Nice way to start the year up in Connecticut

Mr. C

Hi All,

There were about 4 hours of 50 degree weather today, just enough time to try some spots I researched over the winter.

The first spot, a stone lined cellar hole yielded a lot of iron and an odd lead disc with writing. I am thinking it was a lead seal or token. I see the work chicago on one side, but cant make out the rest. If anyone recognizes it, let me know.

IMG_20180224_141439072.jpg

IMG_20180224_141451149.jpg

At the second spot I found the wheat pictured above and a buffalo nickel with no discernible date.

I had a little time before the rain came in, so i went to a spot that has previously given up a V nickel and some wheats and after a dozen or so full copper Lincoln pennies (each with a nice patina that made me think it was a wheat), i found a first for me.

IMG_20180224_131044972.jpg

1962 D franklin half. My only other half was a 1944 walker and that was a very long time ago.

She rang up a solid 97 on the deus and was only about 4 inches down. Like most halves that are found, it is likely myself or others had our coil over it before, but for some reason the signal sound dig'able today. I know i have been within a foot of this coin on at least 3 previous trips.
IMG_20180224_141112577.jpg

The temp is going back down for the next week, but soon enough it will be time to get out again AND i am waiting for my new 11 inch coil, so Its gonna be a good year.

Thanks for looking
Mr. C

Mr. C, congratulations on the Franklin Half. Good chance that there are more nice coins at that spot.

nice hunt.....

It was a nice day to get out and hunt.... Great finds....

Those first two lead pieces appear to be old seals, always cool to find, but congrats on a nice hunt , the big silver is a beauty.

I think your right. My wife googled that and its a thing. Looks like it was a herbicide or sonething. I imagine it was attached to a big sack of the stuff.

Big Ben

WTG with the big silver. My first half dollar came flying out of the ground when I was prying on it. The ground broke loose, and this big silver coin came tumbling up in the air and I saw the bell, and I called it before it hit the ground. "That's a Benjamin" I said to myself. I was so happy. I remember them when I was a kid. I had a paper route, and the lady down the street would leave one for me under a flower pot every Sunday, when I left her two Sunday papers on her front porch.

Congrats MR.C !!!
What a nice hunting break from winter .
Just an amaizing big silver save !
Love the post .
,Dew

Back
Top Bottom