coin shortage

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Due to the coronavirus virus there seems to be a coin shortage. My grocery store put a hand written sign on the Coinstar machine. Please bring all coins to the customer service desk and we will give you cash and not charge you any fees.

So the store needs coins. Bet coinstar is not happy about developments such as this one.

Attachments

• coinstar.jpg
    coinstar.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Please do not use that term. Use the term "virus", "coronavirus" or its official name "SARS-CoV-2". We'll all know what you are talking about without the pejorative language.

The problem with that term is that American citizens of Chinese ancestry are seeing an increase of hate crimes against them due to the use of that term. A friend of mine has been a victim, even tho she had nothing to do with the virus.

I hope the moderators edit your comment.

Coinstar isn't making the big money these days. Signs like that sound like possible grounds for a lawsuit, but I don't know anything about Coinstar/Walmart contracts, so it's just a guess.
I had to enter the WallyWorld yesterday, and planned to check the CS on the way out. There was a guy putting coins in, and of course, checking the reject tray. :(

Out here by me, banks are limiting only 2 rolls of coins. This is not just to individuals but businesses. There are a lot of "No Cash" signs up, they are only taking credit and debit cards. A friend of mine owns 4 drive-thru's, he has a "coin star" change machine. He charges a little less than the other stores so he sees a lot of traffic. Anyway, he has access to change as his business needs it. He let's me sort thru it and keep whatever I find. I just have to help him roll it. Needless to say it is worth it. I am amazed how many proofs are in there, not to mention silver. I also CRH halves and last week my bank cut me off. The told me they hope to be able to start supplying again in a month or so.

Please do not use that term. Use the term "virus", "coronavirus" or its official name "SARS-CoV-2". We'll all know what you are talking about without the pejorative language.

The problem with that term is that American citizens of Chinese ancestry are seeing an increase of hate crimes against them due to the use of that term. A friend of mine has been a victim, even tho she had nothing to do with the virus.

I hope the moderators edit your comment.

Well....WE all don't know what YOUR talking about. THE KOB must not be seeing something. What term is wrong ? Coronavirus?

Well....WE all don't know what YOUR talking about. THE KOB must not be seeing something. What term is wrong ? Coronavirus?

I deleted the offending word. Thread was reported multiple times. We are just not going to tolerate this kind of stuff anymore.

None of the Coinstars in my area have signs on them. I would imagine that the Coinstar service reps would remove them if they see them. Of course the store could simply put another one up as soon as the rep leaves the store.
A few restaurants around here are trying to get people to pay for their food with a credit card rather than cash. I don't know if that's because they have a coin shortage problem or they don't feel comfortable handling "dirty" money.
On the other hand a few are offering a 4% discount if you pay in cash.

So after the deletion of a so called offending term I'm wondering if FMDing forum will continue to allow photo's of coins depicting former slave owners in the off chance someone will be offended by seeing them? Or IHP's with a White Lady Liberty wearing a Native American head dress? You see the slippery slope right?

So after the deletion of a so called offending term I'm wondering if FMDing forum will continue to allow photo's of coins depicting former slave owners in the off chance someone will be offended by seeing them? Or IHP's with a White Lady Liberty wearing a Native American head dress? You see the slippery slope right?
Where does it end?

Well since slavery has been around since the Greeks & Romans (and before) we really didn't corner the market on it. However, in the United States of America, when the Confederacy lost, slavery became illegal. Practices before that were commonly accepted until we became more enlightened as a country and fought the Civil War. So I would argue that coins and statues of historical figures before the Civil War would be "exempt" but those that that came after our "enlightenment" are not are not. That's my deciding factor.

I wonder what would make you wonder that? No, we don't see a slippery slope at all, but we will continue to delete things we feel violate our forum rules as even handedly as we have in the past.

The phrase in question is causing a rise in physical hate crimes. That is different than being "offended". If the coins in question are causing a rise in physical hate crimes, then the moderators will have to deal with that.

But, there is no evidence that that is happening. I hope everyone can see the difference. Using the phrase "slippery slope" is almost always a sign that the person using it does not understand the situation or the facts. It is a cop out phrase that basically says "nothing matters, and what it if did", to quote John Mellencamp.

And yes, having a friend who was affected makes me hyper-sensitive. There is no place for ethnically pejorative language. Comparing the offending phrase to Thomas Jefferson on a nickel makes no sense. I too am missing the "slippery slope".

Just looked in the mirror, I barely recognize the old man looking back. I still remember the young soldier, not sure where he went.

A friendly forum should always consider what others may find offensive.

Ok guys , I'm glad some are possibly being offended by some now dead slave owners who happen to be on coins. Please take all your change and go throw it on your local beaches and parks. This will help you rid your guilty conscience. For the ultimately offended , like ones who want to tear down statues , do this : All of your U.S currency you can give to THE KOB for proper disposal. Grant and Franklin's are disposed of 1st. Postage paid ! You will feel so much better once you cleanse yourself. And so will THE KOB !

I deposited over $60 in clad to my bank yesterday and they were glad to get it. Mine was just loose change I had and none from MD.

I was at Kroger's today and the clerk asked the man in front of me if he had correct change because they could not give him the correct amount of change back.

Back
Top Bottom