly clean hunting spots. Welcome to the world of trashy park dirt! I often hunt areas and entire yards where I hear a dozen beeps with every swing.

If it was beeping even when you weren't moving the coil, then that's electro-magnetic interference.

After you noise cancel, there are two different approaches to dealing with EMI. 1. Cover up the effects of it. 2. Eliminate it. The solution is usually a combination of these things depending on the property and hunting goals.

This is about the Equinox, but some general ideas are universal.

Silence the effects of EMI:

-Notch out most of it. This is OK if it's mostly very low or very high (as mentioned by oaktree)
-increase iron bias. More quick high tones get reported as iron (as mentioned by oaktree)
-Reduce recovery speed. Fewer quick hits get reported.

In all cases above, THE DETECTOR STILL "HEARS" THE EMI AND HAS TO PROCESS IT. All you've done is apply a few tricks so YOU don't hear it. Processing power is still being dedicated to the EMI and it's competing with legitimate signals.

Reduce EMI:

-Move away from the source (obvious)
-Try a different day or time of day
-Eliminate the source (Turn off the invisible fence!)
-Reduce detector sensitivity
-Try different single frequency modes
-Smaller coil size

In all of these cases, the goal is to unburden the machine from processing EMI in the first place.

Let's say I'm in a park and stuck in EMI. I'm on vacation, determined to hunt, and can't go anywhere else or come back. I fine not digging anything super deep. I still want the benefits of multi frequency. So, I lower my sensitivity to the high teens, run a higher iron bias, notch out -9 to -3 where the EMI seems to be hitting the hardest. Maybe even switch to the smaller coil. If that works, it fits my hunting goals.

On the other hand, let's say I'm in a fairly clean yard and I've found some deep coins last time I hunted. For some reason there's now bad EMI on multifrequency and the permission runs out today. The homeowners are gone and left the invisible fence turned on. I want to use the big coil and prioritize sensitivity to go slow and hear deep coins. I discover that the EMI I'm hearing in multi frequency is contained entirely to the 5 kHz range and completely gone in all other modes. I'm now free to hunt in 10 kHz with the big coil and sensitivity up high. Nothing notched out. As far as the detector is concerned there is no EMI and it isn't spending any processing power on it.

Hopefully that gives you some options and ideas.

What a great post! this is helpful to us new guys for sure!

Back
Top Bottom