NOX numbers question

JOFO17

I have my NOX instruction manual in front of me. I read that nickles are a 13. My "practice nickle" also read as a 13. In the field can the soil distort this number? Should I be digging 12-14 just in case? What kind of numbers should I expect from flat buttons and other non ferrous relics? How about old coins like half dimes and 3 cent pieces etc? Im just thinking about those nice solid 19s I passed over.

Yes ID can be skewed depending. Deeper nickels and older nickels can read 11 or 12. Sometimes even 10. My experiences. Not impossible to see nickle read 14. Usually you see 14 in window junk, could be gold ring though.

Read these two stories here with great finds.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=271442

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3087421#post3087421

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/blog...ector-id-chart-numbers-quick-reference-guide/

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/5472-another-equinox-vdi-chart/

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes..... Type-1, 2 & 3 U.S. Gold Dollars ID as a 1
> 0/11 in an air-test.......and in most soils.,.,.,.
> ,.,.,.,. even tilted. "On edge"...... and ID's can
> be much lower..... to include 'no detection'.
>
> U.S. 3-Cent Nickels ID as 7-8....... under most no
> rmal conditions.

Thank you for those very interesting reads. I was hoping the nox would help me dig less trash, but after reading those articles I will just do like I used to....dig it all!

As somebody said above, sometimes the soil conditions will show older, deep Jefferson nickels as low as 11. The nox hits nickels hard from what I've seen so far.

4" air test on Park 1
war nickel at 13-14, tends towards 14
new nickel at 12-13, tends towards 13
tarnished 1947 nickel at 12-13, tends towards 12 and was 11 in the dirt

Ditto for every thing said so far.

In bad mineralization where I hunt nickels can be 11, 12 13 or 14 depending on depth, moisture levels, etc. I will usually get two or three of those four numbers. Nickels hit really hard with quite a well defined hard pop, well defined edge sound and usually a well defined small pinpoint radius depending on depth. Aluminum and some tabs will have a slightly softer edge to the signal and can pinpoint as a larger radius with a uniform hollower sound. Broken pull tabs or tabs on edge........good luck.

With the equinox here, nickels are most often 12-13 depending on soil moisture and minerals. I have dug them at 10-14 with no other metal in the hole. Since this is also prime gold recovery signals, I have no problem digging all those numbers fishing for gold. It's not a big deal that they don't ring up on only one value. I do believe that the multi-frequency signal processing is part of the reason for some of the variation in id. Sometimes it's trash, sometimes its a nickel, and sometimes it's gold.

I don't want to dig nickels. At least in the dirt anyways. On the beach yeah I just dig it if it beeps.

Very helpful. Nox 600 arrives today but still on one leg for awhile. Giving me plenty of time to read up. Great question and answers!

The more I read and the more videos I watch, the more holes I will be digging. It would appear anything over 0 is a possible target.

The more I read and the more videos I watch, the more holes I will be digging. It would appear anything over 0 is a possible target.

Know the potential of your site as far as targets. Prioritize your hunt. Either limit the area you hunt in one day or limit your digs to specific VDI ranges. It all didn't go in the ground in one day. It isn't coming out in one day.

The two V nickels I've dug with the EQ800 have both rung up identically, varying uniformly between 12-13 as I swung over each one. I dug them both on the same day, just a few feet apart! Unmistakably coin-like signal in each case - the first one I strongly suspected it was a nickel...the second one, I knew for sure :cool3:

I have a crusty Shield Nickel that I air tested, and it also rings up as a smooth 12-13 VDI.

War nickels seem to vary, not just with the Equinox, but other makes and models of detectors as well. Most seem to ring up like regular nickels (13 or so), but every now and then, one rings up in the silver range. I've only dug one War nickel in the field with the Equinox, and it rung up as a solid 20. Air testing the other War nickels I've found, they are all solid 13 on the VDI while air testing the one oddball still reads a solid 20. Perhaps it's a variation in the silver content for some of the War nickels?? The one that rings up high is a 1945P, but I have another 1945P that rings up 13, so it doesn't seem associated with a particular year or mint.

The few modern nickels I've dug with the EQ have all been pretty solid at 13, although I think I remember occasional blips down to 12 as I swung.

All that said, I'm sure your results are going to depend on a whole slew of variables: soil type and mineralization, moisture conditions, target depth, individual detector construction, etc will likely all play a role in what VDI shows up for nickels, and any other target for that matter!

War nickels seem to vary, not just with the Equinox, but other makes and models of detectors as well. Most seem to ring up like regular nickels (13 or so), but every now and then, one rings up in the silver range. I've only dug one War nickel in the field with the Equinox, and it rung up as a solid 20. Air testing the other War nickels I've found, they are all solid 13 on the VDI while air testing the one oddball still reads a solid 20. Perhaps it's a variation in the silver content for some of the War nickels?? The one that rings up high is a 1945P, but I have another 1945P that rings up 13, so it doesn't seem associated with a particular year or mint.

I didn't mention it in my post above about nickels, but there are various reports online of war nickels ringing up in the silver range. I dug one with the AT Pro and was surprised to find a nickel ('45P). It also air tests in the 20s on the Nox 800. (Don't remember the number exactly.) The other war nickels I've dug ring up like regular nickels or slightly above.

Very helpful. Nox 600 arrives today but still on one leg for awhile. Giving me plenty of time to read up. Great question and answers!

Let us know how you make out. I'm still having VID issues since the software upgrade. Dosen't matter that i went back to the old software. I'm still digging rusty nails in the 24-25 or 28-32 depending what park setting i'm on.

I just got my 600 two weeks ago and have no idea what software it has. I have found it so far to be pretty accurate up to about 6 inches. After that it is hit or miss on VDI. I have dug large iron bolts at almost a foot that rang in the high 20's. I must say I am impressed at how deep this thing finds metal. I pulled out a lead seal at well over a foot and it was smaller than a dime.

I would dig it all for several outings. You can learn a lot. A salt beach a nickel hits 14 a lot. Even quarters can hit higher than normal. I used to could tell a silver ring with the CTX hitting higher. With the Nox i keep thinking that high range quarter is going to be a silver ring. BUT NO!!!!

Back
Top Bottom