• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Trouble in the Castle!

Sorry to hear about your Royal Phone Trouble.

I had a Tracfone for years but always hated buying cards and charging the phone rigamarole, not to mention going online looking for those **** discount codes. I also had long waits sometimes for the new minutes to show up on the phone. Their overseas tech "help" is horrible too.

After I got outta the hospital 5 years ago, I just switched to Consumer Cellular (basic flipfone) and am pretty happy just paying a set monthly bill that never goes up. Another thing I hated, TF said I needed to upgrade the phone b/c they were going up to the next level (4g at that time). I know someone who never did and their "old" system TF continued to work years after that. I don't miss TF at all.;)

Yes there are still landline phone services out there. Usually the subscriber is elderly, 95% of the time. “I’m to old to figure out a cell phone”. Even tho they’ve been mainstream for over 20 years. My father had one in his pickup back in the 80’s.

Reminded me of this comic :laughing:
Muds_seniorcellphone3.jpg

Our phone policy is: Don't call us, we'll call you. :D Answering machine weeds out undesireables.

Excellent policy! At the Castle the Royal Family goes one step past an answering machine...We have a free internet service called NOMOROBO. Look it up sometime! In list for free by giving them your land line phone number, they screen your calls...they have millions of scammers numbers, if it is a scammer or robo call, your land line rings once, then hangs up....At first we were getting like 40 calls a day, but now we rarely get even 1 call...seems once rejected they take you off their list! :laughing::laughing:

Yes there are still landline phone services out there. Usually the subscriber is elderly, 95% of the time. “I’m to old to figure out a cell phone”. Even tho they’ve been mainstream for over 20 years. My father had one in his pickup back in the 80’s.

Hey, amc rulz....KT just has to ask...you say the subscriber is elderly, 95% of the time...now tell Old KT please, what is the subscriber the other 5% of the time???? :laughing::laughing::lol::lol::lol::toofunny:

Just had to get that tease in! :lol::lol:

Excellent policy! At the Castle the Royal Family goes one step past an answering machine...We have a free internet service called NOMOROBO. Look it up sometime! In list for free by giving them your land line phone number, they screen your calls...they have millions of scammers numbers, if it is a scammer or robo call, your land line rings once, then hangs up....At first we were getting like 40 calls a day, but now we rarely get even 1 call...seems once rejected they take you off their list! :laughing::laughing:
Thanks, I'll give it a look.....

Too bad they don't have that for mobile numbers also :lol:

KT has heard they are working on it! Maybe some day...

Thankfully the frequency of robocalls on our mobile phones have went way down over the past few months so maybe they have a solution in place already that stopped most of them, still get a telemarketing or robocall occasionally but nothing like it used to be.

Thankfully the frequency of robocalls on our mobile phones have went way down over the past few months so maybe they have a solution in place already that stopped most of them, still get a telemarketing or robocall occasionally but nothing like it used to be.

The very first call KT received on His New Royal Cell Phone was from someone telling me they were concerned about my credit card...His Majesty's answer? CLICK! :laughing::laughing:

Got an email from CNET today that included this article:

Stop annoying robocalls to your phone using every trick we know

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-annoying-robocalls-to-your-phone-using-every-trick-we-know/

.....among many other tips they included one some people don't think about:

"Don't respond to any questions that can be answered with a "Yes."" (end quote)

......because if they are recording you and are not honest they could say the "yes" you said was in response to agreeing to buy whatever they were selling or to be added to their calling list, ect.

Never thought I'd see a Tracfone thread here, lol. My 2 cents...

I had it back in the day. I remember finding free landline phones so I could call my voicemail and not incur minutes! Eventually I joined the 21st century, and abandoned tracfone for better priced plans with data.

However...my mother still has a tracfone. We keep it going for about $5 per month -- probably the best deal out there bar none!

The trick is to buy airtime online. $20 for 60 minutes/90 days. That's normal. But then the website will offer an add-on of an additional years' activation for only $50. That's 15 months for $70 plus taxes/fees. I think it was ~$77 last time. We've been doing this for at least a decade... I check the 'net for recent mentions that the offer is still there, and so far it's always been available.

The downside is it's only 60 minutes (actually doubled to 120) per 15 months. Since the phone is primarily for emergencies, those minutes, and the 400 minute/1 year cards we used to buy, have rolled over many times and she has tons accumulated.

Dealing with tracfone customer service is a true joy (sarcasm alert!) but thankfully I've only had to deal with them a handful of times -- usually during phone swaps. Eventually they get it right, though. The online transactions have gone smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom