It still happens

kingman mikey

Elite Member
Got this in change today, 1938 S Merc in near excellent cond. OMG
022c9c1e797003bc8c9a37be86327738.jpg
9ec5bf13f72ac628342b7791c2445f85.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That looks like it was dropped on the day it came out of the mint. So your next task is to find a 1916 D merc in that shape !! :cool3:

+2

The company I used to work for had an “honor system” basket in the cafeteria at breakfast time. So, if you bought a bagel, etc, you dropped your money in it, making change as needed.

One morning I went to pay for my breakfast, and when I looked in the basket there was a Franklin half-dollar in it. Yikes! :shock:

When I dug around, there was about two dollars in pre-64 silver coinage. I got the lady that worked the cash register, and asked her if she knew who dropped that in there - and added that she probably should “buy” it out of the basket, as it was worth a good bit more than face value. I also asked if she would keep an eye out, and encourage whomever was doing it to stop. Over the next week or so, I kept seeing Mercury dimes, Standing Liberty quarters, and the like - almost every day.

Finally, I saw the cash register lady one day, and she told me she was paying attention, and noticed that an early-20s young lady was buying breakfast with these silver coins. This young lady shared that her grandfather passed away, and left her a large jar of change, which she was using to buy things...

Good news is that we got her stopped before it was all gone.

1 vote for Grandpa's collection. :pirate:

Back
Top Bottom