• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Having issues with break ins in my area

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
To whom it may concern:
Theres literally 2 houses on my road, I live in a very small town. Our biggest store is Cumberland farms :laughing: about 10 AM Saturday morning we left to go to East Yarmouth for a night, and when we get to the end of the road, there's a vehicle parked at the top of the road, almost blocking the road off. I waited 20 seconds or so to see if they would leave, but they didn't, so I went around them. My wife got a good look at the driver, and says he looks like Elton John :lol: Fast forward to yesterday morning, my wife leaves to go shopping, and that same vehicle is parked near my neighbor's garage, and they are NOT home. My wife waited and watched just in case. Next thing you know they guy comes out of my neighbor's garage! He was taking pictures during this time as well. But was empty handed, other than his camera phone. My wife called the neighbors just to verify that someone should be going in their garage while they arent home, and she said noone should be in that garage, noone is home, and it was really weird and creepy. A little side note, they have a really nice old antique car stored in that garage, and who knows what else. My wife saw this on a local police stations Facebook page this morning:

Update on car breaks and stolen motor vehicles.

"In cooperation with state and other agencies, we are working hard on catching those who have been plaguing our area.

We have found their Modus Operandi to be to travel from the Hartford, CT area in groups and swarm a neighborhood, searching for unlocked vehicles and stealing anything of value, including key fobs and/or the vehicle itself. There have been some reports suspect have entered unsecured garages and residences looking for vehicle keys/fobs.

The suspects then flee back to Connecticut, often making fraudulent purchases at gas stations convenience stores and fast food chains with stolen credit/debit cards.

An informed public is our best defense to this type of crime. Please remove valuables from your motor vehicles (especially keys and fobs). Lock your car doors. Report any suspicious activity in your neighborhood. As most people in Oakham have off-street parking, be particular aware of vehicles parked on the side of the road at you don't recognize (especially with CT license plates).

Finally, please call us if you observe something suspicious as it is happening. Calling us at 9:00 a.m. to tell us you saw/heard something at 4:00 a.m. does us no good."

Now, I dont live in Oakham, but I do live close to it and being in such a small town, we have never had to worry about this really, but it worries me. My family's safety is priority #1. Seems to be happening alot in Worcester county, MA. I'll be locking everything up tight, and setting up surveillance. Hopefully we can put an end to this sooner rather than later. Be safe out there everyone, between riots, viruses, etc, it's a scary world out there right now!

Considering police presence might be sporadic, and not very timely, along with the current societal woes, I suggest you resort to the 3 S's.

Roger

If you have WIFI you might consider a completely wireless camera that can send you alerts if it detects movement.

We don't have the break-in issues in our immediate local area but I simply like being able to see our property even when we are not at home.

The most recent camera we got is one that uses WIFI and is solar powered so we can put it away from the house for even better overage, you also have the ability to remotely rotate and tilt the camera to get almost a 360 degree view.

We have other cameras, but this newest camera we've only had about a month and a half but so far it's been working fine, it was only about $160 so not bad for what it can do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6PXRR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

You can also get a micro SD card to put in it and it can automatically record to it when it detects movement and play it back remotely on your phone, that way you have a hard copy instead of using the cloud service. You can view the live feed and recorded videos on your computer also.

Just a suggestion !

This is what I use for security and it works great for me. It will notify your phone should anything happen, plus take video and pictures of the event.

https://www.ridgetecoutdoors.com/

Another note it works off Verison and ATT, so anywhere that svc is available it will talk to you. We have property in Canada and we are located in Georgia and it talks to us.

My Sister and Brother-In-Law live in a very remote area in the Ozarks on a dead end road. When they find someone who is suspicious nearby they alert police to make more frequent patrols and make it their business to find out what the subject(s) are doing there. They have hidden cameras and motion sensors all around their property and have caught several subjects "up to no good".

Lots in the area have had their incomes cut off or short, and might do things in desperation. There are many hooked on the common drug alcohol, available everywhere and easy to get, and can get to be a very expensive daily habit to feed.

I believe the best idea is to keep in contact with neighbors and like someone else mentioned, a wifi camera security setup that can alert.

A most frustrating situation indeed!

This is one reason KT has a long winding driveway up to the Castle entrance. From the road, summer or winter, it is impossible to see if any vehicles are in the Castle Carport. Castle faces north, access road trends north-south, done that way initially for solar water system, but has resulted in better security. Neighbors have had some problems in recent years as the area has changed from rural to suburban. Fortunately the access road is a dead end cul-de-sac, and has a sign posted at the entrance....No Outlet. That seems to be somewhat of a general deterent. Potential perps do not like, in general, to go down a road that has only one outlet. Our neighbors have been notified that should shtf, several of we retirees will block the entrance and only allow residents and essential folks like mail delivery personnel access. Security will be shared amongst all our residents! This was thought out some 2 years ago....as a just incase situation.

It so far appears that semi-rural Arkansas has not been a major target, it being so much simpler to watch your city neighbors and when they leave for work, go hit their possessions.

Very difficult situation to deal with emotionally, as well as physically.

A most frustrating situation indeed!

This is one reason KT has a long winding driveway up to the Castle entrance. From the road, summer or winter, it is impossible to see if any vehicles are in the Castle Carport. Castle faces north, access road trends north-south, done that way initially for solar water system, but has resulted in better security. Neighbors have had some problems in recent years as the area has changed from rural to suburban. Fortunately the access road is a dead end cul-de-sac, and has a sign posted at the entrance....No Outlet. That seems to be somewhat of a general deterent. Potential perps do not like, in general, to go down a road that has only one outlet. Our neighbors have been notified that should shtf, several of we retirees will block the entrance and only allow residents and essential folks like mail delivery personnel access. Security will be shared amongst all our residents! This was thought out some 2 years ago....as a just incase situation.

It so far appears that semi-rural Arkansas has not been a major target, it being so much simpler to watch your city neighbors and when they leave for work, go hit their possessions.

Very difficult situation to deal with emotionally, as well as physically.

Can't you just close the drawbridge over the moat? :lol:

Considering police presence might be sporadic, and not very timely, along with the current societal woes, I suggest you resort to the 3 S's.

Roger

Shoot, steal and, uh, shorts around one's knees?

I kid I kid. Really though, what are they?

I called the Sheriff about an accident near my driveway. It took them over forty-five minutes to find the place. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Exact same MO is happening in Texas. Difference is that Adult leaders are using Teenagers to do the dirty work.

Cops busted one ring, incredible amount of stuff they stole. Guns, large amounts of cash etc. Really stunning what people will leave in an unlocked car.

I called the Sheriff about an accident near my driveway. It took them over forty-five minutes to find the place. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I was burgled back in 1994. I got home and found the busted window, and a ransacked house. It took the sheriff 45 minutes to even show up. First time was when one of my home alarm door sensors mistakenly gone off and I got an alert from the service. Left work in Dallas, drove 45 minutes, and stood in my front yard for another 45 minutes following a call to the police, before an officer arrived. Cops don't really prioritize robberies at home. Jm2c

Yeah, 45-50 minutes away! 😄😄

I used to live 1 block from the sheriff's department. I put a outdoor siren on my alarm and pointed it at them. I figured if they didn't get there FAST everyone would know it and it would be VERY embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom