• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

NOX - negative reviews, problems and complaints

beachclad said:
The target is an 1853 $1 gold coin. It's comprised of 90% gold and weighs 1.67 grams. It's buried 8-9" deep.
I can believe the date, the denomination and it's size, and the gold alloy content. I kind of question the buried depth.

beachclad said:
The AT Pro reads the coin with a high tone in the high 80's and 90's, suggesting it's silver. To me, that's impressive at that depth. It means that the AT Pro had a good read on it as a conductive metal, and everyone would have dug that.

The Equinox on the other hand, read it with a low VDI that fluctuated between 8-13. That to me is a weak tone with a lot of variance. In a trashy area, nearly everyone except the most hardcore "dig everything" guys would have passed on it. That reading was iffy, like a pulltab, or small piece of aluminum.
Yes, the AT Pro 'up-averaged', but I would recover it.

Yes, the Equinox produced a more accurate VDI read-out, but I would still recover it.

beachclad said:
Calabash then says that the gold coin is a "low-to-mid" conductor, and thus the Equinox was more accurate in its assessment. I disagree. A gold coin like that is more of a "mid-to-high" conductor due to its purity, the equivalent of between 22K and 24K. Not the typical "low-to-mid" 14K ring of less than 60% purity. Remember that the Equinox ID'd it into the single digits.
I am not a Calabash fan, however, in this case, I agree that the Equinox was more accurate on a $1 gold coin.

You can disagree, but based on your example you are incorrect. Almost all of the Gold Coins are comprised of the same alloy content. Just like most Silver Coins are of very similar alloy content.

All the coins are made in a similar shape, round, and of consistent thickness and weight as designed for their denomination. The only real difference between the various Gold Coins is just like the differences between the Silver Coins ... size.

The very large Silver Dollar is going to read way up-scale and produce the highest VDI response simply due to the physical size. The other Silver Coins of comparable alloy content are then going to read-out lower and lower on the VDI scale, even though of comparable alloy conductivity, simply due to their size. Travelling down the VDI read-out scale we then encounter the silver 50¢ 'Half-Dollar', then the 25¢ 'Quarter', then the 10¢ 'Dime', followed by the smaller and thinner but similar conductivity alloy mix to the 5¢ 'Half-Dime' and then to the 3¢ Silver 'Trime.'

The $20 'Double-Eagle' Gold Piece will read farther up-scale, and as we travel down the VDI read-out we come to the $10 'Eagle', then the $5 'Half-Eagle', the $3 Gold Piece, then the $2.50 'Quarter-Eagle' and finally the dinky little $1 Gold Coin. Each with their own VDI read-out and all made of virtually the same alloy mix, but the differences in their read-out is simply based on their physical size that also affects their conductivity and not just their alloy mix. All flat, round-shaped objects.

beachclad said:
To add more confusion to this discussion, forum member Numil recently dug a very pure 22K 7 gram ring with his Equinox that sounded off in the high tones, into the 30's. Like silver. Link: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=280445
I have found a lot of gold jewelry through the past several decades, but only 2 gold rings that were identified by a fellow from China who could read the inscriptions. They were rated as "pure gold" and were 22k to 24k when tested. Both were medium to larger-size women's rings, and both of them, even the squished one, had a read-out on my White's XLT as a Penny/Dime. Why so high? Simply due to their ring-shape because that shape enhanced their conductivity.

beachclad said:
So who are we to believe here on which machine was better at ID'ing coins?
I would say Calabash's reply is what I would have indicated as well knowing how small the $1 Gold Coin is.

Monte

Big picture.
You want the best USA coin IDing detector better add considerable loot and get Etrac and CTX. Oh and these don’t come with wireless headphones.

You live in area with higher mineralization find another VLF detector period that will outfox The Nox. Can it be done?? Right now.

Weight, overall weight vs performance, what else out there??

Yeah I can nit pick and find something about all detectors I don’t like.

Rather than complain about Nox sell it and get some thing else. Then complain about it. Lol

There is NO perfect VLF detector currently and likely never will be.

I look at this whole thing like this. Minelab coming our with Nox models will put pressure on remainder of industry. We already got simplex+ due to Nox. Could we see more new models because of ?? Very very likely.

I am not going to sugar coat for a manufacturer. Imo some folks have. And this is the why behind First Texas, White’s, etc coming up short in new model releasing and their models being popular and being talked about. Not singling out anyone here on this forum just my bird’s eye opinion reading and studying for the last 9 years plus - looking at most detecting forums in USA.

Never had my coil over a $1 gold coin, but I have on the 22kt $5, $10, and $20 coins. Even the giant $20 Double Eagle only rings up in the copper penny range. All of the others are considerably lower due to size. Calabash's ID seems spot on to me.

I just don't get it. It would be much more interesting to show positive things about the detector he does like than trying to prove his detector is better than some other detector. I hope no one gets the idea he is providing unbiased metal detector comparisons.

If he don't have or like a detector he never does an honest comparison.

Big picture.
You want the best USA coin IDing detector better add considerable loot and get Etrac and CTX. Oh and these don’t come with wireless headphones.

You live in area with higher mineralization find another VLF detector period that will outfox The Nox. Can it be done?? Right now.

Weight, overall weight vs performance, what else out there??

Yeah I can nit pick and find something about all detectors I don’t like.

Rather than complain about Nox sell it and get some thing else. Then complain about it. Lol

There is NO perfect VLF detector currently and likely never will be.

I look at this whole thing like this. Minelab coming our with Nox models will put pressure on remainder of industry. We already got simplex+ due to Nox. Could we see more new models because of ?? Very very likely.

