• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First time out with the NOX 600 (and it's very talkative)

Great post. My 600 comes today and these kind of posts really help before even getting it in the field!

I was a little frustrated at first. But help from the members of this forum and some time hitting the ground has changed that. I'm really liking my Nox now.

The Equinox is sensitive to small targets.

Oh my gosh! I learned that this weekend. I had a crazy time finding my target, even with the pinpointer, only to eventually find a tiny TINY washer or button, something I never dug up with my AT Pro.

Noisey 600

It's been a couple of months since I've posted anything. But that's because the ground has been covered in snow or simply frozen. A couple of weeks ago Mark and I finally got out (he's been braver than I have been). I had a great hunt for two hours with my AT Pro, finding four rings -- three junkers and one small silver.

But a reoccurring problem popped back up with my AT Pro. Wrist pain. For whatever reason I can't seem to handle that detector for very long without hurting. So after some research and penny saving I decided to buy an Equinox 600.

I just got it today. I assembled it and turned it on (outside in the cold wind) and immediately it started to hum without stopping or variation. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to stop. So I eventually did a factory reset and that seemed to fix it.

Okay, so I decided to do a short hunt in a nearby park. I intentionally went to a newer area where I knew there wasn't a lot of trash. But OH MY GOSH! The Nox 600 chattered incessantly like I was hitting the trashiest area in town.

No matter what I did I couldn't get it to stop chattering. I did a noise cancel (at least twice), tried to ground balance and eventually set that to auto, adjusted the sensitivity, and changed the frequency. Nothing seemed to make a difference.

I've been over the area with my AT Pro and it never makes that much noise.

What I'm I doing wrong? :?::?:

Thank you everyone!

When you take the nox in a warm car than take it out to extreme temperature difference it will chatter ,give it 10 minutes to adjust to the colder temperature

Give the nox time to adjust to the colder temperature from a warm car ,that temperature difference will make the nox chatter , give it ten minutes

For what it’s worth, I had a CTX3030 that did the same exact thing. Thought it was my settings and it was intermittent. Eventually it got worse and worse and called minelab and they did a repair of the control module.

Then it was a silent machine (literally) and it ended up being sold. Went back to the trust AT Pro. For the AT Pro wrist issue, if you still have it, make sure the length of the shaft is proper for your stance. Too long or short can really mess your wrist up if it’s not balanced to your stance.

Thank you everyone for the helpful hints. Maybe it was the wind and the cold that got to my head the first time out, but I went out again yesterday and turned down my sensitivity. I had it at 20 (per the manual for "beginners"). I turned it down to 15 and it sounded much better. Mark and I spent about 3 hours hunting (still a little cold, but bearable). We went to a park that we knew was fairly clean. In 3 hours I dug up 77 clad coins and a small Our Lady of Guadeloupe pendent. Nothing too exciting, but it was still a good time swinging the coil and getting to know my knew machine.

Now the reason I really got this machine was to try to eliminate some wrist pain my AT Pro was giving me. At most I could do a 2 hour hunt. Yesterday I was out for 3 hours pain free. Yes, I am a happy girl!

Get the 6” coil and it’s light as a feather!

I got my new Equinox 800 yesterday. I took it out in the backyard last night and had a similar experience to the O.P. -- the thing is very chatty! I did the auto noise cancel and the ground balance. Even after that I was getting all kinds of noise.

So I re-read the entire manual and I think there is an error on page 34. In the chart it recommends a sensitivity of 20 for new users. But in the first paragraph it says "For beginners, start with a low setting and increase it progressively." 20 doesn't seem low.

I was detecting about 10 feet from my house. So I am thinking either:
1) The sensitivity was too high (it was at the default setting)
2) I was too close to the house and there was electrical interference
3) There's a ton of metal stuff in my backyard
4) It was dark and I really don't know what I'm doing yet.

Hopefully I'll figure it out later today.

I got my new Equinox 800 yesterday. I took it out in the backyard last night and had a similar experience to the O.P. -- the thing is very chatty! I did the auto noise cancel and the ground balance. Even after that I was getting all kinds of noise.

So I re-read the entire manual and I think there is an error on page 34. In the chart it recommends a sensitivity of 20 for new users. But in the first paragraph it says "For beginners, start with a low setting and increase it progressively." 20 doesn't seem low.

I was detecting about 10 feet from my house. So I am thinking either:
1) The sensitivity was too high (it was at the default setting)
2) I was too close to the house and there was electrical interference
3) There's a ton of metal stuff in my backyard
4) It was dark and I really don't know what I'm doing yet.

Hopefully I'll figure it out later today.

Hold your detector coil up in the air. If it’s noisy it’s Emi. Not the ground or targets in the ground.

I did a factory reset and switched from wireless to wired headphones. Its fine now.

Found two pieces of junk in my backyard today - a piece of foil and a rusted nail. Yippee!

I was a little frustrated at first. But help from the members of this forum and some time hitting the ground has changed that. I'm really liking my Nox now.
Oh my gosh! I learned that this weekend. I had a crazy time finding my target, even with the pinpointer, only to eventually find a tiny TINY washer or button, something I never dug up with my AT Pro.

What mode were you in? Park or Field?

When I switched from Park to Field I was digging up every little washer, zipper, cable connector and junk in the ground. :shock:

I had similar with my 600. What fixed it for me was to properly noise cancel and ground balance. The ground balance can be very difficult if you have a trashy search area. Noise cancel AWAY from the ground (about a foot or more). Ground balancing was my issue. So many targets in the ground I couldn’t find a clean spot to ground balance in.

What I did was go to all metal mode and find an area with the least amount of hits and ground balance. It became a completely quiet machine after that.

Back
Top Bottom