Gun at 8 inches!

Jodo_Kast501

I got out detecting this afternoon without finding anything earth-shattering, but I did manage to find a pistol. I thought that it was a toy at first (haven't we all found at least one or two toy guns?). It turns out that it's an RTS Vanguard, a starter pistol (for races, etc.) that, as best as I can tell, was made in the 1960s and earlier. It fires .22 caliber blanks and is built to be incapable of accepting rounds with projectiles. Starting pistols apparently are classed by the ATF as firearms, so this is technically the first firearm that I've found!

Other finds were $2.35 in clad and a surprisingly large amount of scrap copper.

vyjRgxlh.jpg

Happiness is a warm gun, or in your case, a dirty one....cool find. It stopped raining here in the afternoon and I was able to get out too. No gun but I did come home with a stainless steel spoon and about 85 cents in clad.

HDD

Great find.
I have one just like it I bought new in the mid 60's.
This put me to thinking. I don't know where it is now.

DG

A starters pistol? That crazy !
Very cool find . Gotta clean that thing inside and out . Might still work , bet you can order parts for it yet too. Gotta rebuild it for sure . đź‘Ť

That's pretty cool. I'm sitting here thinking how the heck it got lost, you suppose the person was going crazy wondering what happened to it? :grin:

I have never found a real firearm and only one complete cap gun in about forty years of detecting. I have found parts from probably a hundred or more. They must have played a lot of cowboys and Indians around here years ago.

Back
Top Bottom