I am not going to sugar coat for a manufacturer. Imo some folks have. And this is the why behind First Texas, White’s, etc coming up short in new model releasing and their models being popular and being talked about. Not singling out anyone here on this forum just my bird’s eye opinion reading and studying for the last 9 years plus - looking at most detecting forums in USA.

Dont forget the vanquish TN, it's really a hell of a machine for the price..Maybe not a equinox but it's all equinox DNA and behaves the same just without the adjustments and waterproofing

Coin size isn't the only factor of how a detector reads it and gives you an ID number.
These 2 silver coins are of similar thickness, but the coin on the right is slightly smaller than the one on the left, but the coin on right reads five digits higher on the Nox.

Attachments

• 20200222_215844_copy_600x800.jpg
    20200222_215844_copy_600x800.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 646
  • 20200222_215932_copy_600x800.jpg
    20200222_215932_copy_600x800.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 646
stilll having a long learning curve on the Nox 800?

I bought my 800 in March of 2018. Still not satisfied with my results. It seems that things were better with my AT Pro. Why? for a long while I was not sure. Was it me? Was it the 800?

I didn't think it was the 800, Minelab has some darn good engineers and some other's are getting great performance out of the 800.

Then it had to be me. But wait, I did well on the AT Pro. What gives?

Here is what gives the 800 is a completely different machine that most other detectors including other popular Minelab detectors.

A lot of us just simply know enough to correctly use the 800. This is where Clive Clynick's latest Equinox book comes into play. His third book on the equinox titled Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Series Metal Detectors answers many of these issues that are holding a lot of us back on getting the most out of the Equinox.

I highly recommend it to those who feel they have been on the long Equinox learning curve way too long.

It's a straight shaft and uses a build-in battery. Give me the Equinox in the form factor of the Vanquish (including AA battery usage) but maintains its waterproof ability and I'm sold.

It's a straight shaft and uses a build-in battery. Give me the Equinox in the form factor of the Vanquish (including AA battery usage) but maintains its waterproof ability and I'm sold.

+1 :thumbsup: I would appreciate this as well, but am getting along most of the time with the lithium ion embedded in the machine. I have gotten a lithium recharger pack that I will carry with me this year just in case I've forgotten to put the 800 on the charger. We will see how that works out strapped to the bottom of the armrest if I get in a pinch. Maybe it will balance better that way. :woot:

+1 :thumbsup: I would appreciate this as well, but am getting along most of the time with the lithium ion embedded in the machine. I have gotten a lithium recharger pack that I will carry with me this year just in case I've forgotten to put the 800 on the charger. We will see how that works out strapped to the bottom of the armrest if I get in a pinch. Maybe it will balance better that way. :woot:

I've heard of others doing that and it working out well for them.

ya well my chief concern is just that the modulation does not really let you get an accurate read on where / how big something is. Then the funny pinpoint kind of leads you around but not to the target. As well, did the F2 now only some modes have it--others just beep like it reverted back. Call em like I see em. cjc

ya well my chief concern is just that the modulation does not really let you get an accurate read on where / how big something is. Then the funny pinpoint kind of leads you around but not to the target. As well, did the F2 now only some modes have it--others just beep like it reverted back. Call em like I see em. cjc

Modulation is more for estimating depth, the width of the audio signal gives you an idea of size and it's quite good at it, it's easy to differentiate between say a large buckle to a tiny coin. I would like a bit more modulation though.
The problem with the pinpoint is that it's a quirk of one of the benefits of the Nox, namely
coins on edge. This would be my most common find on my hunted out sites as my other detectors have missed them, and nearly all of of them pinpoint off centre.

Went to an empty lot where a late 1800’s house sat. My nox was all over the place. I have only used it in Park 1 with noise cancel and i pump the coil in ground balance mode when I can find a clean spot. Usually stops around 36. Every time I swing the thing, it jumps to good tones then it wont hit again at that spot or it will change tone/vdi. I hunted for about 4 hours with only 1 wheat across the street in a curb. Do I need to try field mode in these lots? Will that settle the nox down on all the jumpy numbers and noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my 800 in March of 2018. Still not satisfied with my results. It seems that things were better with my AT Pro. Why? for a long while I was not sure. Was it me? Was it the 800?

I didn't think it was the 800, Minelab has some darn good engineers and some other's are getting great performance out of the 800.

Then it had to be me. But wait, I did well on the AT Pro. What gives?

Here is what gives the 800 is a completely different machine that most other detectors including other popular Minelab detectors.

A lot of us just simply know enough to correctly use the 800. This is where Clive Clynick's latest Equinox book comes into play. His third book on the equinox titled Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Series Metal Detectors answers many of these issues that are holding a lot of us back on getting the most out of the Equinox.

I highly recommend it to those who feel they have been on the long Equinox learning curve way too long.

But consumers shouldn't have to buy a book to make full use of a machine. In that case, the machine isn't effectively designed/prepared, whether it be from a software, hardware, instructional or marketing perspective.

The Nox is a great machine right out of the box and each pattern settings are set that way.
But it gives the more experienced detectorist the option of advanced control.
I’ve been detecting for 50 years and I do use those settings and understands what I am asking the detector to do and understand what the detector is asking me,, if that makes sense. Some here will understand the Nox and some won’t. If you want something simple go some other brand, but even with the Nox right out of the box it can outperform the other most popular brand out there.
Just work with only one advance settings at one time and learn it
If you are one that just wipes the dust of the unit now and then leave it in the factory preset.
Doug

How about just talk to other EQX users, read this forum and others.
Watch you tube videos. Some are good!!
And use your EQX!!

I’ll bet I can if I try hard enough, I can find a book that tells me how
to _ _ _ _ my _ _ _.

Maybe there are some folks who watch and are good with the Wheel of Fortune puzzles.

Back
Top Bottom