civil war token?? ** update 1880's R. Schulze good for token**

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Tonight I found this along with an 1899 Barber dime.
I can make out R. SCHUL and LACROSSE on one side and not too sure about what's written on the side with the pretzel.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 9-18-20 token rev.jpg
    9-18-20 token rev.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 9-18-20 token obv.jpg
    9-18-20 token obv.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Dang, THAT'S crusty. Not sure how to bring out any details without causing damage. Cool find.

La Crosse, Wisconsin (La Crosse County), U.S.A.
ROSE STREET BAKERY / R. SCHULZE / PROPR.
GOOD FOR / 5¢ / IN CAKES
Brass 25mm

Maybe this one? There is no photo of the token in the database though.

I found this listing on tokencatalog, probably the same one Stiffwrists was looking at:

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=247362&inventory_id=198926&td_image_id=&attribution_id=252024&record_offset=716

Like SW said, there’s no image in the database, but it says “one loaf of bread pretzel” is pictured on it...I can’t imagine many tokens have an image of that!

Edit: Mis-read the listing, it actually says “Good for/one loaf of bread” with a picture of a pretzel. But bread pretzel still sounds yummy! :lol:

After some more cleaning, I was able to reveal "good for one free loaf of bread".
More research lead me to an article about Robert Schulze, who had a bakery in the 1880's:shock:
I am convinced this is the correct merchant for the token:yes:
Ironically, there was also a Schulze Bakery at another location in Lacrosse, but not with the initial R.

Attachments

• 9-18 Schulze Bakery.JPG
    9-18 Schulze Bakery.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 177
Interesting, I cannot find a Mill Street in Lacrosse, maybe they changed the street name from Rose Street:?::mad:

Dang, THAT'S crusty. Not sure how to bring out any details without causing damage. Cool find.

GOOD FOR / 5¢ / IN CAKES
Brass 25mm

See below, it looks like Airmet Tango found the one with "good for one free loaf of bread":D

GOOD FOR / 5¢ / IN CAKES
Brass 25mm

I found this listing on tokencatalog, probably the same one Stiffwrists was looking at:

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=247362&inventory_id=198926&td_image_id=&attribution_id=252024&record_offset=716

Like SW said, there’s no image in the database, but it says “one loaf of bread pretzel” is pictured on it...I can’t imagine many tokens have an image of that!

Edit: Mis-read the listing, it actually says “Good for/one loaf of bread” with a picture of a pretzel. But bread pretzel still sounds yummy! :lol:

Thanks for the help guys! Now I have another token listed on the catalog:D

Attachments

• Good For One Free Loaf.jpg
    Good For One Free Loaf.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 207
  • R. Schulze.jpg
    R. Schulze.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys! Now I have another token listed on the catalog:D

No problem - glad to help! I love those old trade tokens. Fantastic find, and nice job on the follow up research. And congrats on another tokencatalog entry :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom