Children return long-lost ring to owner

~Alan~

Forum Supporter
A great story

Children return long-lost ring to owner

After being lost for more than two decades, a class ring from Stephen F. Austin University was returned to the original owner, a 95-year-old man, Tuesday evening after two young brothers found it buried at a local church

Full Story: Lufkin Daily News

Just plain awesome! Wouldn't it be something if those two little stinkers received a million dollar inheritance from ol' Mr. Weeks that he'd been hoarding away for the past 80 years... :lol:

Neat story. The kind you like to hear about our youngsters.
Basset

When I was about 10 I was riding my bicycle around the circle where our dog was chained out in the yard. I found a ring laying in the dirt. We figured out it was a class ring and from talking to the neighbor figured out who it belonged to. The woman was in her late 70's and lived in a state out west. We found out that her niece still lived close by and so my parents called her. Now get this...her aunt was visiting because it was Easter. They drove down to get the ring and we found out that she lost it the very day she got it many many years ago. She gave me a $10 "reward" and said that was more than she had paid for it originally!

Pretty cool story. I know where that town is, its pretty small, not too far from SFA. (The school the ring was from). Lots of old little towns, I have always wanted to swing at one of the old homes there, but never have the time to stop.

Justin

COOOL!

My best "return to" find was when I was visiting a friend of mine's old childhood home. Her parents were still in residence. Bab was in her late 20's early 30's, same age as me, and had been on her own for over 10 years at that time. She had been fascinated by my detector (a Radio Shack cheapie, but the best doggone detector for its price!) and asked if I would go over her ole back yard. It hadn't been TOUCHED. Ever.

Well, with her folks' permission, Bab and I went over that yard. Found the usual, pennies, pulltabs and other stuff. At the edge of a bed of ivy I got a strong hit and dug it. It was a beautiful sterling silver miniature salt shaker! The type you have at large family gatherings or banquets, one at each plate. I managed to dig it out without damaging it (very thin silver) and gave it to Bab "Here you are."

She looked at it in horror "Oh NO!!"

I was mystified. As Bab was trying hurriedly to put it into her purse, her mother came out "What did you girls find?" "A salt shaker," I answered before my friend could grab me. "Where?!" the mother demanded. Bab handed the tiny silver shaker to her.

"Well!" the mother said and turned sharply, thwapping Bab on the backside with a good firm swat. POW! "Didn't I TELL you NOT to take those out of the house Young Lady?!!"

"Mo-o-o-mmmmmmm!"

Bab had taken the shaker out into the garden to play when she was five years old!

We still laugh about it!

SageGrouse

Back
Top Bottom