• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

that was a let down....

caheaton

Well, two of them actually! The first one was this past Friday I spent an hour at a local (fresh water) beach and it seems like the place must have been picked clean by others last fall...but I did manage to find a silver hoop earring, but alas it seems the thing must be plated as there are no markings on it anywhere in regards to it's silver content. (It was ringing up with VDI numbers bouncing all over, so I suspect it's silver plated copper with a stainless steel wire and steel spring; numbers bounced from iron to dime as I was passing over the target with the F2).

The next disappointment came on Sunday. There's an old mansion in town that was built in 1898 and is now public property (local admin building). I've always wanted to detect there and decided that now would be a good time (building is idle due to the virus). All that was found was a grocery sack full of trash...I suspect the soil around the building is mostly fill dirt (likely due to landscaping over the years). Trash consisted of bits of sheet metal, some flattened aluminum cans, bits of plumbing hardware, steel washers, some ubiquitous pull tabs and odd bits of large iron that rang up as zinc or dime. Not a single coin...not even a zinc cent!

After this run I hope I'm due for something good....

I was a beautiful weekend in Cincinnati I think - at least you had some good weather, got a little exercise, and have learned about 2 more potential spots (what to avoid). Maybe you learned a bit more knowledge about your detector's readings too? Always has to be a bright side!

I feel your pain. Went to a park that has been in use in one form or another since the mid 1800s. I have found a few clad coins there in the past but figured there might be something better to be found. Went there yesterday and found nothing but can slaw and aluminum screw caps off 1980s soft drink bottles. Seems that after the last flood at the park they dozed everything and backfilled it. I couldn't even scratch out a clad coin at the tot lot. Place had an old hotel up the hill from the early 1900s also, but again the accessible areas appear to have been backfilled. Oh well, all the spots can't be winners.

Back
Top Bottom